The New 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
click on the utility belt pouches for navigation and additional board features
Bat Resources Bat Art Bat Photos Home Bat Videos Bat Audio EMPTY - For Future Use
This version of the forum is locked and for archive purposes only. The current forum can be found here: http://www.66batman.com/forums/ Go To Bat Chat
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveBat Board › So That's Where Gotham Is
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
So That's Where Gotham Is (Read 1276 times)
Chuck
Totally Batty

The World's Greatest Detective!

Colorado
So That's Where Gotham Is
02/05/11 at 8:03pm

I've always wondered what huge city they used for Gotham City and now I know. (and you do too if you caught Young Justice yesterday)
On a Map they show Gotham City between New York and Boston with Jersey and Springfield Ill to the upper Left and Right.
So now we know.

rhythmknight98 Chuck  
IP Logged

Waterratt
Completely Batty

Beware vermin... oh wait
a minute...

Eastern United States
Re: So That's Where Gotham Is
Reply #1 - 02/05/11 at 9:04pm

According the the Who's Who in the DC Universe, DC placed Gotham City in the lower portion of New Jersey, just above Metropolis, which is in Deleware.

Gotham City's geography, like other fictional cities' geographies in the DC Universe, has varied over the decades, because of changing writers, editors and storylines. The majority of appearances place Gotham on the Northeastern coast of the United States, where New York City is located. However, the Atlas of the DC Universe states that Gotham is located in New Jersey, across the Delaware Bay from Metropolis.

On TV, in the series "Young Justice" (during the episode entitled "Schooled") an onscreen map indicates that Gotham City is located in south-west Connecticut (approximately near the real world location of Westport). However, as the show takes place on Earth-16, it is unclear whether Gotham is in Connecticut only on Earth-16, or if it is located in that state across the worlds of the Multiverse.

dcusa_ne.bmp (Attachment deleted)

No matter where you go, there you are.
http://www.myspace.com/matthew4345 http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged

Waterratt
Completely Batty

Beware vermin... oh wait
a minute...

Eastern United States
Reply #2 - 02/05/11 at 9:14pm

Here is an interesting tidbit of info regarding Gotham City...

Gotham City (pronounced /ˈɡɒθəm/ GOTH-əm), a fictional city appearing in DC Comics, and is the home of Batman. Batman's place of residence was first identified as Gotham City in Batman #4 (Winter 1940). Writer Bill Finger on the naming of the city and reasoning for changing Batman's locale from Manhattan to a fictional city: "Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City'. Then I tried 'Capital City', then 'Coast City'. Then I flipped through the phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it', Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we didn't want anybody in any city to identify with it." "Gotham" had long been a well-known nickname for New York City even prior to Batman's 1939 introduction, which explains why "Gotham Jewelers" and many other businesses in New York City have the word "Gotham" in them. The name Gotham was first popularized as a nickname for New York City in the ninteenth century periodical Salmagundi.

http://www.myspace.com/matthew4345 http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged

suedenim
Not a Newbie

I Love Batgirl!

Reply #3 - 02/05/11 at 9:21pm

I've tried to provide accurate information on the various possible locations of Gotham City, Metropolis, and several other Fictionopolis cities on this TVTropes page:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhereTheHellIsSpringfield

It gets to be a  complicated question!

IP Logged

Bats1
Bat Board Contributor

I Love the 1965 Batmobile

the batcave
Reply #4 - 02/05/11 at 9:47pm

Way back in the 1930's and prior, New York City had many burroughs much like modern day Cleveland. One of these burroughs in south central NYC was referred to as Gotham city. This was where you went if you needed illicit items or a prostitute. This is where Bob Kane got the idea for "Gotham City". I used to have an old map that showed Gotham as a section of New York City...i'll try and find it and post it.

Mankind has yet to evolve but a single inch from the slime that spawned him!
IP Logged

Waterratt
Completely Batty

Beware vermin... oh wait
a minute...

Eastern United States
Reply #5 - 02/05/11 at 10:06pm

That's a good link you provided Suedenim, there are two '66 references for Gotham City:

◦Gotham City, home of Batman, is located in New Jersey, across the Delaware Bay from Metropolis, according to the World's Greatest Superheroes comic strip (see above). But it too has had several alternate candidates:
■New York. Many have said "Metropolis is New York by day; Gotham City is New York at night."
■Chicago. The Dark Knight was filmed there.
■The fictional state of "New Gotham."
■The relative location of Gotham City to Metropolis can vary greatly. Sometimes, the two cities are practically "Twin Cities," while in other depictions, they're hundreds of miles apart.
■The 1966 Batman TV series gives Gotham City TV stations with the call letters KGC and KGOM, implying that Gotham is located somewhere west of the Mississippi. On the other hand, the series also has many punny references to New York (for instance, Gotham analogues to New York's mayor at the time, John Lindsay and state governor Nelson Rockefeller.) The show was, of course, actually filmed in southern California.
■Cowboy villain Shame put a crimper on the "west of the Mississippi" theory by stating that the Showdown At High Noon rule that requires that both participants be armed is invalid east of the Mississippi.

IP Logged

Bats1
Bat Board Contributor

I Love the 1965 Batmobile

the batcave
Reply #6 - 02/05/11 at 10:12pm

Nice summary Watterrat! Wink

Mankind has yet to evolve but a single inch from the slime that spawned him!
IP Logged

ghostdog
Bat-God

KING of the NILE!!!

