SPOILERS: Just Read Batman 66 Comic #1-Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

sullydude

Re: SPOILERS: Just Read Batman 66 Comic #1-Discussion Thread

Post by sullydude »

I really want to enjoy this comic series, and it does have so much going for it. I can overlook nitpicky things like not being able to draw the likeness of certain actors if they don't have the rights, but violating the series established rules or conventions is a bit jarring.
For instance, its United World Organization, not UN. Also, I don't remember which Mr Freeze episode it was that he clogged Gotham Harbor with Icebergs, so one floating and movable ice berg shouldn't be a problem for the ship captains. Also, the way the ice berg moved, with a trailing Penguin submarine makes no sense.
The last sequence with Chandell and Siren just felt, eh...the art while good could be more inspired.
Like Andy said, the really need to raise the bar on the scripting, or I don't see this lasting long term.
Sad actually.
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

I agree. It's a complete letdown.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

There's another thread on Chapter Six with Chandell and the Siren so I'll leave that be.
Chapter Seven is out today and this time it's The Joker! They are bringing in comics continuity with this issue, the villain The Red Hood makes his first appearance, longtime fans will know who he turns out to be but we will see if that's the case with this title.

We also get to see Arkham Asylum and Doctor Quinn, who will likely become Harley Quinn. Guest appearances by Shame, Egghead and The Riddler to. New artist on this arc takes care of the black of the cowl but leaves Batman's eyes white as they are in the comics, but for this series looks strange.

the best part for me was Cesar's Joker, complete with moustache, he was slightly out of character, a bit more 60s comic Joker rather than TV Joker but overall not a bad issue.

I still would like to see these with some depth, subplots and character dimension. Just because you're writing a retro book doesn't mean it shouldn't be written with respect for development and depth of storytelling.

Unfortunately the writers and the editors are producing the parody version of the series, which the show eventually devolved into, rather than the earlier episodes that adhered to a strict camp policy, which is different than parody.

Lorenzo should have been consulted on this.
sullydude

Post by sullydude »

Well, I've read the latest Batman '66, and I've tried to enjoy it, but they really missed with this version of Joker.
Yes, he has the mustache, but they have missed the Ceasar!
The story is lame to say the least, with no compelling issue for the Joker, Batman has no conflict, and just a blah feeling left over.
The art is not even on the nose, it's close enough to make an impression of the show but off by too much to be enjoyable.
When this series started, I thought the writer was going to do a great job, however, having seen three sequences now, I feel this is really a miss. They are telling Batman stories, as much as a pastiche of our show and just throwing bits on the wall none of which makes an enjoyable mix.
I have to wonder why?
I remember Andy posting some ideas of a potential 4th season, and those were so much better than what we've gotten from this series. I am afraid I've bought my last edition of this comic.
I will enjoy the Mattel figures and such, but I'm bowing out of this comic.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Heh. It kind'a sounds to me, after reading several of the posts here, that the Brave & Bold cartoon that ended a couple of years ago has a better handle on the '60's characters than the comicbook creators.

I kind'a like The Joker being a bad guy without The Red Hood, and I'd rather see the '60's cartoons and the bad guys there introduced into the series, like Simon The Pieman, rather than Harley Quinn.

Ah, well. At least we still have reruns to enjoy. :)
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I picked up issue 2 today and I may be enjoying it more than some here. The Penguin/Mister Freeze team up makes more sense to me than the Riddle pointing to Catwoman in the first issue. I grant Penguin’s central plot is ridiculous, but within its context makes sense.

I’ve read about referring to the UN rather than the United World Organization. I think this choice may have been made for readers who did not grow up watching the show, or movie in this case, and would be more familiar with the real world organization. Alternatively, because of the disarray in which the United World Organization was left after the restoration of their voices, the nations of the world may have started over.

I had an idea about how Penguin’s plot to seal Gotham Harbor with a single iceberg could work. In the film, when our heroes were chasing the villains as they tried to escape in their sub, everyone was concerned about the tides around Short Island Sound. If Penguin’s iceberg was positioned there, he might block shipping.

Chief O’Hara’s idea of turning the iceberg could, of course, work and Penguin’s counterthreat of turning world opinion against the US after an attack is certainly in character for the brazen bird.

I liked the additional detail about Penguin’s followers in this issue. He had a useful henchwoman and finks, though he did not call them finks and they were all labeled as GOONs. This observation is in keeping with the show and a nitpick about my own preferences.

I’m looking forward to the Joker’s debut.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
MAC

Post by MAC »

I only have the first comic book...

Found the weird coloring choices distracting although the art was mostly very good.

Too much go-go-go action without any moments of silence or calm.

Alfred out of character for no good reason.

Didn't like Batman using technology from today to solve a problem in '66. Felt like he should have relied more on his wits and vast knowledge rather than a 3-D printer.

Too many villains = no time to focus on any one villain or have any special moments.

Plot seeme pretty weak.

Holding out hope for #2. Hope the art is as strong and the writing is much better.

In any case,I'm happy to see a Batman who isn't scowling and cursing and friendless. If only the "real" Batman could take some cues from "Earth-66" Batman.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Just read last Wednesday's Egghead. I felt like I came in the middle. Had to check if I missed an issue.

The Egghead portrayal wasn't bad. I was a little surprised when they dropped him off at Gotham State penitentiary since the Joker story showed him in Arkham Asylum. Warden Crichton didn't look much like David Lewis. :)