TO THE BATPOLES podcast #89: “Fashions in Crime”: Hard-Boiled Batman '66

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

TO THE BATPOLES podcast #89: “Fashions in Crime”: Hard-Boiled Batman '66

Post by bat-rss »

In this episode we talk about "Fashions in Crime", an unshot Batman '66 script (based on the 1948 comics story of the same name) written by Peggy Shaw (a.k.a. Peggy O'Shea). Submitted in 1965, the script seems to reflect familiarity with Lorenzo Semple's early Bat-scripts. While parts of the script fit the tone of Batman '66, others would have been better suited to a Mickey Spillane novel. In this episode, Tim and Paul go through the script, and reveal a surprise ending — not to the story contained in the script, but to the story of the script itself!

PLUS: The Washington Dead Cats version of the theme, and your mail!

http://tothebatpoles.libsyn.com/089-fas ... -batman-66

(if you haven't read the script yet, it's linked from the above-linked page!)
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
John Mack

Re: TO THE BATPOLES podcast #89: “Fashions in Crime”: Hard-Boiled Batman '66

Post by John Mack »

The Washington Deadcats: The Jocker!! I think you'll hear that in this theme version.
Music. BAT! Music.
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

You guys did an awesome job on this podcast. Great work.

==jthree
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Another great one, guys.

A comma after "Holy"--that's strange, since any "Holy" exclamations are never expressed that way.

I'm trying to imagine TV Catwoman's dressed in the original comic costume, and it does not work, or sell the sleek "cat body" look. Its just a dress and a mask. Not very dynamic for live action.

Regarding dating the show with a play on the "Rat Pack", the series abandoned any concern with that in the pilot, with the Go-Go--a type of nightclub that quickly fell out of fashion (as most trendy clubs to every few years), and later, everything from Chad and Jeremy (with all of their played-up, "charming Beatles '64" act) Lesley Gore's appearance, to any bit of dialogue suggesting women could not do a job then-normally thought to be a "man's job" (see: the Nora Clavicle episode). There's no way the series would seem timeless with all of that.
Beneath Wayne Manor
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I think the series does seem timeless though. It's clearly taking place in the 60s yet so surreal, bright and unique it takes place in its own bubble. Same with Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space, etc. The Superfriends Roast however does feel very dated.
High C

Post by High C »

You guys made a lot of terrific observations, although Paul's Chief O'Hara is starting to sound more like Count Floyd from SCTV.

But I lost it when Paul mentioned Batman issue 47 as Batman '47. I can picture it now--'Batman was great until they ruined it with that campy Batman '47.'

'That darn Lesley Gore' will never not be funny when you guys say it.

Nice Vinny Barbarino reference. I had forgotten that one.

I think there was one other reference besides the Chandell ep to Dick possibly having a girlfriend--he did take a date to the masquerade ball in the final Tut arc of season 2.

I feel the same way about the script as I did before--it had potential, but it needed to cut down on the stunts and give Catwoman more dialogue. She feels like a bit of a cipher, and not a fully-realized character.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17