Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Bat Tours: The Bat-Roads

Post by Scott Sebring »

Thank for watching everybody!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for the effort to locate the Bat-Roads, guys. Over the decades, I visited Bronson caves (knowing it was the Batcave entrance / exit), and Griffith Observatory, but I never dreamed the roads used on the series were just around that hill. Crazy.
Beneath Wayne Manor
dell

Post by dell »

Very nice. It's great that you guys are identifying these locations. Looks like the road hasn't seen much maintenance in the last 50 years other than the addition of curbs.
dell
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Thanks for the kind words one and all, we're glad you got a kick out of it, as we sure did!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Thanks Scott and Ben. Research like this is fascinating (with apologies to Mr. Spock). Finding out how everything looks today compared to almost 60 years ago really is a visual sort of time capsule. It's neat that so many locations were actually so close together which makes economic sense from a production value point of view. Still, this reminds me of over in Malibu Creek State Park (or whatever its name is now) where Ape City was on the Crags Road trail fork and then just a few miles further west and then south on the same trail was the outdoor set location for the 4077th a.k.a. M*A*S*H*. I never get tired of this stuff. Thanks again.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Yellow Oval wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:01 pm Still, this reminds me of over in Malibu Creek State Park (or whatever its name is now) where Ape City was on the Crags Road trail fork and then just a few miles further west and then south on the same trail was the outdoor set location for the 4077th a.k.a. M*A*S*H*. I never get tired of this stuff.
Yep, that's still the name of the park. That's also where Sersen Lake (tank) was located, that was used for the Penguin submarine-deck-fight, back when it was still the Fox Ranch before it was sold off to the State of California a decade later in 1976.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Hi, Scott and Ben,

I've been watching those opening-drive segments with new appreciation ever since watching the Bat-Roads video, and I just took note of a sequence I hadn't noticed before. At the beginning of An Egg Grows in Gotham, the latter part of the credits appears over a sequence in which the Batmobile is shot from above. Just before the cutaway to the standard shot of the Batmobile pulling up to GCPD HQ, "CURVE" is seen stenciled on the roadway, in the lane opposite the one in which the Batmobile is traveling. The camera angle makes the road look considerably wider than the one used in the pilot's chase sequence and subsequently recut for the opening shots, but maybe that's just a matter of perspective. Does that look like part of the same section of road you guys hiked? And if so, is does any sign of the "CURVE" marker remain?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Jim Akin wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:34 am Hi, Scott and Ben,

I've been watching those opening-drive segments with new appreciation ever since watching the Bat-Roads video, and I just took note of a sequence I hadn't noticed before. At the beginning of An Egg Grows in Gotham, the latter part of the credits appears over a sequence in which the Batmobile is shot from above. Just before the cutaway to the standard shot of the Batmobile pulling up to GCPD HQ, "CURVE" is seen stenciled on the roadway, in the lane opposite the one in which the Batmobile is traveling. The camera angle makes the road look considerably wider than the one used in the pilot's chase sequence and subsequently recut for the opening shots, but maybe that's just a matter of perspective. Does that look like part of the same section of road you guys hiked? And if so, is does any sign of the "CURVE" marker remain?
Good eye, Jim! So the driving footage you're referring to was shot during the Movie and takes place in a totally different location south of Los Angeles. We spent a ton of time finding and photographing that batch of roads too as part of our ongoing research for our TV Bat-Locations book project. There's the possibility of another video for the "Movie Bat-Roads", but there's a cameo or two that we want to secure if we were to do go ahead and do that! ;)
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Ok, I just saw this here this morning. This put a huge smile on my face. Awesome job putting this all together. Loved it!