The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Crafts › Catwoman masks
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Catwoman masks (Read 3632 times)
selina
Bat-ologist

I may be bad, but I'm
purr-fectly good at it
Meow

Metro Chicago/Fox Valley
Catwoman masks
06/05/09 at 1:00pm

Can anyone give me information on the Catwoman masks?

The masks used in the TV show with Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt seem to have a strap keeping it in place. The mask in the movie with Lee Meriwether seems to be held in place. Huh

Does anyone know the difference and how the Lee M. mask was held in place? Undecided

Thanks

Selina

IP Logged

Scott Sebring
Bat Moderator

Just doing my duty as
a good citizen

Fontana, CA
Re: Catwoman masks
Reply #1 - 06/05/09 at 1:47pm

They were all held the same way between the three Catwomen.  Since the elastic is a bear to pull out from under all that hair and hairspray (ask Vickie sometime), it wouldn't simply come off as the script required.  Once when she performs her Kitka act to the other villains and then the end when it falls off in the sub.  This was a simple "stunt mask" with no strap that only had to hold on for a few seconds (possibly a small adhesive tape or even gravity.) Ah, movie magic of being able to do a cutaway.

Note the strap:

Her head is titled and the mask is barely against her face.

No straps at all

...   ...
WWW batfriend66 scottsebringmusic scott.sebring  
IP Logged

Voxboy
Free-Bird

"Oh, those two!! Hither,
thither and YON!!!"

Louisville/Southern Indiana
Reply #2 - 06/05/09 at 2:38pm

I had thought I had seen earpieces on the one on the sub, much as you'd have on a pair of sunglasses.  My imagination, perhaps?  (Or should I say, "purrrr-haps?")

Clearly, there are no earpieces in the third photo above -- nonetheless, that seems like an ideal means of doing this mask.  It had occurred to me that one could vacu-form the mask, fashion a pair of earpieces out of the same material, then there would only remain to get the angle of the earpiece right and figure out how to affix a small enough hinge to it (perhaps your local optometrist could handle this?) -- and of course, to cover it with the same material the suit's made of.  Or, it really wouldn't even have to fold -- done in the right material, the earpieces could simply be glued or fused onto the back of the mask at the right angle for wearing.  The end result would be not unlike the Green Hornet mask, only with "wings" that extend out past the earpieces, precluding a one-piece construction (although you could do it as a two-piece, if you made something like a GH mask, then affixed the "cat-eye" piece over top of that).

Also, Stevie's most helpful tutorial on the construction of the Batgirl cowl gives me pause to think that perhaps this project could be done more quickly and cheaply using his stretched-woolfelt method, although I'm somewhat at a loss as to figure how to affix it to the head, in such instances (would elastic loops that go over the ears not interfere too much with one's hairstyle?  Just a thought ...)

Then again, maybe I saw something like that at that Argentine Ebayer's web site, I know they happen to do what looked to me like a very affordable Catwoman costume, and also sold just components of the costume.  As people here have pointed out before, though, authenticity may be another issue ...

Just my 0.0143375 Euro ... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Stevie
Bat Neighbor

A comic book costs HOW
MUCH now?!!!!

Bremerton, Washington
Reply #3 - 06/05/09 at 4:13pm

Thank you for the kind words, Doug!
Yes, you could either use woolfelt or buckram in this case if you used a good stiffener. Once you got the shape down you could use a good 3M fabric spray adhesive for cover it in black Lurex. Authenticity out the window, I don't see why you couldn't sew a wire support in the mask and then actually have it come out of either side and bend it to loop around the ears like glasses. Just a thought!  Smiley

Stevie

IP Logged

Scott Sebring
Bat Moderator

Just doing my duty as
a good citizen

Fontana, CA
Reply #4 - 06/05/09 at 7:20pm

Having worn a Green Hornet mask I've found myself pushing the mask mask onto my face much like pushing back a pair of glasses.  The elastic holds it tight to the face.  I've thought about adding elastic somehow to my Hornet mask but I think it would showing through my hair.

...   ...
IP Logged

selina
Bat-ologist

I may be bad, but I'm
purr-fectly good at it
Meow

Metro Chicago/Fox Valley
Reply #5 - 06/07/09 at 4:57pm

Scott Sebring wrote on 06/05/09 at 1:47pm:
 Once when she performs her Kitka act to the other villains and then the end when it falls off in the sub.  This was a simple "stunt mask" with no strap that only had to hold on for a few seconds

Possibly Scott. But I remember the villain scene she is seated for quite a period of time, and it would seem that it would have fallen off or she would have been holding it as well repositioning it constantly.

Regarding the sub, again, possibly, as my understanding is that this was a stuntwoman and not Lee in the scene. For that matter, the stunt double may not even have had a mask on as she is to the camera  the whole scene. When she trips on the periscope stand, a prop guy could have thrown it on the floor or pulled it from under the round stand with a string to simulate it falling off.  

I am thinking about possibly putting some twists in the face side of the mask, and adding a small eye glass frame. That way, I won't have to put a strap through my hair, and can take on and off.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate any options that you out there may have.

XOXOXO

Selina Kiss

IP Logged

1B1G
Aluminum Member

Don't foget to duck

Ontario CANADA
Reply #6 - 06/07/09 at 8:42pm

I was going to suggest spirit gum or medical adhesive, but I see that you want the option of being able to remove it.  The Batgirl mask I have has the strap, and yes it does take some time for it to be position right, but it cam be done.  ( That's why I like the cowl better Smiley)

IP Logged

Voxboy
Free-Bird

"Oh, those two!! Hither,
thither and YON!!!"

