Memories of Batman from years past...

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bryan Grantham

Memories of Batman from years past...

Post by Bryan Grantham »

I can imagine, after reading posts here for the past year, that there are many people who can relate to my story. It's both funny and sad, but at this latest point, I feel vindicated in my fondness for the Batman character(s), especially the tv show. Let me explain why i say 'vindicated'...

The first superhero i really attached to was the Barry Allen "Flash", mostly because i was a quick runner in school... but when i was first shown Batman, i was hooked. Here was a human who had trained to become a champion of good; he had no super-powers, just training, smarts, guts and heart (oh, and MONEY. Let's not forget money...). In other words, Batman seemed like an achievable hero, therefore, close to 'real-world' as you could get. I was raised in the country, not much tv was available, and i was born in 1965, so i had missed the first run of Batmania. A cousin of mine had several of the large-format DC Treasury reprints, among which was Detective Comics #27. It made an immediate impact on my young mind. The city, the darkness, the mysterious character known then as "The Bat-man", the villains (mostly regular crooks, that 'superstitious, cowardly lot'), drew me in like no comic narrative had before. I traced and drew so many panels from that era.

Skip ahead several years... I had become familiar with the later iterations of the character, and it never bothered me that he had changed, i just went with it. When recess time came in school, i would play as the other kids played, but after one summer i had spent playing super-hero with relatives, i decided to take a bold step on the playground, and i carried a dark blue towel rolled under my arm, along with a facemask i had fashioned out of cardboard and an old pair of sunglass frames. Using a safety pin i had smuggled in, i quickly became my favorite character... Batman! It never occurred to me that others my age would see this as odd; after all, i had just spent several weeks playing it at home, out in the country, with some of my best friends, relatives who had just as fertile an imagination as i. I was in for a rude awakening. The laughter stung a little, but the biggest puzzle was the sounds that my schoolmates were making.... some kind of tune followed by the shout "BAT-MAN!" It was annoying, to say the least, but i tried not to let it bother me. A few of the boys and girls seemed to get what i was doing, even if they didn't go to the lengths i did to emulate Batman. As the days passed, my sisters began to implore my mom to please talk to their odd little brother, as i was making them look bad to their peers (they were older and almost in high school). One afternoon, as school was winding down, a fellow classmate was showing a car.... it was a corgi Batmobile, and it was awesome. I had never seen one quite like it. He looked at me and said it was just like the one on the tv show. "What tv show??" "Batman, stupid... don't you watch it? It comes on every afternoon at 4:30!" I was so excited. When i got home from school, i checked the channels on our old black-and-white, and sure enough... Joker was in police headquarters, taunting Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara (who?)... Gordon calls Batman, and Bruce and Dick run to the moving bookcase, and as it closes, the screen spins, the music starts, and....one mystery solved. There's where that annoying refrain came from! My first episode was "The Zodiac Crimes"... and once again, i was hooked. It didn't take long to get used to the trappings of the tv show, and i watched as many as i could.

Classmates eventually got used to what i was doing, and it even seemed like i was making friends, especially when the Mego line of superhero dolls ('action figure' was not part of the language yet) was released. For Christmas, i received Batman and Robin. For my birthday, the Mego Batmobile. I noticed that other kids had B & R, but they also had the villains.

As i got older, of course the action figures fell apart, and i became more interested in my Lionel train layout that my dad had made for me one year. I still liked Batman, but no longer role-played. I was not yet in my teens, but was already interested in girls, but couldn't understand why of course. Still living out in the country did nothing to improve my social awkwardness, so i still pursued fantasy as a hobby, reading Doc Savage paperbacks, old comics, new comics, old-time radio, etc. I was unprepared for my first week of high school (aren't we all?), but what made it much worse was the ribbing i started to receive regarding my playground past. "Hey, you forgot your towel, BRUCE" was one i heard more than once. The gym teacher, when i tripped many times during class, would say "I thought Batman could do anything., followed by uproarious laughter from the pinheaded jocks. But the crowning moment to my first month of high school came in the hallways as i was headed to my locker to get ready for another class. A bully blocked my path, and looking me right in the eye, jeered "My dad says Batman is a ******!" I just stared, bewildered, not knowing who he was or even what he had just said. Living where i did had sheltered me more than i knew. Before i could process what was happening, he spun me around, ripped my pack from my shoulders, and shoved me down to the floor, and repeated that word i would come to hate all during high school. I was small and skinny, bookish, nerdy, the weird kid who wore a blue towel to recess... I didn't stand a chance.

