Characteristics of Robin

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Robin's Girl

Characteristics of Robin

Post by Robin's Girl »

Hello everyone! I'm new to the 66Batman board but have been a 1960's Batman fan for a handful of years, ever since I first saw the movie. I'm in my twenties, so I may be one of the younger people here, but I've seen most of the Batman episodes and am still currently watching it.

Anyway, Robin/Dick is my favorite and I wanted to list characteristics of his personality, both his good qualities and his flaws.

He had virtue and self-restraint. When confronted with women who are enemies, he runs away (leaves) and refuses their advances. For example: After being put through death traps, he tries to escape from Lady Peasoup's girls in their dorm.

The exception, of course, is when's he injected with Marsha's love drug, and the time when he's injected with Catwoman's Cataphrenic and flirts with Pussy Cat. Then he openly fawns or flirts with a woman. Otherwise, he is shy around girls.

He is at times reckless and and impulsive, but he is young and still learning. For example: During a press conference in which Batman and the police are withholding the information that Mr. Freeze is behind recent incidents, Robin blurts out, "Yes, it's very possible that Mr. Freeze is behind it" and Batman reprimands him for making an unfounded public accusation and tells the reporters that Robin's comment is "off the record."

Another example being, in an episode with the Puzzler, Robin accuses a tycoon of making an illegal business venture (sarcastically asking, "You mean honest millions?") and Batman apologizes for his impetuousness. After which Robin defensively replies, "Impetuous and curious!"

Can anyone list any other good qualities or flaws in Robin/Dick? Does anyone have any other examples? I thought this might be an interesting discussion.
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
CWA

Re: Characteristics of Robin

Post by CWA »

Welcome young citizen to the cerebral part of Gotham City. Robin was introduced in the comics as someone the kids can identify with. The 1966 Robin is portrayed similarly and very well by Burt Ward as he is a caricature of an adolescent male at that time. His main strengths result from his testosterone-injected youth and his faults stem from his inexperience. He is courageous, strong-willed, energetic, stubborn, rash, impulsive, impetuous, unbridled and unrestrained. He will all-too-often use his fists before his mouth and the phrase "Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread" sometimes applies to him. He is however, probably the most famous sidekick of all time, as he took a secondary role and proceeded to grab the spotlight more than was planned. His Holys' became such a hugely popular catchphrase that is still used in everyday speech today.
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Thank you, and very good points. I meant that he had self-restraint when it came to dealing with women, though he was always polite and courteous for the most part (unless they were enemies, such as Catwoman). I totally agree that many of his faults come from his inexperience, and that he is unrestrained and will literally jump up to use his fists before thinking it through, so that at times Batman literally must hold him back. He is definitely a teenage boy, and I think Burt Ward portrayed him perfectly. I must say, I've always thought his "holy" puns were both hilarious and awesome. I do sometimes use that catchphrase because it's just fun.
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Robin was smart! Remember, he had a hand in building all of the Bat-devices, computers, scanners, etc. He was also the first one to solve the Riddler's riddles! He was sharp.

He showed more fear than Batman, but wouldn't you if you were suspended over a pit of tigers? :)

Always had the right thing to say at the right time too :) And in the Batman Anniversary episodes, there were some funny Robin moments, like when he got kicked in the shin, and there were funny several funny parts in the scene of the penthouse suite of the South American Dictator. He also got the right rod on the puzzle cage the first time! Impressive. :D

When it came to women, he seemed kinda shy, like in the beginning of the That Darn Catwoman episode when he first meets Pussy Cat. He does always seem very polite!

He also notices Catwoman's and Leg's legs, as mentioned in the Ma Parker episodes. Remember Batman's advice - Always keep your sights raised! Watch the drugstore scene in The Greatest Mother of Them All to see it :)

Gtg but might add more later!
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Yes! Awesome points! I was thinking about how shy he was when first meeting Pussy Cat. I remember him noticing Leg's legs, but not Catwoman's legs LOL. I will have to re-watch that episode or scene, haha.

