The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Merchandise › Creating an Adam West Era Batman Costume
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating an Adam West Era Batman Costume (Read 3713 times)
Canadian Bat-Fan
Not a Newbie

Looking a costume maker
in Ontario

Toronto, Ontario
Creating an Adam West Era Batman Costume
08/28/09 at 5:47pm

Hello everyone let me just start off by saying that i'm new to this board and it looks like you guys are pretty much the best when it comes to creating batman costumes. So is there anyone that can provide me with full info on what materials are needed to create the costume from head to toe and the best places or sites for aquiring them. Also if anyone knows any good sites that can construct the entire costume then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and I'm very happy to be apart of this board. Smiley

IP Logged

aerialprince
Totally Batty

Batsy Twin 1

Lynnfield, MA
Re: Creating an Adam West Era Batman Costume
Reply #1 - 08/28/09 at 6:17pm

Welcome to the boards.

If you look around the crafts section you will find more than you need for any information in regards to constructing a Costume.

Have a blast here!

IP Logged

Voxboy
Free-Bird

"Oh, those two!! Hither,
thither and YON!!!"

Louisville/Southern Indiana
Reply #2 - 08/28/09 at 7:16pm

Have a blast indeed!  And welcome aboard!   In the words of Simon & Garfunkel "stroll around the grounds until you feel at home."

You can either search for specific terms (I recommend limiting yourself to the "crafts" forum, and be sure to click on "all posts," so you don't miss anything), or you can just start start perusing every page, pausing to read any thread that strikes your fancy (I'd recommend trying both approaches, because you never know what you might find by using the latter!).  Also, there's a thread over in the "Merchandise" section which might interest you ,somebody basically asked the same question yesterday, and there are a few good replies already which will point you in the right direction.

On the downside, what you're about to embark on is not an inexpensive venture if you go the high-end route (remember, Bruce Wayne WAS a millionaire, and even Adam West had the full faith & backing of the 20th Century Fox Wardrobe Dept. to fall back on), but you CAN make a very nice costume yourself on the cheap, although even THAT will run into a LITTLE money.  It all depends on how resourceful you are, or how much money you can afford to throw at the project.

IP Logged

Canadian Bat-Fan
Not a Newbie

Looking a costume maker
in Ontario

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #3 - 08/28/09 at 7:38pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and info guys. One last question I have is what would say roughly the average price to create the entire costume is?

ADMIN NOTE: Please read our FAQ and Merchandise rules

IP Logged

Voxboy
Free-Bird

"Oh, those two!! Hither,
thither and YON!!!"

Reply #4 - 08/28/09 at 8:24pm

"How much you got?"  Wink

Seriously, though, I tried to find an old thread I accidentally ran across the other day, somebody did a nice breakdown of what to expect to pay for each component.  Basically, it seemed like, if you're going for an EXACT (or near exact), screen-accurate (or "improved-upon 'screen-accurate,'" I guess you could call it), you might expect to lay out as much as (catch your breath) around $2300 or thereabout.  Now, that's if you buy EVERYTHING ready-made, each item coming from a top-notch craftsman, and using only the best materials for the project.

At the other end, I've seen threads where people have done decent-looking low-budget or no-budget projects for maybe $100 -- $300 -- but I should add, that's doing pretty much everything yourself, finding a low-cost alternative for every component, and possibly having a few items around the house that you can incorporate.  Basically, you're looking at a bit of sewing, perhaps making a couple of plaster casts, a bit of fiberglass work or vacuforming for the shell (or you can go for an even cheaper alternative), a bit of metalwork, a bit of leathercraft, maybe a little woodworking, some painting, and a fair amount of sewing, but it's all very do-able.  I'm doing my whole costume pretty much from scratch, and for me, the most expensive component will probably be the tights, because I want to go with what everybody else is using for that.  That's about $100 right there, but I bet I've done the whole rest of the suit for about $150, perhaps less.  Do a search of this forum with the search term "budget" and you'll find some good threads by some fairly ingenious people.

Hope that helps, and hasn't put you off your quest yet!  Smiley

IP Logged

Canadian Bat-Fan
Not a Newbie

Looking a costume maker
in Ontario

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #5 - 08/28/09 at 9:29pm

Wow $2300, it looks like I'll have to aquire each part seperatley over time. But thanks for the great summary of everything and are there any forums with links to craftsman that specifically make the costume parts or do you order the top of the line materials and make it yourself?

Sorry if I'm asking to much.

IP Logged

Voxboy
Free-Bird

"Oh, those two!! Hither,
thither and YON!!!"

Reply #6 - 09/01/09 at 11:03am

Well, you can always do it yourself, there are lots of people on this board who do.  If you peruse the threads over in the "Bat Crafts" section for a few days, you'll find a wealth of information as to who does what, who's done what, and how they did it.  You might also just work up the gumption to try it yourself, in whole or in part, depending on how "crafty" you are.  I've seen threads on here where people have done a complete suit for a fraction of that.  Besides, you get the satisfaction of saying "I did this!" on something you created from the ground up.

IP Logged

thefanboy59
Bat Geezer

Saugus,MA
Reply #7 - 09/01/09 at 1:00pm

Attention Scott  & Lee!

I have always felt since this subject is a common.
Show we not have some thing on top of the craft section to answer newbie costume questions.
Just a thought. Smiley

Welcome Canadian Batfan!

IP Logged

Chuck Williams
Totally Batty

Quick,Everyone,flee for
your lives,into the street

Reply #8 - 09/01/09 at 3:16pm

Welcome aboard!!!

The most time sensitive thing is the Batsuit fabric. The maker went out of business so it's getting more and more difficult to find (not impossible though).

Look in privately owned or smaller fabric stores for "Lastex" in white. If Lastex gets you a vacant stare, say you're looking for a heavyweight WOVEN stretch satin. They may have Lastex and not know it.

Do not waste your time with any larger fabric store chain like JoAnne's or Hancocks. Been there. Not there. Won't be there.

This madness is only if you want a screen accurate costume. There are heavyweight satin lycras out now that will work just fine for all but the most "obsessed" costumers.

Good luck in your quest!! Many of us have been there!!! Wink

Chuck...

IP Logged

Canadian Bat-Fan
Not a Newbie

Looking a costume maker
in Ontario

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #9 - 09/02/09 at 12:38am

Thanks for all the help guys but I came across a website that creates the entire costume for a good price and its a great looking costume to. I wish I had the time to create my own but with school, job and writing for a website I don't have the time to get the materials or create one, but I thank everyone for the encouragement though. Who knows maybe when I get my suit made from actioncostumes.com and when schools all done I'll go the distance and create a screen accurate batman suit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print