Batman Behind the Scenes

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

jokers moll

Batman Behind the Scenes

Post by jokers moll »

Found this on Youtube and thought it was pretty cool. It's a special from the 60s about the show including behind the scenes footage and an interview with Mr. Dozier. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY283s5pdHc
High C

Re: Batman Behind the Scenes

Post by High C »

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I had never before seen an interview with Ann Rutherford, Dozier's wife.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

I love this. I think there was a link to a lower-quality version of this segment on David Sutton's original 1966 Batman fan site.

Maybe I just never noticed it before, or perhaps it wasn't legible in that older clip, but I like the "U.S. and Canada Crime Computer" label in the Batcave. Was that used in an actual episode, or might it have been placed there for the benefit of the Canada-produced Telescope show?

Cheers,

QQ
High C

Post by High C »

Some comments on what was an episode of 'Telescope,' a Canadian show I had never heard of until today!

1. The dais on the Fox lot for the welcoming of Prince Philip was interesting. Glynis Johns, the future Lady Peasoup and Anne Francis were among those there, which again makes me wish Anne had played Marsha. Could have brought something very interesting to the table.

2. Was fun to see Dozier's wife, Ann Rutherford, being interviewed. Would have liked to have seen a longer talk with her. Obviously, she knew the business being an actress.

3. Was fascinating seeing the dress rehearsal with Joker’s off-screen line being read by the ‘script girl.’ Wonder if she did it for the real thing and they simply dubbed him in later. Also, reminds me of Joan Collins [and I know her memory of those days can be a little faulty] saying she would say ‘Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh’ in lieu of the dubbed note as Siren.

4. Dozier obviously changed his tune about having ‘comedians’ on as villains, unfortunately.

5. It was fascinating hearing him talk up his version of Wonder Woman, which never got past the pilot stage. Kinda shows, IMO, how he was riding the wave of Batman and he thought it wouldn’t end.

6. Odd that Catwoman and Julie were not mentioned. I guess her first ep hadn't aired by that time. They were filming the Joker 'Maharajah' eps and the King Tut eps.

The behind the scenes show definitely gives one a sense of what it was like at that time, although I wish Adam and Burt had been interviewed.

Still, a terrific find!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

High C wrote:The behind the scenes show definitely gives one a sense of what it was like at that time, although I wish Adam and Burt had been interviewed.

Still, a terrific find!
Well i'm not sure if it had anything to do with telescope's behind the scenes show on the series. But i do remember seeing an on set interview with Adam West, that was taking place during the filming of a King Tut episode. Sadly i cannot remember the name of the actual video and it no longer shows up on my list of video's that i have watched on YouTube.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I couldn't help but chuckle at how Dozier talked of how hard it was to get old comic books for research because they cost "three to four dollars."

Also, I think Dozier tipped the biggest flaw in his approach to the series by stressing too much the idea that the show was supposed to be funny, even if not in terms of broad mugging, he still saw it as comedy before light-hearted action, which IMO was the tone he should have aimed more for in which the humor was kept more in check to a throwaway fashion.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Looks like the take they showed being filmed in the documentary isn't the one that was used. In the finished episode Batman says "A small recording machine..." and in the CBC footage he says "A small recorder...". Robin (finished ep): "Play it, Batman!"/(CBC): "Let's play the tape, Batman!"

If you "A/B" the two takes, it seems the most noticeable difference is that Burt's line readings are just a little toned down compared to the CBC version; also Batman's cape is down over his right side.
And it takes him two tries to shut off the tape recorder... :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Thanks for sharing this, very cool!
If only we could see a behind the scenes shot of Adam and Burt losing it with laughter because of the script! I think one time they had to redo a shot 10 times cause they kept laughing!
Again, thx for posting :D
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Yep, I've had this available for viewing on my batfriend.com site for years. Great footage.
http://www.batfriend.com/batscope.htm
High C

Post by High C »

Scott Sebring wrote:Yep, I've had this available for viewing on my batfriend.com site for years. Great footage.
http://www.batfriend.com/batscope.htm
I haven't gone to your site as much as I should, Scott. Just did so now and--wow. Writer Max Hodge's notes on his adaptation of Mr. Zero from the comics to Mr. Freeze on the show [in the Articles section] are quite interesting and a fascinating BTS look at how much pressure there was on the writers to creat scripts quickly. Very enlightening. Thanks!