The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Re: The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

Post by High C »

For a non-actress, I thought Lesley Gore did a terrific job of acting in these episodes, doing an even better job than some of the real actresses who played henchmolls in S2. However, I hated how the show had to grind to a halt so she could sing a song.

It wasn't a good sign when the show became a vehicle for someone else to promote her product.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I noticed that after Leslie sang her first number Julie appeared to stumble getting back on her throne. She recovered nicely.
redbird

Post by redbird »

The one big problem I had with this entire episode, both part 1 and 2. If Robin was in the power of Catwoman all this time, with a room to sleep in and everything else...why didn't she unmask him and realize he was Dick Grayson, she was teaching him dancing lessons earlier in the season at stately Wayne Manor...and would have known who he was and then Batman is Millionaire Bruce Wayne.
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

That very thing was the biggest issue I had with the pilot episode, when Riddler makes a "Robin" mask for Molly. Robin is unconscious and captive, you need to make a mold of his face, but don't take off his mask to do it? It made no sense at all, and Batman said the flaws in the nostrils of the mask were the giveaway. I just don't see HOW you could make a mold of the face without taking off that face's mask.

But how many times did the caped crusaders regain consciousness only to find themselves in a death trap without their utility belts, but no one bothered to remove their masks while they were out cold?
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

I agree.The scripts should have included the Villains/Villainesses trying to unmask the Dynamic Duo.They only had The Joker trying to do it.Thank You.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

redbird wrote:The one big problem I had with this entire episode, both part 1 and 2. If Robin was in the power of Catwoman all this time, with a room to sleep in and everything else...why didn't she unmask him and realize he was Dick Grayson, she was teaching him dancing lessons earlier in the season at stately Wayne Manor...and would have known who he was and then Batman is Millionaire Bruce Wayne.
In the fan fiction I co-wrote about the villaness Jewel a few weeks ago I addressed his. When she has Robin hostage one of her men asks her why she doesn't unmask Robin. She says if she unmasks him r injures him he will be less use as a hostage. Maybe not a strong reason but at least I tried.

I think in Catwoman's case she is so focused on her plan she simply forgets.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I suppose they just don't care who it is. They get more street cred being chased by a costumed hero then a ( put civilian identity here )

if I was a masked and costumed nut who did theme based crimes, I wouldn't care who the hell you really were :)
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

redbird wrote:The one big problem I had with this entire episode, both part 1 and 2. If Robin was in the power of Catwoman all this time, with a room to sleep in and everything else...why didn't she unmask him and realize he was Dick Grayson, she was teaching him dancing lessons earlier in the season at stately Wayne Manor...and would have known who he was and then Batman is Millionaire Bruce Wayne.
Considering that Aunt Harriet (in the Penguin movie scam) couldn't remember Penguin leading a home invasion on Wayne Manor one month earlier, where she was held at gunpoint, any logic had already hit the road.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Robin could unmask in front of Aunt Harriet and she would be too clueless to figure it out.

Its a shame she didn't get a chance to be a costumed hero at least once
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Orr vilaimess. Aunt Harriet Gets conked on the head on turns evil.
High C

Post by High C »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
Considering that Aunt Harriet (in the Penguin movie scam) couldn't remember Penguin leading a home invasion on Wayne Manor one month earlier, where she was held at gunpoint, any logic had already hit the road.
Yeah, and they doubled down on that lack of continuity and logic in the season 3 opener when Penguin believes Alfred to be a minister, despite the fact he kidnapped and brainwashed him in the season 1 finale specifically because he was Bruce Wayne's butler.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Bob

Post by Bob »

I loved the lack of continuity. Every show was its own self contained story. Nobody was a slave to what was done in the past
High C

Post by High C »

Bob wrote:I loved the lack of continuity. Every show was its own self contained story. Nobody was a slave to what was done in the past
You're entitled to your opinion. I thought it was stupid and an insult to the audience. That's my opinion.

We can agree to disagree.

Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

These were two of my favorite episodes because Catwoman + Robin = awesome. I liked seeing a "bad" Robin, it was pretty funny and I also enjoyed Burt's acting. There were so many things that I loved about these episodes, one of the highlights being that Batman refused to hit or hurt Robin, so he let Robin beat him up. I also especially liked when Robin tricked Batman into thinking he was back to his old self, tied up in a chair, and then said, "Would I do that to you, Batman baby?" :lol: I can see Catwoman telling him what to say and how to act since she knew from past experience. I think this may have been some of Burt's best acting.

The lack of continuity is confusing, but sometimes I like that each story is self-contained. I'm fine with either way since it's already said and done, but since it was a "series" there should or could have been more of a continuity to try to keep things consistent. At least character-wise, if not plot-wise. :)
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

I'm pretty strict about continuity, personally, no passes from me on ANYTHING!

Sorry, but when you're dealing with every character on the show being aware of "Millionaire Bruce Wayne, and his youthful ward, Dick Grayson", you can't have it both ways and no one is familiar with butler Alfred, PARTICULARLY when you've dealt with, or targeted him personally before.

It was clear Commissioner Gordon has spent a lot of time socializing with Bruce Wayne, seemed comfortable visiting his Stately Wayne Manor on multiple occasions, and it was established that Bruce Wayne is involved in every charitable organization in spitting distance of Gotham City. He was heavily involved with Gotham State Prison's rehabilitation programs also. Bruce Wayne was nothing if not high profile.

Penguin had multiple dealings with Alfred, from kidnapping and brainwashing him in season one, to briefly mistaking him for a forger in season two, BEFORE remembering his prior experience with him, and then forgetting AGAIN in season 3 and believing he's a minister? Sorry, that's too many run-ins, especially when Penguin initially targeted him BECAUSE of his notable connection to Bruce Wayne.

Rather than ignoring continuity to cater to the basest needs of the story, and embracing that laziness, you'd think a series based on a secret-identity story would jump at the chance to find new and creative ways to threaten exposing Wayne's secret identity, using Alfred and Harriet to do it. One of my favorite things about season 3 was that Alfred was also in on Batgirl's secret identity, and honor bound to keep these allies in the dark about each others' true identities. It really strengthened Alfred's relevance and position on the series for that season.
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."