Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
A look at some of my GH masks (Read 4134 times)
Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

That's it! It's an omen...
I shall become a BAT!!

A look at some of my GH masks
09/30/08 at 9:10pm

I finally got around to figuring out both my cell phone camera and Imageshack, so here are some pics of projects I've had laying around for a while:

These are my versions of the masks from "The Green Hornet" Old Time Radio Show and the first movie serial (black), and "The Green Hornet Strikes Again"-the second serial (green).

This is the NOW comics style as worn by the fourth Green Hornet, Paul Reid. You can see a few spots (above the left eye, for example) where the single coat of paint has flaked off.

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

IP Logged

Catfan
Cattius Maximus

Female Robins and Catwoman
rock!

Re: A look at some of my GH masks
Reply #1 - 09/30/08 at 9:23pm

Very cool!!  Very cool indeed!

IP Logged

A. Pennyworth
Free-Bird

I Love The 1966 Batmobile!

Reply #2 - 09/30/08 at 9:56pm

Very nice!

Never really looked at the NOW comics version masks and never noticed the nose is completely covered.
I do have the 2 issues "TALES OF THE GREEN HORNET" (Sept/Oct. 1990) written by Van Williams, story "THE BURMA HORSE", which depicts different versions of TV masks he wore.  

IP Logged

mista shake speer
Bat Fabulous

The Dark Speer has gone

Reply #3 - 09/30/08 at 10:04pm

Fascinating, I didn't realize there were so many different styles. I'm only familiar with the TV versions.  Thanks for posting.

IP Logged

ghostdog
Bat-God

KING of the NILE!!!

Reply #4 - 09/30/08 at 10:45pm

Cool masks Bill!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

What a GREAT place to be!!!
IP Logged

1B1G
Aluminum Member

Don't foget to duck

Reply #5 - 10/01/08 at 2:01am

I guess most of us forget that there was more than the GH live action, thank you for the schooling, teach Wink

IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

I shall become a BAT!!

Reply #6 - 10/01/08 at 2:26am

Thanks, everybody.

I was a fan of the old radio show (from OTR shows like Chuck Schaden's, LP's and tapes) and remembered the TV show mainly from the Batman 2-part episode- I picked up the Gold Key comic in the back issue bin in the mid-80's.

When the NOW Comics title came out, it neatly meshed all the versions together into one family history. That got me thinking about doing a series of masks depicting the lineage.

IP Logged

B.THE.DEVIL
Gothamite

FM ain't that bad..

Reply #7 - 10/01/08 at 5:00am

Those are great, Bill.

I'm in the process of making my first Green Hornet Mask.

I don't know if I'm doing something UNHOLY, but my version is just that...
My version.

I was in a Halloween shop and saw a Rubies Batman mask just for the face for 5 bucks.
It was all PVC plastic, so I figured I could have my way with it.

I spent all day messin with it. It is basically the '60's Van Williams mask (III Type) but with predominate and fierce eyebrows and cheekbones.

I'm still not sure if I like it, but once I started I didn't want to quit.
I cut off the ears and attached 'em to the sides of the mask with a soldering iron. sanded it out. reinforced the inside with a 32 gauge wire so I can bend it and keep form. then padded the contact points with mole skin.

The whole project was under 15 bucks, but Cy productions and Evolution have doubled their normal prices, no doubt for Halloween, so I may keep this as NO ONE will have one, or start over with a plain face mask.

My problem is that I didn't sand it fine enough and I can see the grain through the paint.

As I type this I'm considering sanding it and painting tomorrow.

I throw up some pics, to see what you folks think.

Not as impressive as your old school masks, I'll add.

B.

STOP! SURRENDER! Give yourself UP, or by all that's HOLY, I might forget myself and do you vioLENCE!!&&http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=330926990
IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

I shall become a BAT!!

Reply #8 - 10/01/08 at 4:19pm

I'm excited to see the pics, Brandon. It will be an original take on the mask, no doubt.

I'm not clear on what you meant about re-attatching the ears to the sides of the mask- to make earstems replacing the molded in strap?

Clearance of the forehead for a hat would be the main concern for this type of mask, I'd think, as the Rubies molding kind of angles forward on my face. Those eyebrows reach quite high. Maybe the fit you get with the wire adjusts this?

The pointed contour over the nose was what made Van's mask distinctive- did you alter the bottom line of the mask? I also am curious how you're tackling the forhead Hornet seal.

My masks photograph nicely for a couple of reasons-

First, they have a satin finish from Krylon clear spray. Not sure if your grain problem is just sanding, or paint adhesion problems from mold release agent still on the plastic-a mild detergent wash and either a primer coat or a paint like Krylon Fusion will keep the color from aging and peeling off. I'd try a satin clear coat or a highly buffed flat clear over a gloss color layer.

