Need help for MY fanfic

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Riddlersgurl

Re: Need help for MY fanfic

Post by Riddlersgurl »

This really wouldn't make a good episode, on account of the fact that it won't be rated 'G'.

It's going to be a fanfic, hopefully a long one.

I just have to think of a good ending. One where Steffi and her mother are reunited with their fathers, Steffi gets a boatload of reward money for all of the stolen stuff she bagged from the other villains, Robin finds out the hard way that girls hit REALLY hard, and Batman is starting to feel superfluous.

There will be a sequel, where the Riddler starts dating Barbara Gordon of all people.

Magda will have died in the interim, and now he's going to have to deal with a temperamental teenaged daughter, and will have no clue as to how to do so. He's grieving, she's grieving, the Joker's grieving, and he's at his wit's end.
Batfan 66

Post by Batfan 66 »

Wow....intense!
Lol at Robin :D
looks like you're on a roll Riddlersgurl, have you started writing it yet?
Has the whole world gone batty!?!?
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.Excellent,Riddlersgurl.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I want to get all the details cemented before I start writing it.

That's why I want to hear from everyone here; what do THEY want to see in a fanfic.

For one thing, I need to know what kinds of items that Steffi can boost from the other villains from under their noses; how she can get into and out of their bases of operation without so much as a nosebleed or a scratch (these people are paranoid as all heck, so their security is going to be tight.)

As for both Riddler and Joker, what sort of item could she steal from them? It would have to be something that they BOTH have a hold on, and aren't willing to let go of. She would have to be able to infiltrate their hideouts, on two different occasions, without either of them finding out that the item is missing until their return to the cops is on the news.

I already know that they are both going to be ROYALLY upset at being taken, and when they find out that it was by a teenager and her group of runaways, throwaways, and general misfits, they will literally blow their stacks.

Mind you, neither of the men in question trust each other as far as one can throw the other. They only worked together that ONE time, and the whole operation fell on its face. Joker and Riddler really can't abide each other.

Magdalena is thought to be dead by the two of them, so they don't really have even that in common anymore. And once they find out that she's still alive (although incapacitated due to the spinal injury), neither of them is going to be happy that she ran away the way that she did, and kept the knowledge of Steffi's existence from them.

Ed would have married her, even if he could only have done it in a prison chapel, and Joker, at that time spoiled his grandchildren rotten.

She took that choice away from them, and the knowledge of that is really going to hurt for the two of them.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

RG,

It doesn't sound like your idea fits well into the format of he series. You know half hour, cliff hanger , resolution.

That;s Okay though. I would write it like you're doing a Batman 66 movie. That gives you a longer form and big budget.

As for who to play the Trickster. If this is supposed to be after the third season, 1968, may I suggest Angela Cartwright. She was 17 but they often hire juvenile actors who are slightly older then parts they play.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

My two cents but since you asked.

A little too; thought dead, betrayal and backstabbing for me. Sounds more like "Game of Thrones" meets Batman (first impression). Other than the included Batman characters, it lacks a Batman feel.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Now that I really thing about it, you're right Scott.

I'm going for too much drama (and to think that I DESPISE 'Game of Thrones').

Soooo, how to keep it lighthearted and within the spirit of the series?

I suppose that I could write it that Ed and Magdalena were married very young, and after Steffi was born, decided to divorce amicably before the resentment set in. She took the baby to California or New York (take your pick), and he stayed in Gotham.

I still like the idea of Magdalena bankrolling her daughter's activities, even if I don't use the idea of the foster kids.

Now, how the heck to write a Batfight where Riddler, Joker, their respective gangs, Batman, Robin, and Trickster are all having a throwdown without anyone really being hurt.

Along with a good Battrap where Riddler and Joker not only have Batman and Robin, they also have Trickster (because they don't know who she is at this point. Otherwise, she'd be wrapped in duct tape and thrown over a goon's shoulder for easy transport.)

Should she reveal who she is while she's in the Battrap, or wait until she and the Dynamic Duo get out of it? It'll shock the heck out of B&R, as Steffi is the LAST person they'd suspect of being the Trickster.
bat lugosi

Post by bat lugosi »

Hey Riddlersgurl,

I'm impressed with your fanfic ideas, sounds like a lot of fun and you are very smart to cement all of the ideas first.