The days became a blur of dodging bullies by having my lunches in different empty classrooms. I became more withdrawn, and with the constant taunting, i started to hate myself. There were no real school counselors back then, and i was attending a 'christian' school, the type that parents sent their unruly kids to when military school was not an option, hence the bully population. The principal would ask me what i had done to provoke them, when i received a beating at the hands of these bullies. So it went, year after year.... it was a wonder i actually learned stuff and eventually graduated. I still liked girls but had trouble getting dates because of the social awkwardness, and something else. Word had gotten around that i liked Batman. Some parents had read a book that said Batman and Robin were into an alternate lifestyle... and if it's in a book, it's gospel, right? So they passed this info on to their kids, who made the obvious connection that i was also into this alternate lifestyle. Nothing was further from the truth.

I went to a local community college, while most of my peers went to upscale universities, so i realized i had the golden opportunity to re-invent myself and maybe find some real friends. I still liked Batman and comics, but i decided i hated the tv show, and distanced myself from it, and hid my comics hobby like a secret shame. I had many girlfriends, and as long as i kept things light, i got along with many people, becoming as popular as a 'nerd' is allowed to. I blossomed, compared to earlier years, and finally grew up, a little. My earlier hobbies became very useful in passing several English and writing classes, making straight A's. My social awkwardness i used to excel in sociology classes. I had a quick mind, a quick wit, which i used to elicit much laughter from my new friends.

Close to 1987, i read a small article that a Batman film was finally being made. I felt a small stir of excitement when it was specified that the character was being returned to his dark and mysterious roots. Did i dare hope that this was really being done? A serious Batman? I felt so much joy upon seeing it on opening night with a crowd of enthusiastic fans. I don't see the Tim Burton film with the same eyes now, but back on June 19, 1989... this movie owned its audience. We laughed, gasped, cheered, and had a wonderful time. This was the movie i had wanted to see for so long, this was the character i wanted people to see, not the one in the baggy leotard with the gosh-wow sidekick.

Years passed, the movies got stranger until Batman and Robin, when it seemed as if they were trying to drag the audience kicking and screaming back to the tv show. I just shrugged and was grateful that we had the handful that we did, and that comic-based movies were becoming an accepted norm. I was still a nerd, but an accepted nerd, dammit, and i had a wife and kids. One year, a cable channel called TV Land was showing the 1966 Batman, and my wife was watching it. After much cajoling, i finally sat down with her to watch it, but it still made me uncomfortable. After a few episodes however, i was hooked once again, although this time, as an adult. There was a layer of story there that i had never seen as a child, double-meaning jokes and humor that fit into the world they had made. I developed a new appreciation of the show, and began to seek out behind-the-scenes info about the making of the show, like Joel Eisners Batbook, and a few others. I didn't have internet yet, but i ate up everything i could find. I realized i loved the show, loved the stories, mostly, loved the actors and in spite of what has come to light since, i could see that they were enjoying chewing the scenery.

Something akin to Batmania is approaching again, this time celebrating the 1966 series. I have grown as a person, but i am still a collector of comics, though my collection nowadays is digital format. I don't have any idea where my former classmates are, or the bullies, and neither do i care. What i do know and am very grateful for is the fact that there are many people like me, who enjoy the show unashamedly, love the character Batman in many different incarnations, and can share that love online in a place such as this. I feel safe in my 'fan-hood', now.

THANK YOU, the moderators, the originators of the site, the many contributors of info and updates, the fans of the characters and the tv show for having this site available. I feel like a young boy again, and i remember the excitement i had for Batman, and how much fun i had before it all went wrong, and all of you had a big part in helping. Bless all of you.

Bryan Grantham
Bryan Grantham

Re: Memories of Batman from years past...

Post by Bryan Grantham »

I wrote this almost ten years ago. Much has happened since then...a divorce, a new relationship, deaths and births, moving, and marriage to my wonderful amazing wife. What I wrote back then was a much needed cleansing, and I wasn't sure I should share it. I hope anyone who reads it understands. Thanks again, all, I love being part of this message board.

Bryan Grantham
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Well it gets my vote for post of the year, Bryan, and while I know we're only 24 days I think it'll hold up.

Your story resonates with me on many different levels and I find the course our lives take to be a fascinating one. Posts like this are too few and far between. I know a lot of you (most of you) have developed the habit of interacting on Facebook-- a place in my mind so toxic and horrid I would never ever go back, I'm happy with these boards, thank you-- and I look forward to so many regular posters here who still work up the energy to post a new item, a glimpse into their own personal fandom, and anything that connects all of us.

