Suggestions for my Fan Fiction

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Robin's Girl

Suggestions for my Fan Fiction

Post by Robin's Girl »

Hello, as I love to write, I'm working on writing Batman and Robin fan fiction, just for personal enjoyment. I'm following the show for the most part, using the main characters: Besides Bruce/Batman and Dick/Robin, Aunt Harriet, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, and Chief O'Hara, and who I consider the main villains, being Julie Newmar's Catwoman, Frank Gorshin's Riddler, Joker, and Penguin, and perhaps a few others along with a couple I might make up myself.

I do want to change a few things in that I want to progress a bit beyond the show by placing Dick in college, and giving him a love interest who becomes the first girl he's ever been really serious about. The college issues is a bit tricky, though. The norm would be to send him off to college to live in the dormitory, as a 'normal' college experience, but I've scratched this out as sharing a dorm and being surrounded by so many other young people would make it nearly impossible for Dick to keep his crime fighting identity a secret. The next option would be to give him an apartment of his own, and although I sort of like this idea, I don't want to lose the utility of the batpoles, the batmobile, the batcave, and Aunt Harriet's normal presence in their daily lives. So, I've decided, though it goes against traditional college experience and norm, to keep Dick at Wayne Manor with Bruce for the time being. I'm not sure how to explain this other than it keeps the Dynamic Duo together.

As for Dick in college, he was always involved in extracurricular activities in high school, such as trying out for the school band, the play, etc. So I think he wouldn't be much busier in college or have much less time for crime fighting other than the larger amount of homework and the difficulty of not being able to 'skip' so many classes before failing (whereas in high school he could easily fake a 'headache' in order to leave to help Batman find the Joker), unless of course he only went to school part-time, instead of full-time. I also don't want to make him a freshman, he's going to be a bit older in that he's gotten the routine down. I'm going to make his life complicated by the girl (love interest) whom he first meets as Robin.

What I would like suggestions on is what to give Dick for a major/degree in which to pursue. I see Dick as trying out a variety of areas as he did in high school activities. But would perhaps something like criminology fit him, or is he already enough of an expert in that field? Maybe some other sort of sciences, maybe computer sciences? He's already intelligent in so many fields like these, I'm not sure what I would see as fitting or logical for him to pursue. What do you see him pursuing or what makes sense to you?

Also, as far as plots of typical Batman adventures, I may follow some of the episodes somewhat but give them different twists. But I am open to more suggestions for plots / story lines. I plan to write it as a series of short stories, sort of like episodes in the show.

*I've already began writing the first short story, or 'episode' so to speak. But I'm still in the beginning of it. :)
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
clavierankh

Re: Suggestions for my Fan Fiction

Post by clavierankh »

You would lose the utility of the Batpoles but.. How about sending Dick of to school and Bruce comes to visit and they become involved in adventure in a town other than Gotham. Dick might be able to take the lead on some things because he knows the town better than Bruce.

I think the comics had Dik go off to college and become invovled in solo adventures. I think he eventually change his identity to Nightwing.

Look forward to seeing your efforts. The people here have been kind to my offerings.
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Thank you, that is a good suggestion. But I plan to send Dick to Gotham City University, as in the show. I'm not familiar with the comics, except I do know he eventually becomes Nightwing, but I'm going to stay with following the show. However, as Dick will be slightly older, I just might implement the idea of him taking the lead on some things, that would be an interesting thing to do. :)
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I would include a Batman 1966 Topps Card Villainess,The Sea Hag, and a 1966 Batman Topps Card Villain, The Tiger Shark. Just a suggestion.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Didn't Bruce have a penthouse in the city, with it's own mini-batcave? Plus utility poles or an elevator?

Dick could stay there, or he could live in the carriage house on the grounds, which would have it's own access to the cave, i.e. trapdoor with chute, or a tunnel with a mine car that goes straight there.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Well Citizens,

The idea of following Robin's crime fighting career as he goes to college is interesting.

Seem to recall Bruce Wayne having a "seldom used apartment" in Gotham City for some reason. I also like the idea of Grayson riding a mine car from some remote part of the Wayne Manor grounds to the Batcave.

It will also be interesting to see how villains react to him without Batman. Catwoman, for example can finally try to rid herself of the annoying brat without having to worry about Batman's immediate reaction. Alternatively, her protege', Pussycat, would be unlikely to associate the college-age Boy Wonder with the young fellow who often made her think, "Holy Annoyying Little Twerp!"

Can't wait to see what the kittenish crooks cook up to confound our boy.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent ideas.
Dynamic Duo

Post by Dynamic Duo »

I would like to think of Dick Grayson as never having left stately Wayne Manor, aunt Harriet, or poor old Alfred!
Having him commute on a daily basis to Gotham City U would allow your writing to involve more solo Batman capers and tight squeezes, and the ancillary characters which have never been fully utilized, more involved in your creative plot lines...i.e. having Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara in some harrowing situations, where Batman arrives to bail them out..and Robin must find a way to assist them while he's in the middle of a class? It's your imagination...run with it!
"Atomic batteries to power...Turbines to speed...."
"Roger...ready to move out!"
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

That's exactly what I was thinking. Having Batman/Bruce trying to get a hold of Dick or needing Robin's help while Dick is in the middle of class. Maybe something similar to the situation from the episode in which Dick is on a date and Bruce contacts him via a "blinking" textbook. ;) And I agree completely. My main question now, though, is what would be a good or fitting degree for Dick to pursue in college? I'd appreciate any ideas. And thanks again. :)
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

I like the idea of Bruce trying to contact him while in class too!
And maybe a degree as a detective or private investigator(he has to act the part as a rank beginner), a geologist (good excuse to be gone a lot, a cover for the secret crime fighting life), an engineer, chemist, computer science, any career involving travel(?), a precious stone or metal expert, lawyer, photography (get to be gone a lot, another good one. Say he gets a case as a detective or PI, and needs a cover. Just say going to 'location' for next photography shoot. If you want to keep it under wraps, of course.) Also, try to think of careers that require skill such as what he learned from Batman, or perhaps he pursues Bruce Wayne's interest in foundation work, and charity, and organizations, and helping people. Much to consider!
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

I was considering something like computer science, and I want Dick to go in his own direction, and all your suggestions are interesting, though I do really like the idea of Dick eventually doing his own charity work or starting his own foundation/organization, so maybe he could also minor in business in order to take the needed classes that would assist him in that sort of work. So, thank you! Batfan 66, you've given me some creative ideas to think about. :)
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I can imagine Dick Grayson learning to be a businessman or pursuing something related to athletics to capitalize on his circus background. The show stressed foreign languages, which would be beneficial. I can imagine him pursuing geology to get into energy or environmental science because he spent a great deal of time as youth bird watching and fishing.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Athletics, foreign languages, environmental science - I love all these. I'm going to have such a hard time choosing. :lol: Perhaps I should make a poll? To help me decide and see what others think. And thank you. :D
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

I just wanted to say that I've decided on both a major and a minor for Dick (he's gonna be busy, lol) for my fanfiction, and again I wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed feedback, suggestions, and comments in this thread. It really helped me and I really appreciate it. :D So, thank you.