Question about The Purrfect Crime/Better Luck Next Time

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Batfan 66

Question about The Purrfect Crime/Better Luck Next Time

Post by Batfan 66 »

I was wondering if anyone would be able to confirm if the tigers used in Robin's Deathtrap were really below him, or just taped separately and then added in accordingly. I read something that suggested that they really were below him, and although ten feet below, almost took a chunk out of him. Can someone please clarify? Much appreciated :D
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Mark Racop

Re: Question about The Purrfect Crime/Better Luck Next Time

Post by Mark Racop »

It has been reported that real tigers were on set with Burt Ward/Robin and that things were very dangerous, but my filmmaking background tells me differently: it sure looks like a rear screen projection.

Now Batman with the tiger? That's a different story. I'm certain it wasn't Adam (probably Hubie), but someone in a Batsuit was on set with Tinkerbell...
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Mark Racop wrote: Now Batman with the tiger? That's a different story. I'm certain it wasn't Adam (probably Hubie), but someone in a Batsuit was on set with Tinkerbell...
I remember Scott posting about this about a year or so ago. He showed frame by frame pictures of the scene from the end of #19 where the "same cat-time" bit happens. You wouldn't notice it by watching it but with a screengrab you could see it was actually underneath a table in the shot as the tiger jumps? Really hard to explain, I can't really remember the whole story behind it too well. I hope Scott will come across this and clarify, as I have tried searching through the old forum but can't find it...

Either that or my mind has gone wild ha!
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Thanks you guys! :D Yes, hopefully Scott can clarify this for all of us, he was really helpful on another topic I made about the batfights. ;)
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

What I posted a long time ago (originally in 2004 on the very first board) was pictures of the "Not so Purrfect Crime" that illustrated some continuity shots and things that went so fast on screen you might not have seen them. But I dug up the old files again.

First thing's first. Was Burt suspended over tigers? I believe he was because the Viewmaster people were on set to take stereoscopic pictures for the Viewmaster reel and used this one in the final product. The set up and lighting doesn't resemble any back screen or floor screen effect from this viewpoint. Also, if you happen to have a Viewmaster handy to view this shot, the tigers and pit have a depth that would not be possible from a screen projected image. Of course, this is speculation and observation on my part. Besides they already rented at least one tiger. Why let it go to waste?

The leaping tiger and table is revealed in this sequence:

And now for the continuity stuff:
They drop down the trap door in this order L to R
And land is this order L to R

The tiger takes a swipe at Batman's cape while he climbs the walls. But apparently it was a stunt paw.

And the amazing expanding utility belt pouches in the final cave chase scene:

Fun stuff .
logar2

Post by logar2 »

I think the tiger jump shot can be easily explained. It seems that they wanted to get a dramatic shot of the tiger jumping over the camera and positioning the camera at a low angle would provide the best result. They didn't want the tiger to jump on the camera so they positioned it, more than likely unmanned, under the table so it would jump over it and land on the table. This way neither tiger, camera nor camera operator would be harmed or at any risk. Also, thanks for the great screen grabs Scott.
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

thanks for all of the input everyone, especially Scott; your reply was really helpful! I guess they really did use real tigers below Robin! :D Thank you for your effort Scott, and everybody else, this is the best board ever!!!
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

Hey Scott,
I love your new avatar! Is that a custom made Bat keyboard?

Jim K
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

The swipe at batman's cape was kind of a clumsy error/goof :D Thanks again Scott!
Titianhairedwench

Post by Titianhairedwench »

LOL at the stunt paw comment! :lol:

I remember the trap door error. It really caught my attention. :)
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Jim K, Bat fan wrote:Hey Scott,
I love your new avatar! Is that a custom made Bat keyboard?

Jim K
Thanks,
Yes it is. Not to derail the topic, I'll just give you the link about it here:

http://www.scottsebring.com/?p=845
66wasbest

Post by 66wasbest »

I always wondered why they didn't show Batman and Robin carrying Leo away in handcuffs out of the cave in the end.I'm guessing he was still unconscious and they figured they'd let the police take him away.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Aahh... Gotta love those amazing expanding utility belt pouches! They can be quite useful for pesky things like oversized batarangs and the like. Now, anyone care to guess the trick for the Batshield? :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Yellow Oval wrote:Aahh... Gotta love those amazing expanding utility belt pouches! They can be quite useful for pesky things like oversized batarangs and the like. Now, anyone care to guess the trick for the Batshield? :lol:

How about the Bat Creeper in Funny Feline Felonies. It was under the commissioner's desk.
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Yes, the bat-shield seemed to have special disappearing abilities! :D LOL I watch closely every time they have it out, its funny. ;)