The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Crafts › my Robin costume pics and Robin cape snap question
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
my Robin costume pics and Robin cape snap question (Read 40896 times)
moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
my Robin costume pics and Robin cape snap question
07/01/08 at 1:58pm

Hello there.  I'm a lifetime 1966 Batman fan and have been dressing up like Robin for a few years now (I am a woman, that's a wig and a sock in the pictures).  I've been lurking on this board over the years but never posted before.  I'm very excited that my Rocky Horror cast Midnight Madness http://www.midnightmadness.org is going to do a shadowcast show of the 1966 Batman movie at midnight on Saturday July 19, 2008 here in Chicago at the Music Box Theatre.  Like a Rocky Horror Picture Show audience participation show, the fan-based cast acts out the entire movie (we lip synch and dress up in costumes and use props to match the movie) simultaneously as the movie plays. We are not professional actors but are a dedicated group of unpaid volunteer fans doing it for the love of the movies we do; our cast is a registered nonprofit organization that has been performing in Chicago for over 20 years. We usually perform as Midnight Madness for RHPS but we're using the cast name 'Dark midKnight' for our 1966 Batman show (we do shadowcast shows of other movies as well, such as Hedwig and Clue and Little Shop of Horrors).  I finally get to use all of my replica Batman '66 toys from my private fan collection (Shakespeare bust, batarangs, etc) onstage!  Chicago/Midwest people should definitely come see this show-- it's going to be a lot of fun.  There will be more info posted here soon:

http://www.midnightmadness.org/batman

My Duran Robin boots are being made right now, I really hope I get them in time for our show.  I'm also really excited about finally getting those.  I've wanted them for a long time.

I do have a costume question that I really would appreciate any help with.  Right now I have safety pins instead of the correct snaps holding my cape back.  I'm worried that the safety pins will tear my cape and really want to upgrade to the screen accurate snaps as soon as possible but am currently unsure about exact snap placement.  I think there might have been a diagram that someone made and posted to the old adamwestcostume group but sadly cannot find the file anywhere.  Any help?

Here are some pictures of my current Robin costume taken last weekend.  It's a work in progress (I'm waiting on my Duran boots to arrive and have several major upgrades eventually planned.  It is serviceable and comfortable, but sort of embarrassingly my current tunic is secretly a red sweatshirt chopped up and partially held together by duct tape on the inside and is currently tailored by dozens of hidden safety pins).  Input and comments are welcome, as I'm open to suggestions for improving the costume.  Again, I am a woman but try to pass as much for Burt Ward as possible when wearing the costume:

Thanks!  Again, the first ever 1966 Batman shadowcast show is for one night and one night only on Saturday July 19th at the Music Box in Chicago!  If you can you should totally attend!

--jenny

IP Logged

BatDarthMaul
Bat Resident

I Love The 1966 Batman!

West Haven, Utah
Re: my Robin costume pics and Robin cape snap question
Reply #1 - 07/01/08 at 7:19pm

In the Bat resources section,(second pouch from the left) there is a video or a How to on where the snaps go. Scott, who hosts the demo, shows exactly where they are placed on the Bat-suit. Robins match exactly with one exception and that is the snap at the back of the neck, which isn't there at all on Robin.

Good luck with the costume, the AWESOME show, and the snaps.

PS.. In some adult stores they have silicone "stuffings" for folk who are in gender transition. You may find a more realistic alternative to your sock.... Just a thought.

WWW threepiomaul cdedbdboi  
IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
Reply #2 - 07/01/08 at 7:54pm

Thank you!  That is very helpful!

I'm leaning towards using gold toned metal snaps (to blend in with the yellow cape more), maybe around 3/8" or 1/4" or so.  Or maybe white plastic ones, not sure.

Does anyone know the exact color/size that were used on Burt's original capes?  Were they black metal snaps?

IP Logged

Trevor
Busy Bat

"Gosh Batman!"

Virginia!
Reply #3 - 07/01/08 at 8:27pm

I seem to remember that the snaps were silver or gold. That's what mine are.

You and your suit look great! You'll love your Duran boots -- wish I was in the Chicago area! The movie event sounds like a blast.

