Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Captain Action Green Hornet (Read 3501 times)
Batmask
Bat Newbie

I Love Collecting The
(various) Batmobiles!

Captain Action Green Hornet
10/03/07 at 3:39am

Hey,
Did anyone notice the Captain Action Green Hornet costume MIB on ebay recently? It had a fairly low "Buy it Now" price!

IP Logged

Commish
Busy Bat

If we ever needed him,
we need him now.

Re: Captain Action Green Hornet
Reply #1 - 10/03/07 at 4:52am

Hi Batmask and welcome to the board!!

I haven't seen any MIB *vintage* CA Green Hornet costumes recently but there was that C9 loose set that went for just under 400.

How recent is recent?

IP Logged

brucemcwaynejr
Free-Bird

One should always keep
abreast of foreign tongues

Reply #2 - 10/03/07 at 7:13am

that's so sad.

I have two original loose sets (one set is C9/10 and complete)

I could have sold them for at least $100 each piece back in 1991-95, and the mask, hat, and gas gun for $150 - $200 a piece: that's like $1,300 a loose set!

The Playing Mantis sets were so dead-on (except the PM hat's brim was too short: like a porkpie hat not a fedora. I think that was so it would fit on Cap's head in the window box. The original was packaged sewn flat on the card and Cap's dummy had "painted" hair) that they killed the market for the rarer bits.

Angry

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!" Batman: "Easily." Robin: "Easily." Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin." Robin: "Thank you." Batman: "You're welcome."

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Reply #3 - 10/03/07 at 3:07pm

brucemcwaynejr wrote on 10/03/07 at 7:13am:
The Playing Mantis sets were so dead-on (except the PM hat's brim was too short: like a porkpie hat not a fedora. I think that was so it would fit on Cap's head in the window box. The original was packaged sewn flat on the card and Cap's dummy had "painted" hair) that they killed the market for the rarer bits.[/b]
Angry

Oh, the PM/GH tv device's screen was different in that the image was Carmine Infantino's illustration of the then-new Kato figure.

IP Logged

brucemcwaynejr
Free-Bird

One should always keep

Reply #4 - 10/04/07 at 5:16am

yeah, instead of the city scene or whatever the original had.

I don't know why they did that; it sure wasn't a copyright thing.

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!" Batman: "Easily." Robin: "Easily." Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin." Robin: "Thank you." Batman: "You're welcome."

IP Logged

NJ_Batfan
Gothamite

Celebrating 45 Years of
Batmania

Reply #5 - 10/04/07 at 11:41pm

I actually owned the Captain Action Green Hornet set (along with Batman, Superman, and Tonto) as a child, but discarded them one day when I decided I was too old for such toys. Needless to say, I've regreted that decision  far longer than I actually owned them. That said, I was overjoyed to haunt the toy stores when the Playing Mantis line came out several years ago. I was disappointed that Playing Mantis never came to terms to re-release the Batman and Superman sets.

Doesn't everyone have a bust of Shakespeare and a red phone in their studies?

IP Logged

Commish
Busy Bat

If we ever needed him,
we need him now.

Reply #6 - 10/05/07 at 6:15am

...or Captain America! Which was - after GH - my next most favorite costume for CA.
I still can't believe that they didn't make a Kato costume for...for...oh crud - what was the name of Capt. Action's sidekick? I never owned one but I know there were a few costumes for him....

That Kato costume was another area where Playing Mantis got it right.

Like NJ_Batfan, I had a GH costume but I never threw it away - I just wore it out by playing (eating, hiking, sleeping, talking) with it. I took that thing everywhere I went!

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

Reply #7 - 10/05/07 at 1:01pm

Commish wrote on 10/05/07 at 6:15am:
...or Captain America! Which was - after GH - my next most favorite costume for CA.
I still can't believe that they didn't make a Kato costume for...for...oh crud - what was the name of Capt. Action's sidekick? I never owned one but I know there were a few costumes for him....

That Kato costume was another area where Playing Mantis got it right.

I guess a number of factors come into play...

A. if The Green Hornet TV series lasted at least another season, & Batman's ratings were strong for season 3, that--in consideration with DC and Marvel's cartoons (which were performing well enough) may have helped sales on superhero-related toys to remain strong...

B. With interest in superhero merchandise alive & well, perhaps this would have lead Ideal to not only keep the Captain Action line alive, but inspire the company to produce a Kato costume for the Action Boy figure. Maybe Captain America's WW2 partner, Bucky. Maybe the Flash & Kid Flash. Lots of "ifs" and "maybes" there.

Personally, it would have been great if Playing Mantis made a Kato costume to fit their reissued Action Boy figure (now renamed "Kid Action") instead of the 12-inch body.

IP Logged

Commish
Busy Bat

If we ever needed him,
we need him now.

