The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Board › For old time wrestling fans out there.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For old time wrestling fans out there. (Read 5259 times)
Steeldog
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Birmingham, Alabama
For old time wrestling fans out there.
11/05/08 at 2:51pm

There really was a Batman in pro wrestling, and here is the site:

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/t/tony-marino.html

Holy Time Warp Batman!

WWW Steeldog bhamsteeldog1@yahoo.com bhamsteeldog123@aim.com  
IP Logged

filfoster
Bat Neighbor

1940's Batman rocks too!

Fort Thomas KY
Re: For old time wrestling fans out there.
Reply #1 - 11/05/08 at 4:11pm

Does anyone in the Midwest remember the Big Time Wrestling stars of the 60's?  The Shiek, Haystack Calhoun, BoBo Brazil ( I had his autograph!), Flying Fred Curry and the baddest of the bad, Dick the Bruiser?  What cheesy fun. They were on local (Cincinnati, OH) TV about 1:00 PM on Saturdays. They staged matches in local gyms too. Never saw a Batman though. That would have been great. Wonder if DC comics or the studios ever sued him?

IP Logged

Catfan
Cattius Maximus

Female Robins and Catwoman
rock!

180 miles from Saratoga County
Reply #2 - 11/05/08 at 5:04pm

Steeldog wrote on 11/05/08 at 2:51pm:
There really was a Batman in pro wrestling, and here is the site:

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/t/tony-marino.html

To quote Dick Martin: "I did not know that!" Man, I keep learning new things here every day!

WWW Catfan Catfan catfan1959 batman1969 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id= frontenac_media CatfanBogota  
IP Logged

Steeldog
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Birmingham, Alabama
Reply #3 - 11/05/08 at 5:18pm

filfoster wrote on 11/05/08 at 4:11pm:
Does anyone in the Midwest remember the Big Time Wrestling stars of the 60's?  The Shiek, Haystack Calhoun, BoBo Brazil ( I had his autograph!), Flying Fred Curry and the baddest of the bad, Dick the Bruiser?  What cheesy fun. They were on local (Cincinnati, OH) TV about 1:00 PM on Saturdays. They staged matches in local gyms too. Never saw a Batman though. That would have been great. Wonder if DC comics or the studios ever sued him?

The bio says that it was unauthorized, and to note that there was an extra "t" in the name (Battman). If he was ever sued, I have no idea, but I would bet that some promoter got to him before that happened.

Holy Time Warp Batman!

IP Logged

xrayspecs21
Citizen

I met Burt Ward at a Detroit
Vipers game!

Oxford County, Ontario
Reply #4 - 11/05/08 at 8:35pm

My MOm loved Dick the Bruiser.  I actually saw The Sheik wrestle in London, Ontario circa 1988.

"I see a reflection."

IP Logged

Steeldog
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Birmingham, Alabama
Reply #5 - 11/05/08 at 9:13pm

The time to be a wrestling fan was in the 60s, 70s, and 80s just before Hulk Hogan came along. It was incredible to watch stars such as Bob Backland when he was a rookie, a young Andre the Giant taking on two and three other wrestlers at a time. Those were the days when Jerry Lawler threw fire in his matches, and wrestlers were free to go from one area to another. Now, Vinnie Mac does not want wrestlers to be called wrestlers, they are called entertainers. God I miss old time wrestling.

Holy Time Warp Batman!

IP Logged

aerialprince
Totally Batty

Batsy Twin 1

Lynnfield, MA
Reply #6 - 11/05/08 at 11:16pm

That must have been really cool to watch him wrestle under the Battman gimmick.

I wonder if there is any old footage anywhere that anyone can find. I know I'll be doing my own searches and post anything I can find.

IP Logged

Ruhl
Bat Neighbor

"Death Proof" Nova Meets
The Batmobile

Portland Oregon
Reply #7 - 11/07/08 at 11:53am

Yea, I have heard of the name (didn't know he did a Batman gimmick though) He wrestled in the Northwest back in 69, he is on the same list as I am as people in Northwest history that have held the Tag Team title belts. He held it won it on 7-10-69 and I did on 3-19-05.

WWW http://myspace.com/deathproofnova  
IP Logged

Ruhl
Bat Neighbor

"Death Proof" Nova Meets
The Batmobile

Portland Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/07/08 at 11:54am

WWW http://myspace.com/deathproofnova  
IP Logged

andyh40
Bat Neighbor

Great Scott! Robin, old
chum...

Crossville TN
Reply #9 - 11/07/08 at 12:20pm

Yeah FF, I remember all of those wrestlers from Ohio, being raised in Springfield. I use to watch them on Kettering's PBS Channel 16 on Saturday afternoon. I've seen BoBo and The Sheik, albeit years ago. How about Ben Justice, and Wild Bull Curry?

Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed...&&&&Roger, ready to move out!

IP Logged

xrayspecs21
Citizen

I met Burt Ward at a Detroit
Vipers game!

Oxford County, Ontario
Reply #10 - 11/18/08 at 10:20pm

Ruhl wrote on 11/07/08 at 11:54am:

There have been many prominent wrestlers who shared your titles:  Jimmy Snuka, NIck Bockwinkle, Jesse Ventura, Roddy Piper, Buddy Rose, Adrian Adonis, Rocky Johnson, Curt Henning, Billy Jack Haynes, Stan Stasiak, Dynamite Kid, Rick Martel, Tom Zenk

Plus some of the most popular jobbers of my youth... Rene (the glove) Goulet, Frankie Lane (if he is the same FL...was his nickname "Cowboy"?), "Maniac" Matt Borne,

Those belts have a great pedigree!!!  Who has them now?

"I see a reflection."

IP Logged

mista shake speer
Bat Fabulous

The Dark Speer has gone

tampa florida
Reply #11 - 11/18/08 at 10:30pm

I remember seeing him on tv in the eary 70's out of Pittsburgh. I loved watching Batman wrestle. Yep, that was cool.

Also, The Tampa area was a great training ground for wrestlers. Hulk Hogan is from here and I attended the same school as him.

Does anyone remember Mark Starr and Chris Champion? They were brothers. I knew them growing up.

IP Logged

Joe
Citizen

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #12 - 11/25/08 at 3:33pm

The 'Batman' wrestler that I believe everyone is referencing in this thread was Tony 'The Battman" Marino. I remember watching that when I was young(er).  'The Battman' being the main reason that I watched that wrestling program.  The heck with Bruno Samartino back then. lol

Duh, stupid me just re-read the first post where this was all mentioned.  Darn speed reading courses havent paid off yet.  Wink

brandysdad_2000  
IP Logged

1B1G
Aluminum Member

Don't foget to duck

Ontario CANADA
Reply #13 - 11/26/08 at 8:01pm

Dick the Brusier, Billy Redcloud and the Barron with his claw, could render a man helpless, yes, love that time, but I also love Hulk Hogan, eat your vit.  do what you parents say,  ring a bell , sort of.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print