I've been here since almost day one-- back when David Sutton was an active participant-- and I came here because Wally Wingert sent me, so he pre-dates me by several years. In those early days we spoke in DMs and hushed tones about the best source of VHS and later DVD copies of the show. At one point we even had a set made from original 35mm masters. None of us liked the idea of bootleggers but there was no other way to watch the show then, and I don't think anyone charged for copies.

The board has had its ups and downs, too many lurkers who feel like they don't have enough to say, too many posts that are simply a link to something else, too many people who feel like they are "thread killers" i.e. they post something or a response and the thread ends-- trust me I think I've killed more threads than anyone, but mixed in are the gems-- we all found out about the official merchandise licensing from WB right here. We've been living vicariously through Lou's retirement and his absolute onslaught of the Bat-Merchandise he's been accumulating for the day he can play with that little grand kid who will be here someday.

I've made real friendships here, and I've made solid acquaintances too. SDCC has become a sort of unofficial gathering point of 66 Bat and Board Fans, and I've done what I could to expand it to other shows around the country-- I've had nice dinners, conversations and coffees with members here in Baltimore, Charlotte and Chicago. One of my favorite memories is Scott snapping at me because we all knew the DVD release had been officially done-- and I wanted to break the news here, he told me in strong words "not until its announced" and I scoffed because I was certain it was only days away--and my source was Adam West himself who told me it was being announced-- but in reality it took nearly A YEAR for the official word to come out. If you have a good memory you'll recall the year BEFORE WB announced it the SDCC official show bags were Adam and Burt-- that's because it was supposed to be the big news that year and then a snafu happened. Once again Scott was right. If I'm ever president I want Scott in my Cabinet with the nuclear codes.

This board is a good place, I like the strictness the moderators keep in place, no politics or even rude behavior allowed. The internet, and the world for that matter, would be a better place if there were more of that. We also need more folks to take a minute to post here, even if you don't feel you have much to add. That's what makes a community.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Bryan I grew up with similar feelings, maybe because I too was born in '65 and we experienced the same media and social conditions. One difference was I was a very large kid and that kept many of the bullies at bay but I still had feelings of embarrassment too reveal my love of comics and such too. I remember wanting to wear Batman and Superman t-shirts so bad but I would cover them with a button up shirt and open the shirt to select friends that I knew wouldn't judge me. I very easily could have and know now I should have just worn the shirts. I wasn't a fighter, but I also knew I could have silenced them all one way or another, but I chose to keep it hidden.

I love this forumn and I know most here share common similarities in upbringing, morals, manors and love of heros. I'm proud of what Batman, Superman and the comics code has taught us and those same qualities are reflected in how this forumn is moderated and within the posts members share.

Randy
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

Bryan, I'm glad you reposted this, because I missed it 10 years ago! It's wonderful to share your story - I'm sure we can all relate to a part of it. One thing I will say I really like about this board is the decorum set by the moderators - I think it helps keep our discussions on topic and also provides a "safe" environment to share. I'm proud to be a member and also grateful.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I’ve said this multiple times, it’s as if we’ve known each other all our lives through these shared experiences that allow us to reminisce with “strangers”, whether it’s Batman, Spider-Man, Doc Savage, Classic Universal Monsters, movies, TV series, comics or paperbacks. And I especially like to see the artists and creators as big a fan as we mild mannered commoners.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Bryan Grantham

Post by Bryan Grantham »

Thank you all for your kind words.

Bryan Grantham
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

Amazing how we have all walked the same paths to end up as Grown adults who loved a TV show , which was probably most of our first experience with the Character, and I use to frequent this board much more then I did. I’ll admit I’ve called my self a thread killer at times, but I’ve come to realize that’s my problem and not reality. In some ways once we got the DVD’s and such easy access to the show, some of the “fun was gone” but I need to remember that there is more here then the show, a lot more. Thanks Bryan for sharing and thanks Andy also … you know why.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Bryan, I really can sympathize with you, as I went through a lot of the same harassment you did - albeit from a different perspective because I was beginning to realize a certain truth about myself, and trying to be as invisible as I could. Put it this way - you didn't deserve to be referred to by that epithet, and despite what I am, neither did I. Some forty years later, I have a lot of good friends, good family, and a partner who loves me with all my quirks (including me being a devoted Batfan).

I'm glad you and I both survived and thrived, Bryan - spare a thought now and then for those who didn't.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

My grandmother owned the household's only television set, so while midweek "Star Trek" clashed with one of "her" shows, "Batman" became whole-family viewing from the pilot episode, on a Sunday evening in Sydney in 1967, with the cliffhangers resolved on each following Tuesday! My parents, my Dad's parents, my younger brother and I all watched every week. (I did eventually become a "Star Trek" fan, in 1979.)

