Do you prefer the cliffhanger episodes or the resolutions?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

I prefer the first episode where B&R are in the trap at the end of the episode.
77%
I prefer the finale where they escape and catch the villain.
23%

Total votes: 13

dell

Post by dell »

Do you prefer the first episode of each two-parter where B&R find the villain(s), get captured and the episode ends with them in the deathtrap? Or do you prefer the second episode where they escape and arrest the villain(s) and Gotham City is once again safe?

I almost always prefer the first episode. It just leaves you on edge and seems more exciting.
dell
Dr. Shimel

Re: Do you prefer the cliffhanger episodes or the resolution

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The original viewers obviously preferred the conclusion, which is why they finally went away from the two-minute recap at the start of Part 2
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

1st season Cliffhangers and resolutions were more balanced in terms of quality--I found myself just as satisfied with the resolution in that year than the rest of the series. Thanks to the producers thinking viwered were all about the punch-up at the end, cliffhangers in S2 lost some of the advantage writers put into the set-up, and means of getting the Dynamic Duo into trouble. For example, one of the best, most serial-like cliffhangers was the Penguin's dual death trap of electrocuting O'Hara while preparing to shoot the approaching duo--exciting & tense, but the resolution did not live up to it.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:For example, one of the best, most serial-like cliffhangers was the Penguin's dual death trap of electrocuting O'Hara while preparing to shoot the approaching duo--exciting & tense, but the resolution did not live up to it.
That was the first episode filmed for S2, but was held back for three months. I thought the resolution was fairly unique, since I don't believe any other criminal (to date) had been captured at Wayne Manor.
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:For example, one of the best, most serial-like cliffhangers was the Penguin's dual death trap of electrocuting O'Hara while preparing to shoot the approaching duo--exciting & tense, but the resolution did not live up to it.
Yes, I agree with this. It was a common failing in many movie serials too-setting up a 'way cool' cliffhanger and then 'copping out' on the resolution (like showing Batman simply walking away from a fiery plane crash or car going off a cliff). Even though I prefer the first episode of the week, the show actually did have quite a few good resolutions along with the goofy ones. I think perhaps the Bookworm episode's resolution was the best, and there was even another excellent cliffhanger later in the same episode. But the suspense of part one was more fun than seeing everything get wrapped up in part two.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Dr. Shimel wrote: That was the first episode filmed for S2, but was held back for three months. I thought the resolution was fairly unique, since I don't believe any other criminal (to date) had been captured at Wayne Manor.
Joker was later on in season 2 in his artist two parter. Technically Alfred captured him, too.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

And I must say that after the DVD release I'm tired of the second part recap. When the heck did they stop that waste of time? If they had cut all those out, The money saved would have built better sets in S3.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

It seems like with most two part stories part one is best. The scenario is set and a cliff hanger put in lace. For seem reason part two often falls flat. Sometimes it's because they didn't have enough to fill out the half hour some times the second part seems hurried.

People describe Batman as being like an old serial, but it wasn't. In old serials I've seen, the end of a chapter would come suddenly and it would appear the hero already met his fate. Then in the next part we would find how he escaped. For example, in Batman and Robin, the duo run into an airplane and the plane immediately exploded. In the next part we saw that the duo immediately ran out of the other side of the plane before he explosion. Kind of lame actually.
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

I was unable to vote because I enjoy both parts equally. It was a treat for me getting the DVDs for Christmas and watching these episodes for the first time in decades, and not remembering how they escaped some of the time.

Indeed, some of the escapes were very lame, but others were sensational. Batman using the batclaws and using his utility belt to drive Catwoman's tiger into tameness. Batman & Robin back to back, locking arms, climbing out of the smoke stack where Joker placed them, just to name a couple.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

clavierankh wrote:For example, in Batman and Robin, the duo run into an airplane and the plane immediately exploded. In the next part we saw that the duo immediately ran out of the other side of the plane before he explosion. Kind of lame actually.
If that was the 1949 serial, then yes, it was lame. They were just going through the motions, and not even trying to present a sensible/satisfying conclusion.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Batguitarist wrote:And I must say that after the DVD release I'm tired of the second part recap. When the heck did they stop that waste of time? If they had cut all those out, The money saved would have built better sets in S3.

John
November of 1966 was when they just began showing the Duo in whatever trap they had been left in, leaving out the laborious recap.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

That was the first episode filmed for S2, but was held back for three months. I thought the resolution was fairly unique, since I don't believe any other criminal (to date) had been captured at Wayne Manor.
Interesting! It would have been a much better opening than "The Archer". However, the entire two-parter, written by Lorenzo Semple -- which probably looked great on paper, was a let down. The pacing, tone, camera angles and film quality (direction), were probably factors. But I find it very unmemorable.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
Batguitarist wrote:And I must say that after the DVD release I'm tired of the second part recap. When the heck did they stop that waste of time? If they had cut all those out, The money saved would have built better sets in S3.

John
November of 1966 was when they just began showing the Duo in whatever trap they had been left in, leaving out the laborious recap.
Huh? You sure? I am just starting season 2 (1967) and the recap is still there. Never noticed how incredibly time wasting that was. I hear viewers stopped watching part one for the most part?

John
Music. BAT! Music.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Progress Pigment wrote:

Interesting! It would have been a much better opening than "The Archer". However, the entire two-parter, written by Lorenzo Semple -- which probably looked great on paper, was a let down. The pacing, tone, camera angles and film quality (direction), were probably factors. But I find it very unmemorable.
Season one was Spring of 66. Season 2 was fall 66 thru spring 67. November 66 is correct.

I heard one reason for the change was that people were skipping part one because they could catch up on the recap. I imagine it was also a lot cheaper to show the due in the death trap again then to edit together the recap.
Pengy

Post by Pengy »

Progress Pigment wrote: Interesting! It would have been a much better opening than "The Archer". However, the entire two-parter, written by Lorenzo Semple -- which probably looked great on paper, was a let down. The pacing, tone, camera angles and film quality (direction), were probably factors. But I find it very unmemorable.
I disagree. I think it was one of the best episodes of the series. You could tell it was written by the great Lorenzo. He penned some of the best episodes.