In Praise of Aunt Harriet

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

DynamicDestroyer

Re: In Praise of Aunt Harriet

Post by DynamicDestroyer »

I liked Madge Blake fine as a actress but the character of Aunt Harriet was kind of one-dimensional. It's interesting to hear about Madge forgetting her lines from time to time. Whenever I watch "Ring Around the Riddler," I always get the impression that she slipped up on pronouncing Mushy Nebuchadnezzer and improvised with "Nebucha-whos-is" as we see Neil Hamilton turn back to "look at the boxing ring" as if he's really looking back to the director to see if he's going to yell "Cut" or not.
CWA

Post by CWA »

Great find! I had forgotten about this. She is one of the very small handful of people to have been on set with the two classic iconic superheroes.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Just wish the Sandman episodes could have given her and J. Pauline Spaghetti some scenes together. Might have been pretty funny...
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

DynamicDestroyer wrote:I liked Madge Blake fine as a actress but the character of Aunt Harriet was kind of one-dimensional. It's interesting to hear about Madge forgetting her lines from time to time. Whenever I watch "Ring Around the Riddler," I always get the impression that she slipped up on pronouncing Mushy Nebuchadnezzer and improvised with "Nebucha-whos-is" as we see Neil Hamilton turn back to "look at the boxing ring" as if he's really looking back to the director to see if he's going to yell "Cut" or not.

It's no big secret that Neil Hamilton did not like working with Madge Blake and he is doing a very poor job of hiding his disgust in that scene.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Hmm...if Blake annoyed him then can you imagine Hamilton working with Monroe , she'd drive him ballistic :lol: :shock:
jokers moll

Post by jokers moll »

I'll always remember her as gossip columnist Dora Bailey in Singin in the Rain and as the customer in the perfume shop in An American in Paris, two of my favorite movies of all time starring my favorite actor of all time the one and only Gene Kelly.