Of course, like many fans my age, we watched "Batman" as action/adventure in first-run. Then as a quirky favourite on afternoon repeat. Then as a bizarre comedy the next go around. Then in ludicrous full colour when colour TV came to Australia in March 1975. Kids at my primary school also collected Scanlen's "Batman" bubble gum cards (Topps in the USA), first the art cards and then real photos. I was confused by the cards depicting four arch villains in shots together. What episode was this? Somehow, even though I was not supposed to have bubblegum in the house, I did manage to collect the whole set of cards. I recently re-bought a set on eBay, because Mum made me donate my first set to charity in 1971.

It would be many years later before I realised there was a feature film. I eventually caught it on TV. In my research, just a few years ago, I discovered that my Internet pal, David Lillicot, had taken photos of Batman and Robin (not the real ones) arriving by helicopter at the then-new Roselands Shopping Centre in August 1967, to promote the feature film version of the TV series coming to a city cinema. They were presented to the crowd by Radio 2UW's Ward "Pally" Austin.

The Dynamic Duo at Roselands in 1967 by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I discovered that the original b/w serial also came back to Australia in 1966, supposedly to prepare us for the TV series. "Corny! Of course. But so corny that, when Columbia Pictures dug out 15 episodes of the vintage serial from the bottom of their film files and strung them together to make a mammoth 248-minute movie, the result entranced young, and not so young, Americans. 'Batmania' started in America last year. The revival has been attributed to many sources: to an American university which screened the old serials for their students; to the Chicago Playboy Club, which showed one serial to its members, then ran the lot when it turned out to be a huge success; and to the cellar coffee lounges which are always on the lookout for POP entertainment..."

Australian Womens Weekly, May 18 1966 by Ian McLean, on Flickr

My mother finally helped me to make a Robin costume when i was 26!

Medtrek II 1984 by Ian McLean as Robin, on Flickr

Hoyts Cinema Centre in the Sydney CBD asked us to dress up and do a series of weekly "Rocky Horror Picture Show"-type events for their weekly 60s' "Batman" movie revival in January 1987! I had the Robin costume already, and I gathered up friends to play Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Riddler, Joker, Two-Face, Supergirl and Lois Lane, even though not all of those were in the 1966 movie, of course. We leaped across the stage when the opening credits featured our character. One night, our Batman couldn't make it, so the theatre manager turned up in a hired Batman costume.

"Batman" night at Hoyts by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The guy in the pith helmet was the interviewer from a Saturday morning TV music show called "Sounds". He said to our Lois: “Lois Lane? Aren’t you in the wrong theatre?” And then Lois swung her handbag at him.

Batman night at Hoyts by Ian McLean, on Flickr

As Robin, I ran across the screen with this "fin on a stick" just before the famous "rubber shark scene". (This made it onto a TV current affairs show the next week!) I also inflated about ten black balloons during the movie and passed them around the cinema - "Sometimes you just can't get rid of a bomb!" - and the audience realised they had to burst them when Batman's bomb went off.

Shark fin by Ian McLean, on Flickr

In 1989, Batmania took off all over again! I started up a club called "Battalion", here in Sydney, with a friend who worked in a comic store. He had a meeting with Phyllis Hume of DC Comics on a work trip to NYC - and she allowed us "kind permission" to run a "Batman" fan club and newsletter, "Utility Belt".

Battalion by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The next year, I was asked to speak about "Batman" fandom on an episode of "Couchman", an Australian television interview show.

Ian on "Couchman", 1990. by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Host Peter Couchman kept returning to the "escapism" angle of science fiction fandom. Many of the fan participants were rather suspicious of Couchman's planted "experts", Dr Stephen Juan, an anthropologist, and Professor Brent Waters, a psychologist. However, these experts were surprisingly supportive of science fiction fans, ie. we were adults who haven't forgotten how to "play", and who have found a sense of community and acceptance of each other.

In 2000, a friend wrote a book on bubblegum - and my "Star Trek" collection ended up in that! ('Cos my mother had made me throw out the "Batman" cards, remember!)

"Chewing gum: how it fed the gods, went into space and helped win the war" by Natalie Jane Prior by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

AWESOME, Ian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Therin of Andor wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:58 am My grandmother owned the household's only television set, so while midweek "Star Trek" clashed with one of "her" shows, "Batman" became whole-family viewing from the pilot episode, on a Sunday evening in Sydney in 1967, with the cliffhangers resolved on each following Tuesday! My parents, my Dad's parents, my younger brother and I all watched every week. (I did eventually become a "Star Trek" fan, in 1979.)