Corinth, Mississippi
Reply #7 - 02/05/11 at 10:24pm

I've always assumed and thought of New York City as being Gotham City??? Huh

What a GREAT place to be!!!
IP Logged

Catfan
Cattius Maximus

Female Robins and Catwoman
rock!

180 miles from Saratoga County
Reply #8 - 02/05/11 at 10:30pm

Funny, I had thought Gotham City would have been located by Asbury Park, NJ.  But Metropolis' location seems to make sense.  This is so very interesting!

WWW Catfan Catfan catfan1959 batman1969 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id= frontenac_media CatfanBogota  
IP Logged

ghostdog
Bat-God

KING of the NILE!!!

Corinth, Mississippi
Reply #9 - 02/05/11 at 10:36pm

ghostdog wrote on 02/05/11 at 10:24pm:
I've always assumed and thought of New York City as being Gotham City??? Huh

And I've always thought of Chicago as being Metropolis! Huh

What a GREAT place to be!!!
IP Logged

suedenim
Not a Newbie

I Love Batgirl!

Reply #10 - 02/06/11 at 12:42am

I did most of the editing for the comic book cities on the TVTropes page - it's kind of a weird obsession of mine.

One fun fact from the "JLA/Avengers" DC/Marvel crossover series: You know why DC Earth has all these cities that don't exist on Marvel/"our" Earth?  Because DC's Earth is, physically, slightly larger

In other words, their Delaware is able to hold a Metropolis while ours isn't!

The Metropolis=Chicago hypothesis is mentioned too.  My basic theory is that the more attention Smallville gets in any given work, the more likely Metropolis is to be a Chicago analogue.  But Smallville itself being clearly located in Kansas, or even the Midwest, is a relatively new thing (with the 1978 movie.)  Silver Age Smallville might very well have been in rural New York or somesuch.

IP Logged

mrdeathtrap
Gothamite

The Worst Is Yet To Come!

Reply #11 - 02/06/11 at 8:40am

Citizens,

I have long believed Metropolis is analogous to the Superman creators' home town of Cleveland.

Mr. Deathtrap

Tune in tomorrow for their exciting conclusion!&&&&Same Bat-Time&&&&Same Bat-Channel

IP Logged

tomstoyz
Completely Batty

Visit BAT-BLOG.COM

Oklahoma City, OK
Reply #12 - 02/06/11 at 9:03am

Angry That's funny, I noticed that MAP on the new episode too & thought it was kind of a weird location.

CHECK OUT THE NEW BAT-BLOG! http://www.bat-blog.com ...
WWW batblog  
IP Logged

BatLuke
Free-Bird

Holy Cow!

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 02/06/11 at 12:13pm

Metropolis is in IL so Gotham must be somewhere around there too?

IP Logged

Batfink
Bat Resident

Sweet little... Buttercup!

above the 49th Parallel
Reply #14 - 02/06/11 at 12:24pm

I always thought in the DC Universe, the 1966 Batman earth known as "Earth 66", Gotham City is in California.  Could it be in Burbank? hahaha

IP Logged

That_weirdo_Cage
Absolutely Batty

He's scared of Slender
Man.

U.S. Midwest
Reply #15 - 02/07/11 at 1:45pm

I always imagined Gotham being a declining industrial city on one of the Great Lakes, growing up.  Then I thought it was in New York.  Having it in either New Jersey or Connecticut seems weird to me.  Hmm.   Undecided

Seems to be a city that gets around a lot!  Maybe it's like Springfield, in that Simpsons episode where they move the whole city.   Grin  Or its a magic city that changes locations.

DC city placement is bizarre to me.  I still can't get my head around the idea that the Flash's Central City is meant to be an analogue of Indianapolis.   Grin  To have and support a rogue's gallery like that, I'd think it would have to be one of those magnet cities, to which people from all over want to move.  Which doesn't describe anything in the area, really.   Undecided

But I digress....   Embarrassed

Currently wearing:
1) Bat-Mite Underoos
2) Grumpy Pants
3) His Bat-anorak
4) Purple socks
5) Thinking Cap: second-hand & glitchy

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is ever absolutely so."
Sturgeon's Revelation: "90 percent of everything is crud."
IP Logged

Etruscan Snood
Aluminum Member

"Holy priceless collection
of Etruscan Snoods!"

Chicago
Reply #16 - 02/07/11 at 3:38pm

I always thought it was underneath St. Louis, under a layer of lucite... hehehe...

IP Logged

BountyHunter
Citizen

CT
Reply #17 - 02/07/11 at 7:37pm

I seem to remember in the series that crossing the Gotham River Bridge is the way to "New Gurnsey" as well as mention to "Short Island Sound", a definite play on words substituted for New Jersey and Long Island Sound putting the TV series Gotham as New York. How about the United Nations Building in the '66 movie which is in New York City?

BountyHunter3793  
IP Logged

crashstreetkid
Citizen

To the Batpoles!

Reading, UK
Reply #18 - 02/08/11 at 3:11am

Not forgetting "Chime Square"... or the Stock Exchange (which I guess would be Wall St).

IP Logged

selina
Bat-ologist

I may be bad, but I'm
purr-fectly good at it
Meow

Metro Chicago/Fox Valley
Reply #19 - 02/08/11 at 7:49pm

I purr-sonally always thought of the state it's in as being located in a state of mind.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print