RIP Walter Slezak (aka Clock King)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

RIP Walter Slezak (aka Clock King)

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Thirty years ago today, Walter Slezak, who played Clock King during S2, sadly took his own life because of increasing health problems.
Riddlersgurl

Re: RIP Walter Slezak (aka Clock King)

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I always thought that was a shame. He was an excellent character actor. He could take any character that was given him and really breathe life into it.

RIP Walter.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP Clock King.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

George Sanders who was one of the 3 Mr. Freeze's also took his own life due to health issues.
raalongi

Post by raalongi »

Several other actors from Batman also took their own lives. Roger C. Carmel, Doodles Weaver, and Donald (Red) Barry. I know there were a few others which I cannot think of at this time.

And I heard a rumor that Neil Hamilton came very close to committing suicide as well. He was down on his luck and not getting good acting parts. He was a devout Catholic and his faith got him through a very difficult time. His landing the role of the commissioner finally put an end to all of this.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

raalongi wrote:Several other actors from Batman also took their own lives. Roger C. Carmel, Doodles Weaver, and Donald (Red) Barry. I know there were a few others which I cannot think of at this time.
Carmel died of congestive heart failure, although there are some sordid rumors that it was caused by drug abuse--which might be perceived by some to be a form of suicide.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
raalongi wrote:Several other actors from Batman also took their own lives. Roger C. Carmel, Doodles Weaver, and Donald (Red) Barry. I know there were a few others which I cannot think of at this time.
Carmel died of congestive heart failure, although there are some sordid rumors that it was caused by drug abuse--which might be perceived by some to be a form of suicide.

One of Roger C. Carmel's last appearences was an episode of All In The Family. He played an isurance adjuster trying to settle with Archie after a fire in the Bunker's bathroom. Carmel looks noticably thin and not at all healthy.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Here's Carmel in the All in the Family performance:
Attachments
Carmel.jpg
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Oof! He looks gaunt!

Poor guy, I knew that he'd been ill, but I didn't know he'd been THAT ill!
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Think what he'd look like without all that makeup on!!! Sad indeed. This episode of All In The Family (titled "Fire") aired in 1977. His most noteworthy role was on the Desi Arnaz created show "The Mothers-In-Law" which aired in 1967. He had a small role in the 1981 Jerry Lewis film "Hardly Working" in which he again looks thin. He died in November 1986 aged 54.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Drugs (Carmel) and cigs (Gorshin) , pretty much suicides , at least in the long term :cry:
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Mr.Freeze wrote:Drugs (Carmel) and cigs (Gorshin) , pretty much suicides , at least in the long term :cry:
Though Gorshin made it to 72, whereas Carmel only lasted to 54. Below is a picture of Frank's tombstone.
Attachments
Gorshin.jpg
Gorshin.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

I'm surprised there isn't even a small question mark on the stone.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Me too.
High C

Post by High C »

George Sanders committed suicide in April 1972 at age 65. Said he was 'bored' in his suicide note. He was not in good health before he died.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17