Louisville/Southern Indiana
Reply #7 - 06/07/09 at 8:47pm

I think it's certainly worth a try!  I do wonder if it might suffer from the problem Scott described -- sliding down the nose like a pair of glasses, that is.  Perhaps if they were done like those shooter's glasses, where the earpiece ends in a sort of springy curly-cue resembling a guitar string;  you hook 'em on, and I don't think they're as prone to sliding off.  If you can get your fingers under your hair to hook the loop behind the ear, you can have 'em on or off in just a second or two longer than with conventional earpieces.

IP Logged

akaBruceWayne
Gothamite

Chicago
Reply #8 - 06/07/09 at 11:39pm

Selina,

You might want to try a product called
Topstick Clear Hairpiece Tape
. I use it for my Green Lantern Mask. It is made for the skin. You can buy it a Sally's Beauty Supply store. It cost $5.00. Give it a try to see if it works for you.

Hope this helps!!  Smiley

Good even though sometimes sidetracked, always repeat always triumphs over evil!!   Your Bat-Friend, Brian  Smiley
WWW http://www.myspace.com/akabrucewayne66 http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1  
IP Logged

Scott Sebring
Bat Moderator

Just doing my duty as
a good citizen

Fontana, CA
Reply #9 - 06/08/09 at 12:08am

selina wrote on 06/07/09 at 4:57pm:
Possibly Scott. But I remember the villain scene she is seated for quite a period of time, and it would seem that it would have fallen off or she would have been holding it as well repositioning it constantly.  

That wasn't a continuous shot from sitting and talking at length to taking it off.  They cutaway to her standing there for barely a second before taking it off.  They switched masks for the removal take.

selina wrote on 06/07/09 at 4:57pm:
Regarding the sub, again, possibly, as my understanding is that this was a stuntwoman and not Lee in the scene. For that matter, the stunt double may not even have had a mask on as she is to the camerathe whole scene. When she trips on the periscope stand, a prop guy could have thrown it on the floor or pulled it from under the round stand with a string to simulate it falling off. 

No the stunt double is clearly wearing the mask for barely a second or so with the face tilted slightly up and then threw their head down as she fell.  Gravity did the rest.

...   ...
IP Logged

Scott Sebring
Bat Moderator

Just doing my duty as
a good citizen

Fontana, CA
Reply #10 - 06/08/09 at 12:10am

Voxboy wrote on 06/07/09 at 8:47pm:
I think it's certainly worth a try!  I do wonder if it might suffer from the problem Scott described -- sliding down the nose like a pair of glasses, that is.  Perhaps if they were done like those shooter's glasses, where the earpiece ends in a sort of springy curly-cue resembling a guitar string;  you hook 'em on, and I don't think they're as prone to sliding off.  If you can get your fingers under your hair to hook the loop behind the ear, you can have 'em on or off in just a second or two longer than with conventional earpieces.

I talked to Vickie about this glasses idea and she said that the head band for the cat ears would probably push the mask away as well or just get in the way due to bulk.  She should know since she's the one who wears the stuff.  She said elastic is the best bet for it to look fitted.  Then again, she's never seen the reason to take it on and off again during an appearance.

...   ...
IP Logged

mista shake speer
Bat Fabulous

The Dark Speer has gone

tampa florida
Reply #11 - 06/08/09 at 5:51am

Scott Sebring wrote on 06/05/09 at 1:47pm:
They were all held the same way between the three Catwomen.  Since the elastic is a bear to pull out from under all that hair and hairspray (ask Vickie sometime), it wouldn't simply come off as the script required.  Once when she performs her Kitka act to the other villains and then the end when it falls off in the sub.  This was a simple "stunt mask" with no strap that only had to hold on for a few seconds (possibly a small adhesive tape or even gravity.) Ah, movie magic of being able to do a cutaway.

Note the strap:

Her head is titled and the mask is barely against her face.

No straps at all

I'm always facinated by Batman costume trivia. Thanks Scott.

Cheesy

IP Logged

selina
Bat-ologist

I may be bad, but I'm
purr-fectly good at it
Meow

Metro Chicago/Fox Valley
Reply #12 - 06/08/09 at 3:49pm

Scott Sebring wrote on 06/08/09 at 12:08am:
wasn't a continuous shot from sitting and talking at length to taking it off.They cutaway to her standing there for barely a second 

You might be right. The scene has her with her head down at one point while Joker and Penguin are arguing. That part certainly couldn't be just gravity. They might have done a cut away as you say, and she put on a "gravity" mask. But this would require stopping the filming, and a cut for that is too drastic to do for just taking off a mask.  Although maybe back then that was typical.  Huh

-Selina.

IP Logged

selina
Bat-ologist

I may be bad, but I'm
purr-fectly good at it
Meow

Metro Chicago/Fox Valley
Reply #13 - 06/08/09 at 3:54pm

Scott Sebring wrote on 06/08/09 at 12:10am:
talked 

Vicki is right. When a woman with even just plain glasses has a head band, it may contact and push back screwing them both up.  Wink

Thanks Vicki.

I continue in my quest for the catsuit, and I appreaciate all the wonderful comments and help the board has been.  Look forward to more posts.

Love you all.  Smiley

Selina

IP Logged

selina
Bat-ologist

I may be bad, but I'm
purr-fectly good at it
Meow

Metro Chicago/Fox Valley
Reply #14 - 06/08/09 at 3:58pm

Quote:
I talked to Vickie about this glasses idea and she said that the head band for the cat ears would probably push the mask away as well or just get in the way due to bulk.  She should know since she's the one who wears the stuff.  She said elastic is the best bet for it to look fitted.  Then again, she's never seen the reason to take it on and off again during an appearance.

Embarrassed

Sorry guys. The mark and quote didn't come out on the last post as I wanted.  This is what I was referring to.

XOXO

Selina.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print