Cesar Romero in 3-D!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bob Furmanek

Cesar Romero in 3-D!

Post by Bob Furmanek »

We're remembering the great Cesar Romero on his birthday: February 15, 1907.

By this fall, you will be seeing his long-lost 3-D feature EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA on Blu-ray as part of our highly anticipated 3-D RARITIES II collection from Flicker Alley.

We're not joking; this rarity has not seen anywhere in 3-D since a few red/cyan anaglyphic bookings in 1954. The black and white cinematography - utilizing the Howard A. Anderson (Star Trek) stereo camera rig - will knock you out!
Corazon-Cesar-collage.jpg
BatMite

Re: Cesar Romero in 3-D!

Post by BatMite »

Will definitely be picking that up. Looking forward to it.
Dan E Kool

Post by Dan E Kool »

How does the 3D effect work? With those red and blue glasses?
- Boy Genius
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Watched a few clips on YT and there's some swordplay (and Katy Jurado throwing bottles at the camera!) that should look good in 3-D. First time I've seen Cesar Romero performing in Spanish, too - did he do his own voice for Batman when it was dubbed in Spanish?

ETA: After checking Cesar's IMDb page, I was surprised to see how few Spanish-language films he made - looks like only two others after this one, Mis secretarias privadas in 1959 and El valle de las espadas (The Castilian) in 1963.

Bob, when will a list of the other films be available?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

The original release was very limited in 3-D and was the only feature of the 1950's boom to use anaglyphic glasses. See myth number one: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths

Our 3-D Blu-ray release will be polarized meaning you must have a 3-D capable display and glasses.

We may also do a red/cyan release down the road but not at this time.
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

We've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to save and restore this rare film. Please share!

El Corazon y la Espada
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Bob,
I was going to suggest you also post your news at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/visual-arts.36/, but see you’ve already done so. Hope you get this one restored.
Bob Furmanek

Post by Bob Furmanek »

Thank you very much!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Bob, my friend Matt Spero showed me the DVD recently - great 3D effects and it was a surprise to hear that Cesar's voice was redubbed. Katy Jurado pretty well runs off with the film but it's great to see the future Joker in a film I didn't know existed. Great job!
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."