The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Board › The 1966 Batman Tv Series on DVD soon?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
The 1966 Batman Tv Series on DVD soon? (Read 25646 times)
BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Re: The 1966 Batman Tv Series on DVD soon?
Reply #30 - 07/04/08 at 12:47pm

Justis wrote on 07/04/08 at 11:14am:
I don't understand...can't we all just be happy that part of the series came out on Viewmaster?

Wink

Grin Heh!

Well, Justis, I think many were happy with the Viewmaster right up until the introduction of home video. From that point forward...and an early 80s retrospective/episode guide in the pages of Video Review which set off alarms that such attention "must" mean a video release was on the horizon...Bat-fans transformed into a very impatient lot.

I recall taping the pre-"remastered" muddy syndication prints in '81 - '82 (probably in use since the early 70's) and although I appreciated having the series on tape, I had dreams of an official release.

Still dreaming about that!!

Oh, the pain!!

IP Logged

Tut the XXXIVth
Bat Resident

Oh JOY! The world is my
Erster!

Reply #31 - 07/04/08 at 5:12pm

BatmiteReturns wrote on 07/02/08 at 11:42pm:
It really irks me when I see blatant bootlegging done at conventions. At Wizard World this past weekend I saw two cases of it. They had a huge TV running the 1966 TV show (great quality btw) and selling the complete season for $99.
Ugh.

Yup, but you know what?
I can pop a disc in and watch Any episode, ANY time I darn well please.
And until TPTB get their heads out of their collective rectums, That's how it's got to be.
Will I buy an official set?
Hell yes.
But in the meantime? I'm as happy as a giant clam that's swallowed Robin!
And God bless the fans that can get ahold of something that should have been released years ago.

And let me ask this:
How many people out there who are so vocally"opposed" to bootlegs, have copies of the series? Either on VHS, or stuff they recorded, or yes even bootlegs? Is it a case of "I have mine so screw you", or are you THAT vehement about fans getting what they want?

IP Logged

batcazz
Aluminum Member

Holy Batusi!

Detroit, Michigan
Reply #32 - 07/04/08 at 6:52pm

Usual topic revisited.  Suffice to say, if the series is ever even close to coming out officially on DVD, this is the first place you will hear about it!!!!!!!

Cheesy

"A wife no matter how beauteous or affectionate would severely impair my crime fighting."

IP Logged

Justis
Bat Neighbor

Evansville, IN
Reply #33 - 07/04/08 at 8:27pm

My recommendation:

Starts with a "t" and rhymes, mostly, with "abhorrent."

Wink

IP Logged

BlackCanary711
Bat Enthusiast

Saving the world, one
Super-sonic shriek at
a time

Tennessee
Reply #34 - 07/04/08 at 9:26pm

Justis wrote on 07/04/08 at 8:27pm:
My recommendation:

Starts with a "t" and rhymes, mostly, with "abhorrent."

Wink

Agreed. That's where mine came from.  Smiley

You could be the world's greatest hero, or its most mild-mannered citizen. But the only person who can write your story is you.
http://facebook.com/livvieo2 silverkryptonite705 oldskoolchic1965  
IP Logged

BatmiteReturns
Bat Resident

Quad Cities, USA
Reply #35 - 07/05/08 at 11:02am

Perhaps I should have made my point clearer. I understand why the bootlegs are such a popular item and I don't blame you one bit for having them.

My problem was with the people at these huge conventions trying to sell the series as a legit item with huge banners and advertising as an actual WB/DC/FOX release.

The fakes looked very good and to the untrained eye will come across as the real deal.

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

IP Logged

Idol
Bat Neighbor

Wisconsin
Reply #36 - 07/05/08 at 5:01pm

Hey People are saying about the Tv Series is coming out on DVD July 18th this year this is what I heard Burt Ward is an optimist. He believes that, eventually, the Batman TV series of the 1960s will be freed from purgatory and that it will finally make its debut on DVD.  Wink I can't wait for that day.

