Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
BURT WARD IS A LIAR! (Read 2355 times)
Darrell Kaiser
Bat Resident

BURT WARD IS A LIAR!
07/22/08 at 5:39am

I've read and heard from various sources that Burt Ward suffered a lot on the show from doing his own stunts. I serious doubt it. I've noticed while watching the show and film that Burt's stunt double, Victor Paul, did most of the work during the stunt scenes. This includes the Batboat scenes, which Burt stated that he was on location with Adam's stunt double. That's complete BS! Victor appeared in ALL of the location Batboat shots. Also, Victor appeared on a documentary where he mentioned how dangerous the Batcycle scenes were. Burt said almost the exact same thing, but again, it was ALL Victor! Another BS statement is the Pit of Tigers story. That was clearly a process shot of the tigers! What's Burt's deal? It is clear to me that Victor wasn't "having a coffee with Adam" during stunts. I wish I could pelt him with two dozen rotten eggs for being such a liar!

IP Logged

moxieheart
Tin Foil Member

Holy mashed potatoes!

Re: BURT WARD IS A LIAR!
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 6:03am

I think his stories do have some basis in truth (he did receive medical care on set for injuries sustained during shooting more than a few times) but like all Hollywood yarns can get exaggerated over the years in the retelling of the stories.  Kind of like how Lucille Ball or Judy Garland (and countless other stars) would tell outlandish tales of on set hijinks on their talk show appearances and interviews (many of which turned out to be fictional or highly exaggerated for comedic effect).  Stories get embellished and even fabricated for entertainment value in interviews and become legend.

I don't think any of it is malicious or harmful or anti-Victor.  Just stories (with some truth to them) for the fans to be entertained and amused by, that's all.

IP Logged

crashstreetkid
Citizen

To the Batpoles!

Reply #2 - 07/22/08 at 7:25am

In the second Mr Freeze story (with Otto Preminger) Burt was actually injured when B&R blasted their way out of the cage Freeze had put them in. Right at the end when they leave Gordon's office with the young boy you can see that his arm is bandaged. In the first Martha episode if you look closely you can also see the bandage (he holds his cape over his arm to keep it hidden).

IP Logged

Zandra The Great
Queen of Diamonds

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #3 - 07/22/08 at 8:02am

my goodness, such an angry post!!

I believe there is in truth in what Burt says.  If you watch the series, yes will see lots of Victor in there.  But, if you watch closer you will also see that in a number of episodes Burt has an arm bandaged, or his makeup is a bit thicker covering a bruise, etc...

Examples:  The very first Batman episode if you watch you can see as Dick Grayson comes down the staircase holding an airplane he is holding his hand in an awkward position.  He had dislocated a finger when he almost fell out of the Batmobile when its door came flying open during a sharp turn.  Even Frank Gorshin tells the story of how Burt stayed so still in the Batmobile as fireworks were shooting right above him sprinkling down on him and burning through his cape.  Frank talks how impressed he was with Burt staying so still but when the scene was finished, Burt let his thoughts be known and he was taken in for medical treatment of several different burns on his body.

Green Ice/Deep Freeze - Episodes 53 & 54 - Batman and Robin are summoned to Police Headquarters and find Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara in a frozen Commissioner's office.  Thank goodness for capes that can be draped over arms that are very much bandaged.  Scenes are not filmed in order like we see on the finished product.  Burt was burned badly when an explosion was a bit too big and throughout quite a bit of the first episode Burt's arm is bandaged and he even cradles it.  He was burnt badly enough to blister even. 

Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, Marsha's Sceme With Diamonds - episodes 57 & 58.  In these episodes you can almost figure out the order that the different scenes were filmed in.  At the beginning when the Commissioner calls Batman and Robin are in the Batcave.  If you look closely you can see where Burt's arm is red with, I believe, 3 cuts on it.  During the scene where Batman and Robin are fighting with Marsha's henchmen watch as Robin's cape is draped over his arm.  They are having a sword fight.   The cape slides up quickly a few times and you can see where Burt's arm is bandaged.

How many of Burt's scenes ended up on the cutting room floor, I do not know, I do know that scenes were re-shot and not always using Adam or Burt. 

Is Burt Ward a liar?  NO!!!!

I could go on, but I think this should be enough to prove my point.  I am sure Victor is a very nice man and it's obvious when he is in a scene, my goodness in episodes 5 & 6, The Joker is Wild/Batman Is Riled, Victor subbed for Burt even in nonfighting scenes.  Burt's voice is dubbed in.  Remember, we were not there to see everything that went on and we don't know what all was edited out or re-shot. 

In this case I have to believe Burt.  There were even jokes about him being accident prone and blowing up the boy wonder from the crew.  He never said that Victor NEVER stood in for him.  But when one is getting things dislocated, burnt, sliced or whatever...it can seem like somebody else should be in there instead.

As for the tiger pit, this has been discussed on the board before and the conclusion of it was that if you look at the View Master reels of this episode it is obvious that Burt is being suspended over a pit with live tigers.  Yes, they also did superimpose for whatever reason on the show, I don't know... lighting being wrong, a camera angle being off and a shot needing to be redone.....again editing is an amazing art.  I don't know how they did the View Master reels.  If they were shots taken from film or if they had to actually take pictures with a special camera... I have no idea.  Anybody out there know?