Reply #8 - 10/05/07 at 9:58pm

Action Boy - that was the name! (it's downright spooky to think I could miss a name that simple!)
Thanks BatwingedHornet!

IP Logged

brucemcwaynejr
Free-Bird

One should always keep

Reply #9 - 07/30/08 at 9:16pm

That era's Robin, Superboy, and Aqualad all were boys.

Kato was an Asian man.

...and I wouldn't be surprised if some racial discrimination was afoot, too.

IP Logged

Troy
Absolutely Batty

Some days you just can't
get rid of a bomb!

Reply #10 - 07/30/08 at 10:46pm

It's odd...I have just about all of the CA outfits and parts and not one original Green Hornet piece.   Undecided

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

Reply #11 - 07/31/08 at 7:14pm

brucemcwaynejr wrote on 07/30/08 at 9:16pm:
That era's Robin, Superboy, and Aqualad all were boys.

Kato was an Asian man.

True, but every visual version of the character up to that time--from the serials, comics and TV series, Kato was not the average adult size--or not as tall as the lead. On TV, Bruce Lee's Kato was around the same height as Burt Ward's Robin, so if a Captain Action Kato was produced at the time, I think they would have used the Action Boy body.

Quote:
...and I wouldn't be surprised if some racial discrimination was afoot, too.

Do you mean in Ideal not producing a Kato figure in 1967? If that is what you mean, i'm not so sure. The TV Kato was featured on innumerable pieces of GH tie-in merchandise, so if Ideal was operating off of any anti-Asian sentiment, they would have only served to cut their own throats/profits in rejecting a very popular character (when other licensees had no problem using Kato).

IP Logged

brucemcwaynejr
Free-Bird

One should always keep

Reply #12 - 08/04/08 at 5:03pm

If you look at the Action Boy Robin you'll see it is based on the silver age comicbook Robin (who is a child) and not at all on Burt Ward (just as the CA Batman is not at all like Adam West). The same goes for Aqua Lad and Superboy: there are kids.

Hold up an AB and CA together and imagine a Kato outfit on him; it wouldn't look right. The scale is way off.
If CA is supposed to be six-feet tall, then AB is barely five.
(11.5"= 6' --- 9"= 4' 9" approx.)

I was always wondering where Kato was when I was a kid playing with my CA Green Hornet, then, years later, had heard rumors that one had been produced and was rare, etc... not true, sadly.

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

Reply #13 - 08/04/08 at 7:49pm

brucemcwaynejr wrote on 08/04/08 at 5:03pm:
If you look at the Action Boy Robin you'll see it is based on the silver age comicbook Robin (who is a child) and not at all on Burt Ward (just as the CA Batman is not at all like Adam West). The same goes for Aqua Lad and Superboy: there are kids.

The Action Boy costume package features Murphy Anderson's illustrations of Robin and Aqualad as teenagers--which they were in Silver Age comics, hence their membership in The Teen Titans starting in that same decade.

Being teens, their height would be (roughly) that of Burt Ward and Bruce Lee's at the time, which is why I mentioned the actors--especially Lee in relation to Van's height as the Hornet.

Quote:
Hold up an AB and CA together and imagine a Kato outfit on him; it wouldn't look right. The scale is way off.
If CA is supposed to be six-feet tall, then AB is barely five.
(11.5"= 6' --- 9"= 4' 9" approx.)

I understand your scaling facts, but I have to think that was more of a fault of Ideal, than a deliberate attempt on their part to suggest the characters were children. Again, I point to the characters ages in the comics of that period, the illustrations used, and their membership in The Teen Titans. Further, with the comic-book Dick Grayson entering college at the end of the decade (Batman #217, 1969), he must have been in his mid to late leens in comics published around the time the Action Boy costumes were produced.

Also, the earlier point about Kato, is that he is physically smaller than GH--like a teen's size in every visual version up to that point, so Ideal using the adult Captain Action body for Kato (as Playing Mantis would later do in 1998) would have appeared incorrect--especially when kids watched GH on TV (and/or read the Gold Key comics) and clearly viewed Kato as shorter---very close to Burt's size.

IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

That's it! It's an omen...
I shall become a BAT!!

Reply #14 - 08/04/08 at 10:29pm

Clearly the execs on the CA line weren't as detail oriented as you, BWH.

I doubt the suits of the time gave much thought to the sidekicks-to them there wasn't any real difference between "teens" and "children"- if any of them remembered sidekicks at all, it was as the Golden Age boys, regardless of the costumes licensed for the current batch as the toys were produced. And those toys were aimed at  children, not comic reading "teens". The sidekick was suposed to be a wish-fulfillment surrogate character in the first place.

OMG- I'm posting detailed analysis of action figure marketing. I'd better order a beer with dinner, just so I can prove my old geezer credentials. Wink

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top