The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Robin's Girl

Re: The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

Post by Robin's Girl »

Very true. However, is it okay if I just write a little reminder for all of us that this thread is titled "The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread" and therefore is used to talk about specific episodes? Everyone has interesting input, and there is always the option of starting a new thread to talk about other topics, like continuity in the series, etc. So maybe can we try to stay on track? Otherwise it gets kind of confusing reading detailed posts about several other things than what the thread is specifically for. A little of expansion into other topics is fine, but for longer or more detailed discussion, we can create new threads for it. But on here I just want to read people's thoughts and input on episodes. That's all.
I really do love this board and I am enjoying what everyone has to share. :)
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I'll throw my two cents into the That/Scat discussion. I took notes during it since I remembered it being my favorite pair of eps as a kid.

First of all, though, did anyone else have the sound drop out once or twice, or was it just because I was picking it up with an antenna?

Okay, first observation: I don't remember seeing any batpoles used in these eps, so I guess a rare ep where they don't use any of the stock batpole footage.

I heard either Stanley Ralph Ross or Burt Ward (or both) talking about how Ross wrote the line as "My name is Pussycat, but you can call me ... Cat." I'm guessing that part didn't get used. <g> I assume it wasn't just cut for syndication timing.

I remember seeing either on older posts here or on the old boards that someone used the nick Titian-Haired Wench. Now I know where it came from <g>

Loved Julie and her saucer of milk at Wayne Manor. LOL

I think they speeded/sped up California Nights.

ME-TV included the 3 minutes that I've seen cut in other versions on youtube, from where Lesley stops singing to where they're counting the money and they're still $700,000 short. This 3 minutes includes the "odious, abhorrent, and insegrevious" phone call that I've only seen included in one youtube version.

I liked the play on words with Pat Pending (abbreviation for patent pending) and Rudy the valet (Rudy Vallee)

I liked "Slay the blue dragon" and the fact that Batman couldn't hit Robin back.

Well, I liked most everything about the episode, so I'll stop naming stuff. LOL.

As for part 2, ME-TV chose to cut the second song, but they did put back some footage I haven't seen on any of the youtube versions, the brief romantic suggestion in the Batcave with Catwoman asking Batman isn't there something he wants to do now that they're standing almost mask to mask.

Another piece that they included, but that I've only seen on one youtube version, was Commissioner Gordon getting phone calls from the mayor, the governor, and the President.

There's a behind-the-scenes picture in the Batcave I saw somewhere online with Julie wearing fuzzy slippers with her costume, and Adam missing his utility belt. If I can't find where it is online, I'll upload it myself.

EDIT: Found it, and a couple of other pics.

redbird

Post by redbird »

I agree with all of the above comments, about the intelligence of the audience watching the show. But
being a TV show first for entertainment value it could have lead to a very different conclusion by the show's direction. Imagine, Batman and Robin unmasked...their value as crimes fighters ruined, up the shoot, from Season1, episode 1. BUT... in the comic book of Batman during the 70's, I recall where the Caped Crusader was unmasked and underneath the cowl was a black painted on the face cowl like image.
But think of the possibilities, if the Green Hornet knew the real identity of Batman and vice versa. What stories could be told, reveal the identity of Batman (as in the Comic book). One final note on the secret identity thing...Did any of the actors who played Superman look that much different with glasses on, being Clark Kent...REALLY!
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Yes, Christopher Reeve was able to look like a different man in the two identities. There's a picture floating around out there (half-Superman/half Clark) that proves my point. :)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

This week on ME-TV Sept 7, 2013

Episode 79 BATMAN'S ANNIVERSARY Aired 2/8/67
Episode 80 A RIDDLING CONTROVERSY Aired 2/9/67
During a party for Batman's crime-fighting anniversary, the Riddler appears and nabs a golden calf filled with money for charity. His next target is the Gotham City Bank, which he floods for an underwater robbery. Although Batman and Robin try to stop him, the villain makes a clean getaway, leaving only a final riddle that stumps the Caped Crusaders. They discover all too late that his next move is an attempt to destroy them, this time with deadly quicksand disguised as strawberry icing atop a giant cake.

"The reason John Astin played The Riddler" recalled Frank Gorshin, "was because I had a night club commitment I couldn't cancel. They wouldn't let me out and the studio wanted to do that episode. Instead of waiting until I was available they cast somebody else. I was really offended that they did."
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

How early in the second season were these episodes? Frank Gorshin was nowhere in sight the entire season, as John Astin took over one of the stories and Maurice Evans took the other as The Puzzler.

Why didn't they try to get Mr. Gorshin in another story before the third season?
Gleeps, it's Batman

I thought I'd read or heard that it was a money dispute second season, but I have no idea what the truth actually is.
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

I like Gernot's question about when "Batman's Anniversary / A Riddling Controversy" was planned, cast, etc.

The fact of the matter is, it was a fantastic idea which remains sadly underappreciated and often unappreciated. This pair of episodes hearkens back to the pilot by bringing the Riddler back to Gotham City. The show, which was a comic book brought to life, borrowed the plot from a comic book. Using the Riddler demands good plotting because his gimmick is leading the heroes around by the nose using his riddles.

The story falls down for some due to the brilliant, original casting of Frank Gorshin as the Riddler and, regardless of whether due to a salary dispute or other obligations, his not being available. Since the story required the Riddler, he was recast. Gorshin had been so good in the role his understudy was bound to face an uphill battle.

IMHO, John Astin's portrayal is pretty good. He wisely did not try to imitate Gorshin and used the script; the strong story; and his supporting cast, including Deanna Lund who is a real doll, to excellent advantage. I believe anyone willing to give these episodes a fair chance will be entertained and really enjoy them.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The last time the Riddler had been seen prior to Astin's appearance was when he was being led out of Mr. Van Jones' mansion after trying to rip off the latter's silent movie collection.