I have been struggling with telling my own Batman fanfic for a few years so I'll let you in on what is helping me but keep in mind this is just my opinion.

1. If possible cut down on characters, even if it's just one character, it might be difficult to let go but it will help streamline your story.

2. If your trying to give roughly the same feel of the show but don't want to give up any subplots I would suggest making this a 3 part special, or maybe make it a film script and give it a movie feel which might help with the scope you have ( I'm doing a little bit of both for my fanfic, of course I'm not a film maker but I would like to turn it into a graphic novel )

3. Find the heart of the story and concentrate on that, it will help make it a little more lighthearted.

4. If you try the 3 part special format you may be able to save the backstabbing and betrayal to fit into the cliffhangers or perhaps you might want to go with a 3 act structure and have the second part as your Empire Strikes Back and put all the darkest elements into that part.

I Hope that helps, just suggestions from someone else trying to create his own fanfic.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

That might help. Thank you.
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Riddlersgurl, I am blown away by all of your ideas. I do agree with Scott on it sounding more dramatic than lighthearted Batman, but you could place a little bit of humor throughout to help remedy that. I also agree with the 'married young, divorced amicably' idea, as that does seem a bit more fitting, although they don't necessarily have to divorce amicably but perhaps without it being so 'ugly' or drama-filled.

I am a bit confused as to the familial relations between the Riddler and the Joker, but I think that is simply because I need to go back and read your post more carefully. I also think that the particular idea of the familial connections between the two arch villains, while definitely adding creativity and drama, somewhat detracts from the lightheartedness or 'campiness' of Batman; but since this idea is the basis for your plot, I'm simply pointing it out as constructive criticism and not to 'put down' your brilliant ideas. I think taking out the 'foster kids' idea would help lose the 'Games of Thrones' feel.

Now the idea of no one really getting hurt in such an involved bat fight is definitely trickier, unless perhaps no one really knew who to fight. For example, the henchmen fight Batman and Robin and vice versa, but no one is sure what to do about the Trickster. Perhaps because they don't really know whose side she's on. Just a few thoughts. I am interested in your fanfic and look forward to hearing more of your ideas for it. :)
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

To simplify:

Joker is Magdalena's father, Steffi's grandfather and Riddler's father-in-law.

The family connection won't really come out until after Trickster gets out of the Battrap along with B&R.

Magdalena is the one with the funny lines, while Steffi is more of a straight girl.
bat lugosi

Post by bat lugosi »

Not a problem, I think you have something great here so I would suggest you keep at it.

I actually like the drama, but as Robin's Girl pointed out you could remedy that with humor, and IMO finding the heart of it will help lighten things up.

I wouldn't neglect the feel of the show but I think it's fine to give it your own spin, It's your take on the show. Think of it this way, all three seasons have a slightly different tone right?

Best of luck!
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I want to get away with the campy/stupid feeling of the third season altogether, and make it more like the scripts in the first season, an even mix of drama, comedy and action.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Hey RG,

It sounds like Joker and Riddler will be held back, perhaps until after this Bat-trap for our heroes and Trickster.

It might help to answer some of your questions if we knew whom Trickster would first victimize. I would imagine she would have her followers watch the hideout to find means of entry and escape, perhaps small avenues the adults would not consider.

Finally, about this big fight, girls didn't do much fighting in the show. Will Trickster participate or watch and get captured after the villain incapacitates our heroes. Trickster might get caught up in the gas attack or whatever captures them and be being bumped off simply to avoid having a witness.

I'd hold back the reveal of Trickster's family history as long as possible to maximize the dramatic impact, after all, it is the real departure from the show format.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Just because girls didn't do a lot of fighting in the series, it didn't mean they weren't capable of it. After all, Anna Gram kicked Robin in the shin when she was being taken away by the police.

And yes, the big reveal to the other people in the story will take place at the end. Those reading it will know it ahead of time.

Trickster will go after a couple of goons, but not lay a hand on either her father or grandfather. She may even take a swipe at Robin (because she thinks he's an annoying, preachy twerp.) One of the goons hits her by accident, and she goes after him instead!

She, Batman and Robin all get gassed and wake up in the Battrap.

Now, could someone give me an idea as to what the heck it should be??? I'm pants at coming up with traps.