Of course, like many fans my age, we watched "Batman" as action/adventure in first-run. Then as a quirky favourite on afternoon repeat. Then as a bizarre comedy the next go around. Then in ludicrous full colour when colour TV came to Australia in March 1975. Kids at my primary school also collected Scanlen's "Batman" bubble gum cards (Topps in the USA), first the art cards and then real photos. I was confused by the cards depicting four arch villains in shots together. What episode was this? Somehow, even though I was not supposed to have bubblegum in the house, I did manage to collect the whole set of cards. I recently re-bought a set on eBay, because Mum made me donate my first set to charity in 1971.

It would be many years later before I realised there was a feature film. I eventually caught it on TV. In my research, just a few years ago, I discovered that my Internet pal, David Lillicot, had taken photos of Batman and Robin (not the real ones) arriving by helicopter at the then-new Roselands Shopping Centre in August 1967, to promote the feature film version of the TV series coming to a city cinema. They were presented to the crowd by Radio 2UW's Ward "Pally" Austin.

The Dynamic Duo at Roselands in 1967 by Ian McLean, on Flickr

I discovered that the original b/w serial also came back to Australia in 1966, supposedly to prepare us for the TV series. "Corny! Of course. But so corny that, when Columbia Pictures dug out 15 episodes of the vintage serial from the bottom of their film files and strung them together to make a mammoth 248-minute movie, the result entranced young, and not so young, Americans. 'Batmania' started in America last year. The revival has been attributed to many sources: to an American university which screened the old serials for their students; to the Chicago Playboy Club, which showed one serial to its members, then ran the lot when it turned out to be a huge success; and to the cellar coffee lounges which are always on the lookout for POP entertainment..."

Australian Womens Weekly, May 18 1966 by Ian McLean, on Flickr

My mother finally helped me to make a Robin costume when i was 26!

Medtrek II 1984 by Ian McLean as Robin, on Flickr

Hoyts Cinema Centre in the Sydney CBD asked us to dress up and do a series of weekly "Rocky Horror Picture Show"-type events for their weekly 60s' "Batman" movie revival in January 1987! I had the Robin costume already, and I gathered up friends to play Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Riddler, Joker, Two-Face, Supergirl and Lois Lane, even though not all of those were in the 1966 movie, of course. We leaped across the stage when the opening credits featured our character. One night, our Batman couldn't make it, so the theatre manager turned up in a hired Batman costume.

"Batman" night at Hoyts by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The guy in the pith helmet was the interviewer from a Saturday morning TV music show called "Sounds". He said to our Lois: “Lois Lane? Aren’t you in the wrong theatre?” And then Lois swung her handbag at him.

Batman night at Hoyts by Ian McLean, on Flickr

As Robin, I ran across the screen with this "fin on a stick" just before the famous "rubber shark scene". (This made it onto a TV current affairs show the next week!) I also inflated about ten black balloons during the movie and passed them around the cinema - "Sometimes you just can't get rid of a bomb!" - and the audience realised they had to burst them when Batman's bomb went off.

Shark fin by Ian McLean, on Flickr

In 1989, Batmania took off all over again! I started up a club called "Battalion", here in Sydney, with a friend who worked in a comic store. He had a meeting with Phyllis Hume of DC Comics on a work trip to NYC - and she allowed us "kind permission" to run a "Batman" fan club and newsletter, "Utility Belt".

Battalion by Ian McLean, on Flickr

The next year, I was asked to speak about "Batman" fandom on an episode of "Couchman", an Australian television interview show.

Ian on "Couchman", 1990. by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Host Peter Couchman kept returning to the "escapism" angle of science fiction fandom. Many of the fan participants were rather suspicious of Couchman's planted "experts", Dr Stephen Juan, an anthropologist, and Professor Brent Waters, a psychologist. However, these experts were surprisingly supportive of science fiction fans, ie. we were adults who haven't forgotten how to "play", and who have found a sense of community and acceptance of each other.

In 2000, a friend wrote a book on bubblegum - and my "Star Trek" collection ended up in that! ('Cos my mother had made me throw out the "Batman" cards, remember!)

"Chewing gum: how it fed the gods, went into space and helped win the war" by Natalie Jane Prior by Ian McLean, on Flickr
A wealth of great memories as a Batfan. Thanks for sharing.

Then, there's the '76 Star Trek trading cards! What a time to be a Trek fan!
Beneath Wayne Manor
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Pretty impressive costumes, especially your Robin, Batgirl and the Riddler costumes. Enjoyable stories, as well.

Your “Star Trek” “experience” was similar to mine. Some other show conflicted with it, so I only saw it once (that I can remember) during the original run, but became a big fan in the 70s.