Here was the production schedule order for the previous 10 shows before Astin's appearance:

Joker Key Crimes
Mr. Freeze (Preminger)
Marsha
Shame
Puzzler
Joker/Penguin Zodiac Crimes
Catwoman (Chad & Jeremy)
Mad Hatter
Penguin/Marsha Three-Parter
Catwoman/Pussycat

As noted before the Penguin restaurant caper was the first one filmed that season, and the Sandman/Catwoman teamup was actually filmed just after Minstrel and right before Egghead--yet was held back 2-3 months.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

First of all, though, did anyone else have the sound drop out once or twice, or was it just because I was picking it up with an antenna?
Yes. It happened to me and I have it on cable (and recorded it before watching).
Loved Julie and her saucer of milk at Wayne Manor. LOL
Although she spilled it a lot... but no point crying over that.:lol:
I think they speeded/sped up California Nights.
They speed up/slow down everything - to the point some of the dialogue sounds clipped. I think a couple bars were cut from the end of the song as well.
I liked the play on words with Pat Pending...
So did Hanna-Barbera; they used the name for a character in Wacky Races.
...and Rudy the valet
...who was channeling Stan Laurel for some reason.

I also watched for the the sleight-of-hand trick with the can of Bat-Sleep (first time I think someone below screen handed it to Batman; second time it's behind the Batmobile's tailfin).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
High C

Post by High C »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:I thought I'd read or heard that it was a money dispute second season, but I have no idea what the truth actually is.
It was a salary dispute. Gorshin wanted a raise to $5,000 per guest appearance.

http://tothebatpoles.blogspot.com/2011/ ... 79-80.html
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Gleeps, it's Batman

I also watched for the the sleight-of-hand trick with the can of Bat-Sleep (first time I think someone below screen handed it to Batman; second time it's behind the Batmobile's tailfin).
Oh, thanks for reminding me about that, chrisbcritter. :) I'd rewatched each of those scenes several times to see where it came from because I knew he didn't pull it out of his utility belt <g>

I see that the guy (Steven Franken) who played Rudy the valet was uncredited. I hadn't heard of him before, but he was apparently on 31 episodes of Dobie Gillis, a show I've never watched.

Interesting that the sound dropped out on cable also. Can't blame the antenna then <g>

Thanks for that link, High C. :) Will have to read through that site in my spare time. Always on the lookout for Batman 66 info these past few months. ;)

I wish I could find the audio tape I made of these episodes in the 70s. (No VCRs back then, so it was the only way I was able to enjoy the eps over again.) I'd like to use it to see if there is anything missing from the ME-TV version besides Lesley's second song. I also had the View Master of The Purrfect Crime and a 66 Batman book/novel (someone just posted a picture of it in another thread) but unfortunately I can't find any of those among my childhood stuff :(
High C

Post by High C »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote: [Thanks for that link, High C. :) Will have to read through that site in my spare time. Always on the lookout for Batman 66 info these past few months. ;)
You're welcome! Here's the link:

http://tothebatpoles.blogspot.com/

'Batscholar,' aka Joel Eisner, who wrote The Official Bat-Book, has some tidbits about casting and production of episodes that I didn't know about until now.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Thanks to Gleeps for those great pictures from Scat.

I hope people don't mind me discussing a few episodes that you've already covered but I'm new to the board.

The episodes that have been airing on MeTV lately are particular favorites of mine. I first became a fan of the Batman character when I was around four or five, when a local station showed reruns of the TV series. While I continued to purchase every issue of the comic book, no TV stations in my area showed the series until I was in the sixth grade. Unfortunately, they chose to show it at noon while I was in school and I couldn’t watch it. I still remember how much I was looking forward to seeing the series again after so many years, and how much I enjoyed getting to watch it over Christmas vacation. I still remember the episodes that I got to see, from the Puzzler episodes through That/Scat Darn Catwoman. I also got to see the first Egghead two-parter over Thanksgiving.

As for the episodes recently discussed, with an older, more critical eye:

I like the Zodiac Crimes, but I thought it was padded in places. Since it had two writers, I wonder if maybe it started out as a two-part Joker story and was padded out into three parts to accommodate Penguin, especially since he isn’t in the second episode. Does anyone know? I’m sure the plot point about Venus defecting and helping Batman was Stephen Kandell’s idea, since it echoed Blaze joining Batman in the False-Face episodes that Kandell wrote. To be honest, though, one of the things that knocks the episode down a few notches for me is I just didn’t like Terry Moore. She is a pretty bad actress and I found her to be one of the least attractive molls on the entire series. I think a better Venus would have added

That/Scat Darn Catwoman, on the other hand, is still among my favorite episodes of the entire series. Seeing the normally straight-laced Dynamic Duo act so ridiculously out of character was hilarious. Plus, you’ve got to love when Batman says, “What about Robin?” and Catwoman replies, “I’ve got it. We’ll kill him.” Great stuff! I hope this doesn’t sound to sleazy, but, in the sixth grade, I had only recently discovered that I liked girls. Well, getting to see four Julie Newmar/Catwoman episodes over that break definitely confirmed that for me!

I actually like the Penguin/Marsha team-up best of the three parters, which surprised me because the original Marsha two-parter is among my least favorite episodes of the series. I thought that since it had one writer and seemed to flow better without padding that maybe it was written as a three-parter to begin with.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

I thought the opposite. I felt the Penguin three parter was padded and Marsha's part could have been handled by a moll. I like Xodiac Crimes best and i even like the Ffogg three parter better than Penuin Marsha.