The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Re: The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

Post by AndyFish »

The sped up music is the most annoying. There's really no reason for MeTV to do this, since they don't show a lot of commercials anyway.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Sat Aug 10
THE ZODIAC CRIMES 1/11/67 eps 71
THE JOKER'S HARD TIMES 1/12/67 eps 72
THE PENGUIN DECLINES 1/18/67 eps 73
Written by Stephen Kandel Directed by Oscar Rudolph
The Joker has a wave of twelve crimes planned, one for each sign of the Zodiac. With help from another of Gotham City's arch criminals, the Penguin, he successfully pulls off several of his capers. Batman and Robin suspect he will strike next at the Gotham City Museum and lay a trap for him there. But when they instead are captured by the Joker, it appears the Dynamic Duo will face doom as the villain prepares to crush them beneath a giant meteorite.

The first three part episode of the series. TRIVIA: According to 'Adam West''s Back To The Batcave, the three part episodes featuring The Joker and Penguin, and Penguin and Marsha Queen Of Diamonds, were each planned to be edited together as theatrical films for overseas releases.

This must have created havoc with the schedule-- unless they pre empted one of the episodes the following week-- but with no single part episodes aired as yet how would they do that? Likely no Batman on Thursday of that second week.
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

AndyFish wrote: This must have created havoc with the schedule
Zodiac 3-parter ran Wed., Thurs., Wed.

"That Darn Catwoman / Scat! Darn Catwoman" began on Thursday, wrapped on Wednesday. If you check the cliffhanger, it says "Tune in Next Week..."

Penguin/Marsha followed with a Thurs, