The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Board › Sam Chalpin's Batman Theme.
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sam Chalpin's Batman Theme. (Read 11792 times)
NJ_Batfan
Gothamite

Celebrating 45 Years of
Batmania

The Garden State Bat Cave
Sam Chalpin's Batman Theme.
02/04/06 at 9:28pm

I know Lee has the Bat-music site, but I thought I'd share this one with you that I found by accident.
Has anyone ever heard Sam Chalpin's version of the Batman Theme?

For that matter, has anyone ever heard of Sam Chalpin???    

Perhaps it's for the best, but check this one out at your own risk. It remains posted until Monday, February 6.

www.basichip.com        Check out the Album of the Week.

BTW, the backing track sounds like the version on the Batman Golden Records album set.

Doesn't everyone have a bust of Shakespeare and a red phone in their studies?

IP Logged

NJ_Batfan
Gothamite

Celebrating 45 Years of
Batmania

The Garden State Bat Cave
Re: Sam Chalpin's Batman Theme.
Reply #1 - 02/04/06 at 9:46pm

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

After posting, I googled Sam Chalpin and came across the sad story behind this album, as told by one of its engineers.

Read on: www.spectropop.com/SamChalpin

Doesn't everyone have a bust of Shakespeare and a red phone in their studies?

IP Logged

Lee Kirkham
Bat Moderator

Who's that little old
man?

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #2 - 02/05/06 at 12:15am

Actually, I've had Sam's LP listed on my site for quite some time now. I have read the article you posted a link for and let me tell you folks, you gotta read it to believe it! What a hoot!

Lee Kirkham leekirkham http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=543108907 lee_kirkham BudUgly  
IP Logged

BatfanRicky
Absolutely Batty

"All in a days crimefighting"
(Batman60s)

Londinium, England, UK
Reply #3 - 02/05/06 at 3:05pm

Cool, thanks for the link!  Wink

Heres the link for the file:
http://www.whistlingrecords.com/basichip/album_of_the_week/track_10.mp3

I posted the direct link, because theirs two different "Abulm Of The Week", just incase you have a hard time finding it like I did..... Or maybe I can't read...  Roll Eyes

WWW batman60s  
IP Logged

Greenway
Not a Newbie

Never grew up and proud
of it!

Meriden,CT.,USA
Reply #4 - 02/05/06 at 4:54pm

When I first heard this,I thought it was funny as all get-out (almost as bad as ME singing... Grin),but after reading the story behind it,all I could think of was what an utterly despicable creep that Ed Chalpin must've been ! Angry  I mean,he couldn't have at least given his poor old Dad a little pocket money for doing it??  Angry

"Holy John Hancock,Batman!!"

IP Logged

Crambam
Bat Newbie

I Love The 1966 Batman!

NYC
Reply #5 - 01/16/07 at 3:00pm

I just happened upon this website.  For what it's worth, Sam Chalpin is my grandfather, and Ed Chalpin is my uncle.  While all this stuff happened a few years before I was born, based on my own experiences, my uncle is not the bastard that the article makes him out to be.  Though my grandfather died in 1969, I just don't believe that my uncle treated him that way, because if he was that kind of a human being, it would have shown throughout my life.  Who could like a guy like that?  Besides, on occasion, my uncle would talk about my grandfather, and he just didn't come off as someone who could treat him that poorly.  I expect there was a hell of a lot of editorializing in that article. 

As for the album itself, it was recorded as a comedy.  A gag.  My grandfather believe it or not WAS a good singer.  He used to be a cantor for his temple.  That album was basically clowning around. 

What completely sucked was that I missed that week or month the whole album was posted on the internet.  I have one copy of the vinyl, but it's 2007, so that does very little good.

IP Logged

Lee Kirkham
Bat Moderator

Who's that little old
man?

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #6 - 01/16/07 at 5:18pm

Crambam wrote on 01/16/07 at 3:00pm:
I just happened upon this website.  For what it's worth, Sam Chalpin is my grandfather, and Ed Chalpin is my uncle.  While all this stuff happened a few years before I was born, based on my own experiences, my uncle is not the bastard that the article makes him out to be.  Though my grandfather died in 1969, I just don't believe that my uncle treated him that way, because if he was that kind of a human being, it would have shown throughout my life.  Who could like a guy like that?  Besides, on occasion, my uncle would talk about my grandfather, and he just didn't come off as someone who could treat him that poorly.  I expect there was a hell of a lot of editorializing in that article.  

As for the album itself, it was recorded as a comedy.  A gag.  My grandfather believe it or not WAS a good singer.  He used to be a cantor for his temple.  That album was basically clowning around.  

What completely sucked was that I missed that week or month the whole album was posted on the internet.  I have one copy of the vinyl, but it's 2007, so that does very little good.  

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for giving another side to the story. Ya gotta figure that happened so many years ago and peoples recounts tend to get exaggerated as time passes. The whole thing did tend to sound a bit sensationalized. Enjoy your time here, and please feel free to chime in when the feeling hit s you!

Lee Kirkham leekirkham http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=543108907 lee_kirkham BudUgly  
IP Logged

Crambam
Bat Newbie

I Love The 1966 Batman!

NYC
Reply #7 - 01/18/07 at 2:24pm

Thanks.  Obviously, with my uncle in the music business, people have been badmouthing him for years.  One of his biggest claims to fame was being one of the first people to sign Hendrix to a professional contract.  This actually happened before Hendrix became famous, but once that happened, my uncle was sitting on a hell of a contract.  When that happens, the big guy tries to take advantage of the little guy, but my uncle doesn't take any crap, so there are lawsuits abound.  Lawsuits make people unhappy, especially when you win far more often than you lose.  So in a nutshell, there are a lot of people that don't like my uncle.

Like I said, I seriously can't imagine my uncle being THAT much of a dick to his father.  If he gave him a hard time, it was probably like most adult children give their parents a hard time.  I doubt anyone doesn't fight with their parents no matter what the age.  Doesn't mean you don't have a good relationship.

My guess is that the guy who wrote that article just didn't like my uncle very much and exaggerated what happened.  Bottom line is when could that article have been written?  A couple of year ago?  That recording session was in the 1960s.  Not exactly fresh in anyone's mind.

Oh, and I'm a huge 1960s Batman fan.  If only they can get that show out on DVD.

IP Logged

Original Cynic
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/17/08 at 9:40pm

I was just taking a trip down memory lane and wandered across this link to Ed Chalpin and his father.  In all due respect to Ed Chalpin's niece, the article published by Spectropop was, although hilarious, pretty much accurate.  I was around at that time doing "cover" records for PPX.  Let's just say Ed never got honorable mention from anyone who had business or personal relations with him.

IP Logged

Crambam
Bat Newbie

I Love The 1966 Batman!

NYC
Reply #9 - 10/01/08 at 11:27pm

With all due respect to the guy who is claiming the article was accurate, you are about as wrong about that as you are about my gender.

The events of that article took place more than 40 years ago.  Unless you are the guy who wrote it, you weren't in the room, so you are in no position to say a word.

Regarding my uncle and business, I'll agree he isn't the most popular man in the world.  That happens in a tough industry where people try to grab things that aren't theirs.  My uncle will fight anyone legally to protect his rights.  That will always rub people the wrong way.

But that's irrelevant to the topic at hand, which was a slanderous article, written by a guy my uncle FIRED for selling him a fake watch, who obviously had a motive to libel him.  The incident was even mentioned by the ripoff artist in the article at the end, where he claims he QUIT. 

Bottom line is the guy who wrote the article has no clue how my uncle felt about his father, and clearly neither do you.  Of course I do, since I can actually ask people with firsthand knowledge, including my uncle himself.

True, there are plenty of people that are not fans of my uncle, but that has nothing to do with how the man felt about the man who raised him, and I can guarantee that the article in question is completely inaccurate, and written by a man with a grudge.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

IP Logged

darren nemeth
Absolutely Batty

Crimefighting Explained

Saginaw, Michigan
Reply #10 - 10/15/08 at 11:22pm

BatfanRicky wrote on 02/05/06 at 3:05pm:
Cool, thanks for the link!  Wink

Heres the link for the file:
http://www.whistlingrecords.com/basichip/album_of_the_week/track_10.mp3

I posted the direct link, because theirs two different "Abulm Of The Week", just incase you have a hard time finding it like I did..... Or maybe I can't read...  Roll Eyes

I couldn't download the file.

Is it available anywhere else to listen to?

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/
WWW https://www.facebook.com/#!/1966.Batman.Batboat  
IP Logged

James Light
Bat Newbie

I Love the 1966 Batman!

Reply #11 - 09/23/09 at 1:09am

Hi, I just registered because I came across this thread about Ed Chalpin and thought I would add my .02.

I recently met him when he was interviewing me for a job and we talked at length for a bit over one hour.
While no one here knows me, so it is hard for anyone here to get a good feeling for my personality, I will go ahead and say that one of the few gifts I have actively cultivated throughout my life is that I'm a damn good judge of character. So good that I generally make people who are used to fluff-conversations and living in their made-up ego-lands extremely uncomfortable and they generally say things like "...stop staring into my soul like that.."

That being said, I have to say a few things about Ed.
1) I see why he is unpopular. He's a strong man and doesn't apologize for anything. He's straight to the point and he is transparent about his goals to do well and honest about his distaste for certain things, without a hesitation.

2) He absolutely did not seem like a BS artist of any kind. Now, that may seem like a vapid comment at first, but for the Music Industry, that actually means a lot! A hell of a lot to me actually! EVERYONE drops names and blah blahs and tries to get you to really think they are just so bloody "cool" and "successful" and special and whatever is cool. It is a unique event to meet anyone NOT full of stuff in this industry. And that's not because they're bad people! It's because it's a feeling-based medium and you're selling feelings and dealing with egos. You learn to play games to survive. Ed seems to somehow have never done any of that or even cared to learn such things.

Strong people are always being ripped off, ripped down and bastardized. Unless someone can make a buck off of you, they generally try to put you below them. Nowhere more so than in music (in my experience anyway, having done several fields both in technical things and in artistic fields.)

I don't claim to know the guy's personal life at all, but seeing how he treated his Administrative Assistant, how he spoke to me, who he just met and is basically a 'nobody' to most people in his position, how he spoke on the phone to the lawyers and licensing agents who called during the interview (when he took the calls, which was few) I have an extremely hard time believing all the negative things that are being spread and that I read before meeting him. (even before meeting him I had a predispostion to NOT liking him because of all that is being spread about him.)

He's a straight up guy and if he had any inkling of malice or arrogance in him I think it would have shown clear as day.

I challenge and request that people keep an open mind about him. I'm not taking the job he's offering because I'm actually happy where I'm at, so this doesn't really gain me anything to sign up here to say my piece, actually it is taking the time that I need to get a lot of work done and I'd much rather be working on things as I have a lot of catching up to do on some work-related stuff. I just feel like someone who isn't related to him, just met him and generally dislikes most people I meet in the music industry could give another perspective. I hope it is at least somewhat received, although people generally don't like to be told they're wrong.

Also, I watched the 1966 batman all the time growing up, so the batman kid part of me is really happy to post here.  Cheesy

There's a student (undergraduate) at the college I graduated from who goes to class in a batman cape. That maybe should be a different post, but I figured ths should at least contain SOMEthing batman-related and interesting or else that's just disrespectful to the rest of the community here. Smiley

I hope this post isn't flame bait. I have no intention of continuing an argument or anything nor trolling boards.

IP Logged

BATBASSMAN
Bat Enthusiast

1966 BATMAN & ROBIN FANBATULOUS!

Montreal,Canada
Reply #12 - 09/23/09 at 9:23am

I want to let you guys know that.I come from an Italian family and I also have a few Jewish friends.
One thing we have in common(not everyone's like that )is that a lot of us are loud mouthed,we sometimes tend to scream at each other,up to the point where it looks like we're going to kill each other.
But make no mistake.
It only looks that way,we actually are having a "normal" conversation.
It's a cultural thing.
That's what I believe probably happened at that time.
What you see is not necessarily,what you get.

IP Logged

darren nemeth
Absolutely Batty

Crimefighting Explained

Saginaw, Michigan
Reply #13 - 09/23/09 at 12:05pm

If anyone knows where I can hear that song online please tell me.  I can't find it is searches. Sad

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/
WWW https://www.facebook.com/#!/1966.Batman.Batboat  
IP Logged

Crambam
Bat Newbie

I Love The 1966 Batman!

NYC
Reply #14 - 01/11/10 at 10:28pm

James--I'm actually curious where you interviewed with my uncle.

People have tried to take advantage of him his whole life, and he is definitely unpopular with those people.  The man stands up for things that are rightfully his, and not everyone likes that.

I definitely have seen how Ed Chalpin speaks about his father.  He is not the monster that article makes him out to be.  He is not a perfect man, but that article was ridiculous.

Now, for those interested in hearing my grandfather's awful rendition of the Batman theme-- I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbWAT7ElUF0

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print