Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The 1966 Batman Message Board

Home Help Search Login Register
ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: To access the board you MUST fill out your profile. Once this is complete, you will be granted full access. Having trouble registering? Haven't received a confirmation email? Contact the administrators here.
The 1966 Batman Message BoardThe Bat CaveThe Green Hornet › Watching the entire series for the first time
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Watching the entire series for the first time (Read 3725 times)
simm
Bat Resident

Virginia
Watching the entire series for the first time
06/22/12 at 2:35pm

I picked up the entire series on DVD this month and my family and I are watching TGH for the first time.  So far we have watched the first 10 episodes and are enjoying it very much.  Especially the way Williams played the character straight.  It's different to see a more believable Dozier series.  Wende Wagner as Case is deilghtful as well.  So far I believe we like the first two episodes the best along with the one with the leopard and the transmitter.

michaelsimmerman  
IP Logged

greenhornetinphila
Bat Resident

The Green Hornet , there's
nothing like him.

Philadelphia
Re: Watching the entire series for the first time
Reply #1 - 06/25/12 at 9:09am

Hi, iam glad to see a new viewer of the classic tv show. You will enjoy 98% if the episodes. But just to warn you about the 2 part episode Invasion From Outter Space. Its really a strange and way out there episode. I didnt like this episode and its my #1 worst of the series. My favorite top 5 are:
Hornet Save Thy Self
Bad Bet 459
May The Best Man Loose
Freeway To Death
Beautiful Dreamer  1&2

IP Logged

k
Gothamite

"I never gamble."

Reply #2 - 06/27/12 at 1:27am

greenhornetinphila wrote on 06/25/12 at 9:09am:
Hi, iam glad to see a new viewer of the classic tv show. You will enjoy 98% if the episodes. But just to warn you about the 2 part episode Invasion From Outter Space. Its really a strange and way out there episode. I didnt like this episode and its my #1 worst of the series. My favorite top 5 are:
Hornet Save Thy Self
Bad Bet 459
May The Best Man Loose
Freeway To Death
Beautiful Dreamer  1&2

You know, I just very recently saw the much maligned "Invasion From Outer Space" two parter, and liked it very much! Maybe because I love the old Gerry Anderson U.F.O. series -- I dunno.  Smiley

It had a nice "way out" 'Time Tunnel' or 'Lost in Space' quality. And 'Moth' (From Batman's 'Ring of Wax') guest-starred. (!) These moved away from the "Dragnet in green" series of episodes I'd seen before, opening the possibility of a stranger & more colorful 2nd season. There are a couple I like better, but I found "Outer Space" very enjoyable. 

"You would think Batman would know better. You would think he, of all  people, would understand how potentially unsafe it is to be surrounded by people you love. The risk of loss is always too great."
                                        G Knights

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Reply #3 - 07/14/12 at 4:08pm

k wrote on 06/27/12 at 1:27am:
You know, I just very recently saw the much maligned "Invasion From Outer Space" two parter, and liked it very much! Maybe because I love the old Gerry Anderson U.F.O. series -- I dunno.  Smiley

It had a nice "way out" 'Time Tunnel' or 'Lost in Space' quality. And 'Moth' (From Batman's 'Ring of Wax') guest-starred. (!) These moved away from the "Dragnet in green" series of episodes I'd seen before, opening the possibility of a stranger & more colorful 2nd season. There are a couple I like better, but I found "Outer Space" very enjoyable.  [/size]

I understand what you're saying, but I think the Hornet was best presented when the way-out stuff was rare, like the Mabuse 2-parter and frankly, the Bat crossover. He's a serious character, so he can weather the occasional detour of themes, but adding more of that to the series would hurt it the way Irwin Allen turning up Dr. Smith/Robot schtick on Lost in Space hurt that series after season one.

IP Logged

Dr. Manhattan
Tin Foil Member

I'm just the puppet who
can see the strings.

Gila Flats
Reply #4 - 07/16/12 at 12:25pm

the show needed more costumed supervillains. like peter haskel as the devil

IP Logged

BATWINGED HORNET
Bat Enthusiast

The best of both worlds...

Beneath Wayne Manor
Reply #5 - 07/20/12 at 11:21am

Dr. Manhattan wrote on 07/16/12 at 12:25pm:
the show needed more costumed supervillains. like peter haskel as the devil

Heh....well, that was not an actual "supervillain" costume; he was a his costume party.

False Face on TGH would have been grand!

IP Logged

WEFINKS
Bat Neighbor

I Love the 1966 Batman!

pa
Reply #6 - 07/27/12 at 7:49pm

I kinda dig that the Hornet was the most far out character in the show.

IP Logged

pweakley
Bat Resident

The green hornet forever!

Pasadena, CA
Reply #7 - 07/28/12 at 10:57am

i agree. the focus was on the Green Hornet and Kato, instead of on a bevy of bizarre bad guys. that, imho is and has been the failing of the batman movies. They have to always be going for more and more outlandish villains instead of concentrating on the hero. At least in Burton's first film we got a look into Batman's internal life, esp through Michael Keaton's
great acting.

IP Logged

WEFINKS
Bat Neighbor

I Love the 1966 Batman!

pa
Reply #8 - 07/28/12 at 11:56am

I'd love to see a Batman movie where HE was the only one in a costume.  He would be a truly frightening figure!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print