Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: To access the board you MUST fill out your profile. Once this is complete, you will be granted full access. Having trouble registering? Haven't received a confirmation email? Contact the administrators here.
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveThe Green Hornet › Should the Hornet TV series have been set in the '30's?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should the Hornet TV series have been set in the '30's? (Read 5824 times)
k
Gothamite

"I never gamble."

Should the Hornet TV series have been set in the '30's?
06/05/12 at 11:51am

I'm of two minds here. I like that the Green Hornet series is somewhat 60's mod, but at the same time I think it might've been more successful if the show had been set in the Hornet's heyday of the 1930's. Much like the popular old Wonder Woman series was set in the 1940's. I think it would've made it more believable that Britt Reid could hide his identity (less media, less cooperation between police agencies, no teevee) & tool around in that big black land yacht without being caught. And the 1990's 'Shadow' movie, while not overly successful, I think was much better as a period piece than it would've been if it had been set in the time it was made. Any opinions? 

hornet30s.jpg (Attachment deleted)

"You would think Batman would know better. You would think he, of all  people, would understand how potentially unsafe it is to be surrounded by people you love. The risk of loss is always too great."
                                        G Knights

IP Logged

greenhornetinphila
Bat Resident

The Green Hornet , there's
nothing like him.

Philadelphia
Re: Should the Hornet TV series have been set in the '30's?
Reply #1 - 06/05/12 at 3:17pm

This would be hard to determine, because the GH popularity was in the 60's, and even though it was also back in the late 30's, that's all we can compare it to. Now if the 60's tv show was to take place back in the 30's, then we would have no other choice to accept it as it was.
But, personaly, i like the way it was portrayed as it was in the 60's.

IP Logged

Catfan
Cattius Maximus

Female Robins and Catwoman
rock!

180 miles from Saratoga County
Reply #2 - 06/06/12 at 1:09am

I liked it being set in the 1960s myself, just as I would appreciate a modern version set in the present time and era.  I'll admit a retro version has its merits, though.

WWW Catfan Catfan catfan1959 batman1969 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id= frontenac_media CatfanBogota  
IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Reply #3 - 06/06/12 at 9:09pm

Fascinating topic! I fully understand your reasons for setting the series in the 30s, but I feel GH was just as effective in the 60s. As presented, he was a tough customer, his weapons were decades above the police and criminals of the era, and the Black Beauty was just as advanced as the Batmobile.

Now, if you think Batman and Robin were well equipped to handle the fantastic villains of Gotham, I would think GH & Kato--well matched in many ways--were more than able to handle organized crime figures, corrupt politicians, and even a would-be super-villain like Dr. Mabuse.

IP Logged

k
Gothamite

"I never gamble."

Reply #4 - 06/07/12 at 4:53am

BATWINGED HORNET wrote on 06/06/12 at 9:09pm:
I feel GH was just as effective in the 60s. As presented, he was a tough customer, his weapons were decades above the police and criminals of the era, and the Black Beauty was just as advanced as the Batmobile.

Granted, maybe. But Batman was a fantasy while the Hornet was supposedly anchored into something resembling reality. Also, Batman had Gordon's protection & was not at any case considered a criminal. What was to stop the police from putting every 1960's squad car in a radius where the Hornet usually appeared? I found it odd how, on the series, he wheeled around on the sames streets over & over without the police desending on him. There would have been more holes for the Hornet to escape thru in the 1930's.  

Now, if you think Batman and Robin were well equipped to handle the fantastic villains of Gotham, I would think GH & Kato--well matched in many ways--were more than able to handle organized crime figures, corrupt politicians, and even a would-be super-villain like Dr. Mabuse.

Dr. Mabuse?!! OMG. That I'd like to see! More argument for putting him in the past.

"You would think Batman would know better. You would think he, of all  people, would understand how potentially unsafe it is to be surrounded by people you love. The risk of loss is always too great."
                                        G Knights

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Reply #5 - 06/08/12 at 7:52am

k wrote on 06/07/12 at 4:53am:
I feel GH was just as effective in the 60s. As presented, he was a tough customer, his weapons were decades above the police and criminals of the era, and the Black Beauty was just as advanced as the Batmobile.

Granted, maybe. But Batman was a fantasy while the Hornet was supposedly anchored into something resembling reality. Also, Batman had Gordon's protection & was not at any case considered a criminal. What was to stop the police from putting every 1960's squad car in a radius where the Hornet usually appeared? I found it odd how, on the series, he wheeled around on the sames streets over & over without the police desending on him. There would have been more holes for the Hornet to escape thru in the 1930's.  

I would think the police--while on the alert for GH & K--felt some apprehension. GH had a reputation, and after a time, the police were aware of the Black Beauty's weapons, so if you were a policeman, would you risk being blown apart whether you cut of the car in front, or chased him? I know a pursuit happened on the series, but there must have been a reason why more police conflicts did not occur.

Quote:
Dr. Mabuse?!! OMG. That I'd like to see! More argument for putting him in the past.[/size]

Heh, well, the Dr. Eric Mabuse of TGH series was cut from the pompous mastermind cloth of Bond villains of the 60s, rather than any other sharing the name.

IP Logged

BatCitizen
Tin Foil Member

I Love The 1966 Batman!

Los Angeles
Reply #6 - 07/02/12 at 6:17pm

I am glad the series was based in the same time period as the Batman tv show was. I know that making a time period piece for a tv show isn't a bad thing if done well (Mad Men for instance). But with all the improvements in terms of gadgets to use and technology of the 1960's I think it was fine to have had an updated Green Hornet for television. What hurt the show , indeed, was the lack of conflict between the Green Hornet and the authorities something that was the tone setter for the GH radio programs of the 30's and 40's. The Green Hornet was , to the police, as much a criminal as the criminals the Green Hornet was going up against. Dozier didn't bring that aspect of the 1930's radio programs into the 1960's tv series well enough for me. 

IP Logged

Bill the Bat
Totally Batty

That's it! It's an omen...
I shall become a BAT!!

Chicago
Reply #7 - 07/24/12 at 2:02pm

Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire are definitely shows that prove a period Green Hornet would be very successful if done well. Matt Wagner's Green Hornet Year One story would make a great basis for the series. Are you listening, HBO?

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

IP Logged

Dr. Manhattan
Tin Foil Member

I'm just the puppet who
can see the strings.

Gila Flats
Reply #8 - 07/24/12 at 4:13pm

Bill the Bat wrote on 07/24/12 at 2:02pm:
Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire are definitely shows that prove a period Green Hornet would be very successful if done well. Matt Wagner's Green Hornet Year One story would make a great basis for the series. Are you listening, HBO?

That sounds good. and speaking of mad men -- jon hamm? what a gh that guy could make

I liked 1930's "shadow" with alec baldwin. it was fun, and a genuine attempt to tell a good story. too bad it didn't catch on. the phantom with billy zane was better for being set in the past, but generally, was not great

hated the seth rogen thing

IP Logged

HONK
Gothamite

Rock City
Reply #9 - 08/26/12 at 8:37pm

There's something to be said for setting in the 30's, but I prefer the "present" as they did it.

The reasons"
a) makes a Bat-crossover possible
b) already had a limited budget due to only running half an hour.  Period cars etc. would have made too much of a dent in the budget
c) Easier to make Kato an almost-equal of Green Hornet with it set in the 60's - I think setting in the past would tend to downplay Kato's role

Great...Scott!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print