Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
This Week's Batman TV Almanac (2/1-7/09) (Read 473 times)
AHTrois
Busy Bat

Holy Big Easy, Batman!

This Week's Batman TV Almanac (2/1-7/09)
02/04/09 at 8:32pm

FEBRUARY 2, 1966  

"Instant Freeze"
(prod. #8707-Pt. 1) first aired @ 7:30p.m. EST on ABC as the 7th episode of Batman.  

Mr. Freeze's debut on the series. Based on "The Ice Crimes of Mr. Zero" from Batman #121 (February 1959) by Dave Wood. Mr. Zero was changed to Mr. Freeze for the TV series, and the comics followed suit.  

Teri Garr cameos in a bit part of a girl here (she is standing in front of the ice rink).  

Mr. Freeze was portrayed by two other actors besides George Sanders. Also taking the role were director Otto Premminger and character actor Eli Wallach.  

George Sanders at one time was married to Zsa Zsa Gabor, who would later play the villainess Minerva in the series Batfinale "Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires".

FEBRUARY 3, 1966  

"Rats Like Cheese"
(prod. #8707-Pt. 2) first aired @ 7:30p.m. EST on ABC as the 8th episode of Batman.  

Dr. Vince (Dan Terranova) is an obvious spoof on the 1961-66 ABC medical drama Ben Casey.  

Although his real name in the comics is Victor Fries, on the TV show it was Dr. Shimmel.

FEBRUARY 1, 1967  

"Penguin Sets A Trend"
(prod. #9741-Pt. 2) first aired @ 7:30p.m. EST on ABC as the 77th episode of Batman.  

Chapter 2 of a 3-part story.  

The Hexagon is a takeoff on The Pentagon.  

The late Alan Reed (General MacGruder) was the original voice of Fred Flintstone.  

Bob Hastings (Major Beasley) later provided the voice of Commissioner Gordon on Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures.  

FEBRUARY 2, 1967  

"Penguin's Disastrous End"
(prod. #9741-Pt. 3) first aired @ 7:30p.m. EST on ABC as the 78th episode of Batman.  

Conclusion of a 3-part story.  

The Batprop used as a Batzooka in this episode was previously used as a Batcharge Launcher in the 1966 Batman movie.  

FEBRUARY 1, 1968  

"The Great Escape"
(prod. #1723-Pt. 1) first aired @ 7:30p.m. EST on ABC as the 115th episode of Batman.  

Jerry Mathers (Pops) endeared himself to '50s viewers as Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver on Leave It To Beaver (CBS/ABC, 1957-63).  

Dina Merrill (Calamity Jan) was in real life Cliff Robertson's bride at the time these episodes were shot.  

In this 2-part segment, Chief O'Hara refers to a clasic old movie: Low Midnight.  

Victor Lundin played Friday in the 1964 science fiction film Robinson Crusoe On Mars, which also featured Adam West.  

A few months after this episode aired, Cliff Robertson starred in the film that earned him his Academy Award, Charly.

A Site Dedicated To Favorite Shows - Yours And Mine!
IP Logged

Catfan
Cattius Maximus

Female Robins and Catwoman
rock!

Re: This Week's Batman TV Almanac (2/1-7/09)
Reply #1 - 02/04/09 at 11:38pm

Definitely a memorable week, especially for the 1966 episode.  George Sanders remains my No. 1 favourite Mr. Freeze, though Eli Wallach comes mighty close.  Oddly, I do not remember the 1967 episode, and I still need to watch the 1968 one.

IP Logged

BlackCanary711
Bat Enthusiast

Saving the world, one
Super-sonic shriek at
a time

Re: This Week's Batman TV Almanac (2/1-7/09)
Reply #2 - 02/05/09 at 2:16am

I love all the Shame episodes, and especially his season 3 two-parter.

You could be the world's greatest hero, or its most mild-mannered citizen. But the only person who can write your story is you.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top