The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Board › ROBIN PUT TO SLEEP
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
ROBIN PUT TO SLEEP (Read 36065 times)
sandman
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

ROBIN PUT TO SLEEP
11/05/07 at 11:53am

Having seen the thread re Bruce Wayne's perilous moments it got me kinda wondering how often Robin has been knocked out - not just in the TV show but in comics, annuals, films, trading cards etc. The Boy Wonder seems to have spent half his crimefighting career sound asleep before, more often than not, awakening to find himself in some fiendish situation.

Love to see some images posted especially from the comics. How about Mr Polka Dots gas dots from Detective Comic 300 - haven't seen that goofy villain in years!

IP Logged

bubbashelby
Bat Neighbor

I Love The 1966 Batmobile!

Santa Cruz, CA.
Re: ROBIN PUT TO SLEEP
Reply #1 - 11/05/07 at 12:44pm

Welcome, Sandman! Great idea for a thread.

...&&

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Reply #2 - 11/05/07 at 4:41pm

Fascinating topic, sandman...and welcome to the Batcave!

Filmation's The Adventures of Batman from 1968 arrived on the heels of the live-action series, which vanished (cancelled) from ABC that same year, so the cliffhanger plot device of Robin in peril was a somewhat common event, as seen in a few caps below...

1 - 4 are from the episode, "The Crime Computer."

5 - 10 are from the Batgirl guest-star episode, "It Takes Two to Make a Team." Here, the Robin balancing over a pool full of hungry crocodiles was a direct "remake" of the cliffhanger of the live-action 2nd season episode, "The Spell of Tut" and the resolution (including Batman's rescue of the Boy Wonder via Batrope--not pictured here) in "Tut's Case is Shut." Image 10 was another "remake"--this time, from the live-action episode, "The Purr-fect Crime" (without the wall-mounted spikes).

Finally, 11 & 12 are from "Simon the Pieman."

IP Logged

Space Ghost
Bat-King

Central Florida, USA
Reply #3 - 11/05/07 at 5:15pm

Glad you could join us here Sandman. A big welcome from The Spaceghost!

You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood ...

IP Logged

Mark Racop
Bat Board Contributor

I'm just an ordinary,
average crimefighter...

Logansport, Indiana
Reply #4 - 11/05/07 at 8:40pm

That's why Robin's nickname was "Robin the Boy Hostage."  Wink

Mark Racop
Officially Licensed
1966 Batmobile Replicas

IP Logged

irishmiss
Bat Fabulous

Holy Die Hard Batman Fan
4-Ever !!!

Merrillville, Indiana
Reply #5 - 11/05/07 at 10:44pm

Really Mark - Shame Shame on you - The Boy Hostage my sweet Aunt Harriet !!!    Roll Eyes    Smiley     Cry

I would like to welcome sandman to our ever growing wonderful Bat Family !!!   I am raising my

Batman mug full of hot coffee in your honor - SALUTE !!!      Smiley

I just finished watching The Zodiac Crime episodes and in the third episode when The Penguin,

The Joker and their henchmen hitched a ride in the trunk of The Batmobile- Robin had just been

hit by The Penguin's umbrella and fell onto The Jokers shoulders and he was carrying the

unconscious Boy Wonder up the ladder to the Atomic Pile.  Thank Goodness Batman comes to his

old chums rescue.  Within a very short time Robin is fighting with The Joker who delivers a hard

punch to Robin's jaw and he begins to fall forward- but here comes Batman once again who grabs

Robin and helps him regain his bearings in order to finally bring Penguin, Joker and their stooges

to justice.

Also in Episodes 31 & 32 " Death In Slow Motion " / " The Riddler's False Notion " Batman is in the

Mr. Van Jone's mansion trying to deal with the guests who had been drugged with Temper Tonic in

their lemonade. Robin is sitting in The Batmobile when Pauline (Riddler's moll) dressed as Little Bo

Peep gasses Robin.  Then the Riddler's men take the unconscious boy to The Gotham City Lumbar

Yard where Riddler plans on splitting him in two !!!