IP Logged

burt west
Not a Newbie

Holy FlashBack Batman!!!

vancouver
Reply #37 - 07/05/08 at 9:48pm

I usually hate the thought of bootleg copies of anything! but since it isn't on dvd, I'm even thinking of it but afraid of getting burned! just think of it, the mighty Isis is on dvd and the 1966 Batman isn't!! pretty sad!!

IP Logged

Lee Kirkham
Bat Moderator

Who's that little old
man?

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #38 - 07/05/08 at 10:09pm

What has really escalated this series above others when it comes to bootlegging is that it has NEVER been available to the home video market. Not Betamax, VHS or even laserdisc. Nothing.

Lee Kirkham leekirkham http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=543108907 lee_kirkham BudUgly  
IP Logged

epaddon
Bat Board Contributor

Classic Batman Fan (And
also under Siren's spell!)

New Jersey
Reply #39 - 07/05/08 at 11:23pm

It does help thought that there is at least one good boot set, TV Land Canada, that measures up to the best possible standard of boot you can find for *any* TV show not released commercially.   (1) The episodes were shown uncut content wise (2) No split-screen or squeezed end credits and (3) the original source recorder did them with direct digital recording so the TV Land Canada copies have the higher resolution of being direct digital recordings and not VHS to DVD transfers for their master element (I think this accounts for why the quality is better than the "studio masters" set).

Many other TV shows that you have to go the boot route with don't fall into this category.    You're often forced to rely on VHS transfers from edited repeats on cable usually more than a decade or two ago.

epaddon  
IP Logged

RiddlerDave
Free-Bird

Riddle Me This!

Easton CT
Reply #40 - 07/06/08 at 11:50am

I hate this topic ... But gosh I love that video clip Lee!

Dave Robushi  
IP Logged

Nick Charles
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #41 - 07/06/08 at 2:29pm

Idol wrote on 07/05/08 at 5:01pm:
Hey People are saying about the Tv Series is coming out on DVD July 18th this year this is what I heard Burt Ward is an optimist. He believes that, eventually, the Batman TV series of the 1960s will be freed from purgatory and that it will finally make its debut on DVD.  Wink I can't wait for that day.

DVD releases are officially announced approximately 3 months ahead of actual release date.  Since we're already into July the earliest realistic date is Q4.   Since there are no substantive rumors among the various popular (and well connected) DVD sites it does not appear that a 2008 release is in the cards.

I'm very skeptical of any kind of release anytime soon.   There simply isn't any kind of evidence supporting a proposed release.  I'd love to be wrong, but in the absence of proof I'm not buying it.

IP Logged

galaia2004
Bat Resident

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Oxfordshire, UK
Reply #42 - 07/06/08 at 4:56pm

With regard to bootleggers, Im always curious why we all keep buying them from these people. However we get our copy of the Batman episodes at the moment is theoretically illegal I assume, whether we download from the Internet, buy online, or buy from conventions.

There must be enough people who know each other on here and probably live locally to be able to trade these episodes 'between friends'? Until the 'official' DVD release is out surely this is better (and maybe cheaper) than giving the money to the bootleggers.

There is probably a better chance of getting a decent/working set from fellow Bat-friends as well... Mayeb we all do this anyway, but don;t like to tell everyone... Smiley

Anyone else care to comment on this?

IP Logged

burt west
Not a Newbie

Holy FlashBack Batman!!!

vancouver
Reply #43 - 07/06/08 at 7:10pm

I know one thing, after watching a few episodes on youtube, I need to get all the episodes soon, I can't wait any longer!!! Angry

IP Logged

Space Ghost
Bat-King

Central Florida, USA
Reply #44 - 07/06/08 at 7:43pm

burt west wrote on 07/06/08 at 7:10pm:
I know one thing, after watching a few episodes on youtube, I need to get all the episodes soon, I can't wait any longer!!! Angry

Welcome to the Bat board Burt West. The rest of us here have been waiting & waiting & waiting......you get the picture, for the DVD release. You are more than welcomed to wait with us.
 Smiley

You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood ...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print