Second, metallic detailing on the hornets. If you are using a printed sticker, silver,black and gold fine point drafting pens can be used to detail the art, then color with something like clear Tamiya hobby acrylics for the green, gold and red parts. This looks much more "on" than flat yellow ink.

If you are just hand painting with enamel paints or airbrushing, you could design your own version of a hornet graphic.

IP Logged

KLAATUWI
Tin Foil Member

Milwaukee, home of the
Dodge Bijou

Reply #9 - 10/01/08 at 5:08pm

My wife wanted to go as Kato this year for a halloween party, and so far I'm still working on a mask for her. I have been using a "Jason" Hockey mask. Normally the eye holes would be too big for a Kato mask, but since my wife has beautiful eyes as is, it would be a shame to cover them up.
As for the GH mask: I love your masks. what did you use to make them?
btw, did you ever think to put them up on ebay? I'm sure there would be at least ONE buyer  Wink

IP Logged

B.THE.DEVIL
Gothamite

FM ain't that bad..

Reply #10 - 10/01/08 at 6:07pm

Bill,

Yes the eyebrows are high on the forehead. It doesn't get on the way of the hat though.

This Green Hornet attempt is my "cheap" version, as I will eventually do it right.

I bought a 15 dollar "trilby" from Target, believe it or not.
It's all black, so I'll be putting on a green band.

Likewise, I'll be attaching a green collar on the black jacket to match.
Next year I'll be able to have a custom green jacket and trilby.

I ended up sanding the mask with a fine sandpaper and resprayed with a satin Rust-Oleum spray paint.

I did adjust the bottom line of the mask, trimming away much of the cheeks and raising the nose, with point, higher, as the Batman mask hid the nose completely.

I cut off the ears, which were vertical, and reattached them horizontally like the arms of sunglasses, like Van's.

I'm happy with how it turned out.

I reinforced the arms of the mask (that go along side of my head) with the wire so I can bend it stiffly and snug to my head.
That way the mask doesn't fly off on Halloween when I've had too much to drink and start breakdancing.hahahaha...I wish I could say that was a joke....but I don't drink often, so when I do, the Indian in me goes crazy with the "courage fire water".

As for the symbol. A. Pennyworth has a tribute site with the logo on it.
I had planned to print this on sticker paper and put it on the forehead last.

Do you suggest a better way?

I'm waiting on the paint to dry, but should have some pics up this evening.

So far, it looks like an angry Green Hornet.hahah

B.

STOP! SURRENDER! Give yourself UP, or by all that's HOLY, I might forget myself and do you vioLENCE!!&&http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=330926990
IP Logged

B.THE.DEVIL
Gothamite

FM ain't that bad..

Reply #11 - 10/01/08 at 6:11pm

Bill,

Sorry, you meant placement for the seal?
The brow is in a grimace, however their is a flat/clear place between the eyes, just below the middle of the fore head.

Van's mask line is low on the forehead, mine is high do to those eyebrows.

I'm going to the Halloween store today to try and find a plain PCV mask.
This was really fun.

B.

IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

I shall become a BAT!!

Reply #12 - 10/01/08 at 6:16pm

Klaatuwi, I think you'll get a better fit and easier(thinner) plastic to work with if you run out to a Spirit or Halloween USA shop and pick up one of these:

Pencil in a Bruce Lee style mask (A.Pennyworth's GH & Kato costume n' prop pages have great reference pics), cut out with small pointed shears.  The eyeholes can be trimmed to the right shape and spray gloss black- allow a few days to dry and cure before wearing!

My masks are light weight, made of posterboard and Krylon clear spray, green and gold craft pens, staples and black elastic straps from the fabric store. I've considered entering them in convention Art Auctions, but since they're so flimsy I'd almost rather mount them and sell them as 3-D decoration than as wearable costume pieces.

IP Logged

B.THE.DEVIL
Gothamite

FM ain't that bad..

Reply #13 - 10/01/08 at 7:41pm

Okay

I am still working on it, but these photos will give you an idea.
This Green Hornet mask has cost just under 15 bucks, that includes paint, sand paper, 32 gauge wire, and mole skin for comfort.

First pic is the beginning:

This is the mask after I have attached the side arms, sanded, and put on the first coat of paint:

From the side:

I'm using a small wire to hold it for painting and to take these photos.
It looks much better now than when I took these pics, since I sanded it over, and repainted it.

Next, after it dries, will be to reattach the mole skin inside for comfort.

Then the Label/seal.

I like the idea of re inking it with better pens and or paints.

I'll take a pic of it on soon.

B.

IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

I shall become a BAT!!

Reply #14 - 10/01/08 at 10:10pm

My first reactions are posted in the Bat Crafts section- excellent job!

What color/code is that Rust-Oleum spray? What tools did you use to cut/shape the PVC?

I'm so impressed that I'm considering adding a "B-Deviled" style Green Hornet mask to my collection!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top