There are many times that Robin The Boy Wonder ends up being knocked out or captured or gassed

or winds up in dangerous, deadly traps- but Batman is always nearby to come to his rescue !!!

Your Batfriend 4-Ever,

Kathy
IrishMiss Wink

Your BatFriend,

Kathy
IrishMiss
mcshanekathy@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Commish
Busy Bat

If we ever needed him,
we need him now.

Reply #6 - 11/06/07 at 1:29am

Great first post, sandman!

Welcome to the board!!

IP Logged

CatfanBogota archive
Crusader

I Love The Catwoman and
the Carrie Kelley Robin!

Apalachin, New York, USA
Reply #7 - 11/06/07 at 6:26am

Interesting idea!

And it reminds me: What might have happened if the original Robin had not made it in "Hi Diddle Riddle," and that Molly had been saved?  I think we wondered what might have happened if Batman had ended up with a female Robin 41 years ago.

Anyway, you have a great post!  ˇBienvenidos!

WWW CatfanBogota archive CatfanBogota archive gothamcatfan CatfanBogota  
IP Logged

boyblunder
Gothamite

Holy helpless Batman!

Toronto Canada
Reply #8 - 11/06/07 at 10:17am

Yes great first post and have to add my welcome to the board. Robin was knocked out/gassed and put in some amazing traps and perils. Some of my favourite episodes involved Batman rescuing the Boy Hos..umm Boy Wonder  Tongue

boywonder2004_2009  
IP Logged

sandman
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #9 - 11/06/07 at 11:57am

Thanks for the fantastic welcome and it's great to be here. One of my favourite Robin knockout's was from The Bookworm Turns when henchmoll Lydia Limpet tricks the younster into opening a book filled with sleeping gas.

IP Logged

sandman
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #10 - 11/07/07 at 11:51am

A few Robin knockouts/perils:

A Topps Trading Card from 1966 has Robin chloroformed by a thug acting for Catwoman. (Chloroform never used on the TV show - any thoughts why?)

False Face's moll Blaze uses knockout powder to subdue Robin.

Charmed by Lydia Limpet the Boy Wonder falls for a surprise sleeping gassing.

How clever you are, Robin. But not that clever! Sweet dreams!

IP Logged

sandman
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #11 - 11/07/07 at 4:36pm

Robin looks like being sliced to bits in another Topps card from'66.

The heat is on for the Boy Wonder on the frontispiece of Detective Comic 361.

The amazing Polka Dot man confronts the Dymanic duo from Detective Comics 300. From his suit this supervillain plucked an array of dots which exploded into a range of weapons including a magic carpet, giant buzzsaws and boxing gloves. Imagine him on the TV show!!

He captured Robin (with the help of a gas emitting dot) and took him to his lair - a large dot aka the abandoned tank in the city dump. While outlining his plan to defeat Batman he was unaware that Robin was listening in: ''Luckily I was already awake and [i]only faking unconsciousness. I've got to warn Batman, but how?''[/i] was the Boy Wonder's conundrum. As you've probably guessed within half a page he was freed by Batman and Mister Polka Dot was soon brought to book!!!

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Reply #12 - 11/07/07 at 5:22pm

Great stuff, sandman!

Here is another...

From Batman #232 (June, 1971) Robin finds himself in the grip of Ra's Al Ghul--with the help of the legendary team of Adams, O'Neil & Giordano!

IP Logged

1B1G
Aluminum Member

Don't foget to duck

Ontario CANADA
Reply #13 - 11/08/07 at 12:26am

Welcome as well.  Good to see that Robin is put to sleep more than Batgirl, well I hpoe Wink Grin
Good topic as well.

IP Logged

Mauled Vader
Bat Geezer

Greetings, Citizens!

Near Minneapolis
Reply #14 - 11/08/07 at 1:37am

Mark Racop wrote on 11/05/07 at 8:40pm:
That's why Robin's nickname was "Robin the Boy Hostage."  Wink

...and his favorite saying was, "HOLY HUMILIATED HOSTAGE, BATMAN!"  Grin

IP Logged