He is really smart too, but I hadn't even thought about that. Yeah, there were a few times when he and Batman were in a deathtrap and Robin looked really scared, and even one time he admitted to Batman that he was.

I'll have to re-watch the Batman Anniversary episodes too. There are several funny parts of Robin in many of the episodes, especially during the fight scenes. I found it pretty funny when, in one episode, the Mad Hatter was stealing one of Batman's cowls and when Robin tried to stop him, he kicked Robin in the foot or leg and Robin yelled "OOH!" and jumped away.

Please do add more sometime if you want, I like what you have to say because you have interesting points that I didn't think about. :)
dell

Post by dell »

I am surprised no one mentioned that he was loyal. I don't think anyone could expect to have someone more loyal than Robin.
dell
CWA

Post by CWA »

Batfan66, how could I forget that it was his ability to solve puzzles that earned him the "Wonder" in "Robin, the Boy Wonder" ?
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

You're right! I suppose I overlooked that. Robin was very loyal, to Batman, and to Aunt Harriet. I love his loyalty, I don't know how I overlooked that quality of his. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Hi again Robin's Girl! Here are some more thoughts on Robin :D Hope you like them!

Robin was also 110% devoted to fighting crime, completely dedicated! Even to the point of messing up his date to meet Bruce at Wayne Manor in the beginning of the first Chandel episode. Poor kid, he seemed to really like that girl :)

He didn't complain! He'd say sometimes that 'that was smarts!', but he was always a good sport!

Robin obviously loved what he did, but he was always just so enthusiastic and ready to rid Gotham City of evil that I had to touch bases on it!

Being Batman's partner in crime-fighting, he was exposed to the same amount of peril and harm that Batman, a grown man was, and I think he handled it well considering he was a teenager.

Robin at times was a bit too ready to go after the bad-guys when there was citizen safety to consider....

It was always amusing how he found school work kind of dull, with having to learn French, Greek, Algebra, etc. It is especially funny at the end of the Riddler episode 'When the Rat's Away, the Mice Will Play' where he gets stuck doing his Algebra cause he used it as an excuse :D

He always had more to learn, from looking both ways from crossing a street, to wearing a seatbelt, and to putting a quarter in a parking meter - after all, that quarter goes towards building better roads!

Got to go, but might post another reply some time soon - this is fun!
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I can sympathise with him having to learn Algebra. I HATE Algebra! Both now and waaaay back in High School.

Did ANYONE like learning that garbage? Aside from those that LIKED math that is.

And the thing is? We don't use it in real life!!!! So WHY DID WE HAVE TO LEARN THAT JUNK?
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Haha, again, very good points! :) Robin was sometimes a bit reckless when it came to citizen safety, and Batman would often have to remind him "citizen safety first." Another thing about all the various subjects and languages he learned in school - some of that information did come in handy in solving crimes and setting up the bad guys. Batman would often ask Robin about what he'd learned recently in school, and Robin would use it to solve something or help in catching the bad guys. It was sometimes silly, but the TV series "Batman" is an exception for random subjects learned in school being useful in "real life."
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

For a kid who saw his family killed in front of him, survived that, and was rescued by a man who dressed as a bat to conceal his identity, Dick and Robin were certainly really nice kids, as long as you were on the right side of the law, that is.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Robin's Girl wrote:Haha, again, very good points! :) Robin was sometimes a bit reckless when it came to citizen safety, and Batman would often have to remind him "citizen safety first."
Batman only has himself to blame. :lol: Remember Robin using the Bat bazooka against the Penguin's tank--on the populated streets of Gotham City? Batman authorized that rather dangerous attack.

In the movie, Batman lands the Batcopter on a pile of foam rubber, but at the rate of descent, he could not guarantee the 'copter would not crush a nearby onlooker, or the propeller hit a building, with its loose parts flying like spears into the city crowds.

How about the book bomb shot into the air by the Batmobile ejector? Batman did not know if shrapnel would fly into nearby office windows, or the force send windows into innocents like bullets.

Its no wonder Robin could be reckless from time to time! :shock: :)
Beneath Wayne Manor