Cost-Cutting in Season Two

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

bat-rss

Cost-Cutting in Season Two

Post by bat-rss »

We at TO THE BATPOLES podcast are developing an episode on evidence of cost-cutting during season two. An obvious one is the change in how the "POW!" "SOCK!" fight sounds were shown on the screen.

This is not an easy topic to research outside of simply watching all of season two and trying to spot trends. Do any of you have any observations on season two cost-cutting evidence?
"I'm half-demented with whimsical outrage!"
-- The Joker, in a line cut from "The Joker's Epitaph"
Ben Bentley

Re: Cost-Cutting in Season Two

Post by Ben Bentley »

If you're looking for the visual "in episode" evidence, i'd say that a department by department approach would be a fairly comprehensive way to do it. Post-production (as you mentioned), Art Department and music are a great place to start.

Episode budgets and cost summaries from Dozier's archive are of course quite literally the money-meeting-mouth way to go about quantifying the actual savings being made.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:55 am
Episode budgets and cost summaries from Dozier's archive are of course quite literally the money-meeting-mouth way to go about quantifying the actual savings being made.
Of course! (Slaps forehead) I believe we have a lot of those that you or others have sent us. Will have to look those up. Thanks.
bat-rss

Post by bat-rss »

Er, well, I thought I had some, but I can't seem to locate much budget info in my files...
bat-rss wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 am
Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:55 am
Of course! (Slaps forehead) I believe we have a lot of those that you or others have sent us. Will have to look those up. Thanks.
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

I recall it more in Season Three, but wouldn't be surprised if this also occurred in Season Two, especially later - having secondary henchmen never speak so they only had to be paid as extras.

One obvious example is Surf's Up, in which the one Joker henchman never utters a word, despite fair amount of screen time.
eewdoc

Post by eewdoc »

They spoke when the surfboards Batman and Robin were in were about to explode.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

We start seeing some wardrobe sharing.

One of Blaze's distinctive first season outfits...

Blaze from her False Face episodes by Ian McLean, on Flickr

goes to Okie Annie in the second season.

Okie Annie wears Blaze costume by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Things go further downhill by Season Three. Dr Cassandra's pink and orange outfit was seen on two previous molls, Octavia and Josie, and on a clothing rack as set dressing. Josie even wears the Cassandra's future earrings and tights in another ensemble, Rocket O'Rourke debut's Cassandra's orange ring, and Undine the cane fish purse (later painted orange).

And Ma Parker's distinctive green and blue dress is given to Lola Lasagne.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)