Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: To access the board you MUST fill out your profile. Once this is complete, you will be granted full access. Having trouble registering? Haven't received a confirmation email? Contact the administrators here.
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveThe Green Hornet › Other actors as the Green Hornet?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Other actors as the Green Hornet? (Read 4165 times)
k
Gothamite

"I never gamble."

Other actors as the Green Hornet?
05/03/12 at 3:22am

I really thought Tom Simcox did a good job as the Hornet's doppleganger in Corpse of the Year. He has a sinister look in the mask that might've worked for the character. On the youtube link I've added you can compare, and Simcox gets some positive comments. Is it true that an actor named Skip Ward was Dozier's first choice for the Green Hornet? Dozier seemed to go for blondish beach type actors when casting. Ty Harden was his first choice for Batman, and his first look at West was a beach pic of him carrying a surfboard. Later, Skip Ward turned up on Batman as surfer "Skip Parker".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Q_zbEfz6s

SKIP_WARD.gif (Attachment deleted)

"You would think Batman would know better. You would think he, of all  people, would understand how potentially unsafe it is to be surrounded by people you love. The risk of loss is always too great."
                                        G Knights

IP Logged

Shemp
Bat Neighbor

I'm a victim of coicumstance!

NW New Joisey
Re: Other actors as the Green Hornet?
Reply #1 - 05/06/12 at 9:30pm

Gordon Jones was good in THE GREEN HORNET (1940), although his masked identity was voice-dubbed by the radio show's Al Hodge. 

Jones was equally adept at comedy, seen here in a scene from THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW...

IP Logged

k
Gothamite

"I never gamble."

Reply #2 - 06/14/12 at 2:31am

I totally missed out on the other two actors (Michael Lipton & Jay Murray) who, along with Van Williams, auditioned for the Hornet role & filmed screen tests!! Man, was I in the dark. I had no idea, I just happened upon it today. I'm surprised someone did not mention this. And the actors weren't bad! Actually I thought they were each very good in very particular ways. Some of the other key roles were filled in with other audition-ees.

I found many old links for youtube videos of these, but they're gone. After an exhaustive search I found the two tests linked together elsewhere. 20 minutes is pretty exhaustive by google terms -- most searches I do go about 20 seconds.  Smiley This was actually quite buried. I'd bet my boxed Playing Mantis repro Captain Action Green Hornet figure that no one else can find it! Almost.
If anyone wants to see it, message me & I'll give you the link. I'm paranoid that if I post them, they'll get removed like the youtube videos. but again,
WOW
. Who knew?

"You would think Batman would know better. You would think he, of all  people, would understand how potentially unsafe it is to be surrounded by people you love. The risk of loss is always too great."
                                        G Knights

IP Logged

k
Gothamite

"I never gamble."

Reply #3 - 06/23/12 at 4:31am

Thanks for all the pms! A few comments on the 'Hornets' yeah or nay would be nice! I liked Michael Lipton. Too me, he was the 'Adam West' of the test pilots, and 'Jay Murray', the Lyle Waggoner. The people who see the Batman Adam West test as "camp" are are coming in with they're own predisposed assumptions & not watching the damn thing. Yeah, Waggoner was physically more like Batman of 1965, but as far the tests, Waggoneer gave almost nothing. He was flat. West, a more experienced actor, was many times better doing a multi-faceted "dramatic" Batman. He may have gone 'camp' later, but here he was very straight. Many other comments on youtube will echo this. As much as Van Williams was good in the role, Lipton did an interesting interpretation. He was more mature than Van Williams, and his face was a bit more marked -- compared to Williams who was a bit of a 'Pretty Boy'. Still Williams was enjoyable as the Hornet, and he's all we know. Could Lipton have been better in the part? We'll never know.

G Knights

IP Logged

v194
Bat Neighbor

Who is this Batman anyway?

The Garage
Reply #4 - 06/24/12 at 11:17am

Personally I think Lipton and Murray were "dry." They did not have that dynamic quality that Van has,  The producers made the right choice.

WWW http://www.myspace.com/1966blackbeauty  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print