So please, beware...if you were to try and pelt Burt with rotten eggs, he would pelt you right back and he has an excellent arm!!!!!

If you are referring to the Egghead episode with the egg fight, they wanted Vincent to pelt Burt big time because Burt had been a bit of a "brat" and it seemed like an appropriate thing to do.  Burt was so young and things were happening so fast.  He had gone from being an unknown to suddenly being famous worldwide.  That's a lot when you are 20 - 21 years old.  Today's young stars go out, party, get drunk, do drugs, etc....  Burt had plenty of reasons to go that route also, but he didn't.  He's always been a very strong willed person.

OK, I'm done for now...lol... yes, I do claim to be the resident expert on Burt around here...

Cheesy Zandra

Holy diamonds are a girls best friend!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Zandra The Great
Queen of Diamonds

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #4 - 07/22/08 at 8:07am

OK....I'm back, I forgot you mentioned the Batcycle.  Burt had to ride on that sidecar also.  Adam is the one that told us how when he released the sidecar they, including Burt, never knew exactly where the sidecar would end up.  Adam chuckled when he remembered a time when Burt went over an embankment....there were no brakes and no steering....  Adam has also mentioned Burt almost being drowned in the batboat when they were filming in Santa Barbara. 

If I missed anything, feel free to let me know...

Bat hugz & kisses to all...
Zandra

Holy diamonds are a girls best friend!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bat Tom
Totally Batty

Adam West and Burt Ward
are the only Dynamic
Duo

Reply #5 - 07/22/08 at 1:10pm

Chill out and leave Burt alone.

Bat Tom

IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

That's it! It's an omen...
I shall become a BAT!!

Reply #6 - 07/22/08 at 2:11pm

Regardless of the content you wish to discuss in a thread, the title is incendiary and possibly libelous.

We can debate the veracity of Bat-History and the sources we get it from without descending into name-calling.

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

IP Logged

BobF
Tin Foil Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/08 at 2:52pm

I can answer your question about the View-Master photos. They were taken on the set with a specially designed dual-camera rig. The original images are 2 1/4-inch square chromes representing the left/right views. They are then reduction printed to 16mm stock in order to create the transparencies. Many stereo photos were taken, and 21 were ultimately selected for the commercial reels.

IP Logged

JL
Bat-ologist

It's BatHamm and Hoggins...

Reply #8 - 07/22/08 at 3:08pm

Well, it's no secret the stunt man does a lot of the work...heck, just ask Colt Seavers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPT3rnzXT4A

But, due to their lack of resemblance, Burt had to do many of his own stunts that called for close ups...which led to him getting many injuries during the filming of the series.  This too is what I've read or heard over the years, but as others have mentioned with specific episodes and all I believe this to be true.  So, without proof I wouldn't start calling folks liars, but that's just me!  JL 

aka...Johnny L. Hamm

IP Logged

Lee Kirkham
Bat Moderator

Who's that little old
man?

Reply #9 - 07/22/08 at 3:33pm

And did it ever occur to you that BECAUSE Burt would get injured they couldn't use his footage and ended up having Victor re-shoot scenes while Burt was on the mend?

And in support of what was mentioned earlier, posting with aggressive, angry titles will most likely get you in trouble. Trouble with those you make the unconfirmed claims about (and their representatives), trouble with fans, and trouble with the moderators because you needlessly 'stir the pot' which is greatly frowned upon.

We suggest that in the future should you wish to discuss such matters as 'who did what stunts', you approach it in a much more debate-driven manner. The results will better all around. Thank you for your cooperation.

IP Logged

andyh40
Bat Neighbor

Great Scott! Robin, old
chum...

Reply #10 - 07/22/08 at 4:43pm

Yay, Invisi-Lee!!!

Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed...&&&&Roger, ready to move out!

IP Logged

A. Pennyworth
Free-Bird

I Love The 1966 Batmobile!

Reply #11 - 07/22/08 at 4:47pm

Here is a past post dealing with one of Burt's injuries on set.

click for past topic

IP Logged

Space Ghost
Bat-King

Reply #12 - 07/22/08 at 4:50pm

What motivated such a harsh post? Why? I don't understand.  Undecided

You're Never Too Old to have a Happy Childhood

IP Logged

Darrell Kaiser
Bat Resident

Reply #13 - 07/22/08 at 4:59pm

Zandra The Great wrote on 07/22/08 at 8:07am:
OK....I'm back, I forgot you mentioned the Batcycle.  Burt had to ride on that sidecar also.  Adam is the one that told us how when he released the sidecar they, including Burt, never knew exactly where the sidecar would end up.  Adam chuckled when he remembered a time when Burt went over an embankment....there were no brakes and no steering....  Adam has also mentioned Burt almost being drowned in the batboat when they were filming in Santa Barbara.  

If I missed anything, feel free to let me know...

Bat hugz & kisses to all...
Zandra

Both Adam and Burt's stunt doubles preformed ALL of those stunts. I seriously doubt that the producers were stupid enough to put Adam and Burt in that amount of danger when they had the rest of the film (and second season of the show) to shoot.

IP Logged

Amusement Films
Bat Neighbor

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Reply #14 - 07/22/08 at 5:00pm

I really enjoyed Burt's book.  Another reason I think he's telling the truth is that if you notice in some stories he doesn't make himself look good (and often makes fun of himself).   If he was lying, why not leave that embarrassing stuff out?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top