SPOILERS: Just Read Batman 66 Comic #1-Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Re: SPOILERS: Just Read Batman 66 Comic #1-Discussion Thread

Post by AndyFish »

Issue #4 is on sale today in the digital store, for those of you that didn't like Jonathan Case's art on the title Ty Templeton takes over with a much more traditional art style. It's good, but I prefer the unusual coloring technique Case was using to make it feel like the wild colors of the TV show over this which has very solid art but the coloring is kind of flat.

Still, a good "episode" this time featuring The Penguin and Mr. Freeze.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Looking forward to it.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I just spun thru that new issue #4, and from what I see, they put the black back into the front of Batman's cowl. (Not in the cover image, but the interior artwork.)

I wonder if that's the way these particular artists originally designed this one, or the black was added after people mentioned missing the black in the previous issue?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Due to production lead time it's definitely artist choice. I only learned the front was black when I bought my first repro cowl, I'd always thought it was one solid color.
Mr Templeton is a big fan of the series, and I believe a lurker here, so he would know it's black.
High C

Post by High C »

AndyFish wrote:Issue #4 is on sale today in the digital store, for those of you that didn't like Jonathan Case's art on the title Ty Templeton takes over with a much more traditional art style. It's good, but I prefer the unusual coloring technique Case was using to make it feel like the wild colors of the TV show over this which has very solid art but the coloring is kind of flat.

Still, a good "episode" this time featuring The Penguin and Mr. Freeze.
Interesting info. I finally got the print edition Tuesday. The owner of the store said it was his last copy, so it sold well with him. But besides having new comics, his shop seems to cater to Golden and Silver Age fans, so perhaps they are more predisposed to liking this version of Bats.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

IS there a way to download the digital comic as opposed to reading it online?
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

"Is there a way to download the digital comic as opposed to reading it online"

I use my iPad to access my Comixology account. Once it's downloaded into there I can read it anytime even when I'm not online.
Must admit I haven't tried it on a PC or Laptop. I know it works on mobile phone apps.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yup comixology downloads it into your account which you can then read on your tablet, phone or whatever you've put the app on.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

#5 is out digitally today, and I've already read it.
It feels like a third season episode and not one of the good ones, it ends up being.a pretty simple story with little depth and I'm afraid that's the direction this is heading. I was hoping we would get more respect for the source material but unfortunately it reads like any of the other Johnny DC titles which are geared for all ages , which is just another way of saying for kids.

A shame, really. There was legitimate drama when the show was done right. Violence when it was needed, Molly terrible demise, the two gunmen shooting each other in the Zelda episode, those were moments that gave the show gravitas and not the light weight look how silly this is majority of the third season episodes.

I almost didn't buy this one because the art is not interesting enough for me, we will see who has the next arc.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I was surprised this was only two chapters when the first was three. I think that accounts for the third season feeling.

The team up made sense here. Using Penguin''s scheme and Mr. Freeze's freeze weapons. One basic problem with the scheme. Even if Penguinia is a sovereign country it is in U.S. territorial water. Blocking shipping there is an act of a war. A bunker buster or two would have reduced the ice berg to ice cubes.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

And that's lazy storytelling-- regardless of the ridiculousness of the '66 show it worked best when the writers respected the audience-- something that didn't happen with the basic premise of this adventure.

I wish Jeff Parker (the writer) had been told which episodes to watch, which I understand would be based soley on taste-- but I think the best episodes stayed within the parameters of established "reality".

It's lazy storytelling when Batman pulls out shark repellent during the surfing contest and we never even see the shark. It's lazy storytelling when the Bat computer solves the entire mystery simply because it can. And that is the worst part of the worst episodes.

As a writers bible for the book, I'd suggest he stick to a few episodes for style and tone:
The pilot, first Penguin, first Joker, first Catwoman, False Face, First Mr Freeze-- all of these (okay Freeze pushes it with the thermal bat underwear) are solid episodes that actually have a plot to them.

THAT is the level of storytelling I want this book to be. I want more than just '66 Batman stories-- I want GOOD '66 Batman stories.
batfan67

Post by batfan67 »

I did get a chuckle when the henchman brought Batman's Utility Belt to the Penguin and Mr Freeze said 'Good so many forget to do that'.

Mike
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

My local comic shop does not carry this. Oh, they have the new 52, but not this--and they have no intentions of ordering any copies. Amazon, here I come.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

Batguitarist wrote:My local comic shop does not carry this. Oh, they have the new 52, but not this--and they have no intentions of ordering any copies. Amazon, here I come.

John
I'm lucky in that I found a somewhat nearby shop that specializes in Golden and Silver Age comics, so they are ordering this because they know their clientele is into it. And as I noted before, they sold out the first print issue .
clavierankh wrote:I was surprised this was only two chapters when the first was three. I think that accounts for the third season feeling.

The team up made sense here. Using Penguin''s scheme and Mr. Freeze's freeze weapons. One basic problem with the scheme. Even if Penguinia is a sovereign country it is in U.S. territorial water. Blocking shipping there is an act of a war. A bunker buster or two would have reduced the ice berg to ice cubes.

Agree with all your comments there.

I noticed the teaser said 'NEXT WEEK: CHANDELL'S CHANTEUSE!'

I wonder if it's a Chandell/Siren teamup. Teaming two musical villains would make sense, but would be kind of unoriginal, I think. We shall see.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I was surprised Chandell is coming back. I considered him a one shot who was reformed at the end.