Keep us posted.  Smiley

IP Logged

thefanboy59
Bat Geezer

Saugus,MA
Reply #4 - 07/01/08 at 9:38pm

Welcome aboard Moxieheart! Smiley

Your costume looks great! I don't think you need the sock unless you are going for a shock or funny look. If you want a little bulge maybe a spots protective cup.

Love to see a picture of you with no sock. Wink

IP Logged

Lee Kirkham
Bat Moderator

Who's that little old
man?

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #5 - 07/01/08 at 10:08pm

Jenny,

Welcome aboard!

Regardless of how you have your current costume put together, it looks great! Nice job. And thanks for sharing the photos.

Lee Kirkham leekirkham http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=543108907 lee_kirkham BudUgly  
IP Logged

MistaHand
Aluminum Member

Schenectady, NY
Reply #6 - 07/02/08 at 8:38am

Great costume! ! ! !

You totally had me fooled.... I would of never thought it was a sweatshirt...  GREAT JOB

WELCOME TO THE BOARD, hope to see more posts from you in the future...

Good luck at your show...

John

John Dodge
WWW mistahand1567@yahoo.com mistahand  
IP Logged

Scott Sebring
Bat Moderator

Just doing my duty as
a good citizen

Fontana, CA
Reply #7 - 07/02/08 at 9:57am

Looks great!  You make a great Robin.

Btw, here's some pictures of the original costumes with close ups of the silver snaps on the Robin cape. 
http://www.batfriend.com/mh/

...   ...
WWW batfriend66 scottsebringmusic scott.sebring  
IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
Reply #8 - 07/02/08 at 12:18pm

Thank you!  The pictures and the video tutorial have been very helpful.  I now feel fairly confident on how to attach those darn snaps.

One last question on the snaps-- I have a double layer satin cape.  When I sew the snaps to the cape should I sew through both layers or just the layer that is closest to the snap?  I hope that question makes sense.

Sewing through both layers seems like it would be sturdier even though it might show a little bit more.  Not sure which way would be best, though.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
Reply #9 - 07/02/08 at 12:26pm

thefanboy59 wrote on 07/01/08 at 9:38pm:
I don't think you need the sock unless you are going for a shock or funny look. If you want a little bulge maybe a spots protective cup.

My sock is actually a sock puppet-- I sewed googly eyes to it and gave it a name.  I've played male characters for our shows before (my main role is Brad in RHPS, it's not all that uncommon for females to play male parts and vice versa in shadowcasts) and have always used it to "stuff" with.  It's sort of an inside joke-- definitely going for a campy sort of humor value with it.

The sports protective cup is a good idea.  It would probably be more screen accurate.

IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
Reply #10 - 07/02/08 at 12:32pm

MistaHand wrote on 07/02/08 at 8:38am:
[size=16]
You totally had me fooled.... I would of never thought it was a sweatshirt...  GREAT JOB

Thank you.  It does fool many-- people are always surprised if flip over the bottom and show them that it is actually a sweatshirt held together on the inside by a combination of sewing, red duct tape, and countless safety pins.  It is really comfortable and I am happy enough with how it looks from the outside as a DIY temporary measure but definitely want a screen accurate wool gabardine custom tailored for me sometime down the road.

IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
Reply #11 - 07/02/08 at 12:47pm

Lee Kirkham wrote on 07/01/08 at 10:08pm:
Regardless of how you have your current costume put together, it looks great! Nice job. And thanks for sharing the photos.

Thanks for all of the compliments, everyone.

We plan on taking lots of pictures of the show on July 19th (and possibly some video, but that is pending).  Those will definitely end up online at some point.

IP Logged

ghostdog
Bat-God

KING of the NILE!!!

Corinth, Mississippi
Reply #12 - 07/02/08 at 1:07pm

Hey Jenny! Welcome to the board! Where did you get the utility belt?

What a GREAT place to be!!!
IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Chicago, IL
Reply #13 - 07/02/08 at 1:20pm

ghostdog wrote on 07/02/08 at 1:07pm:
Hey Jenny! Welcome to the board! Where did you get the utility belt?

I bought it from you online back in 2004 (I first heard about them on the adamwest costume group).  It is a beautiful and functional work of art-- I am constantly amazed by it.  It has held up very well for the last few years and gets tons of compliments.  Thanks again for making it!

IP Logged

thefanboy59
Bat Geezer

Saugus,MA
Reply #14 - 07/02/08 at 6:01pm

What's your  puppets name? Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print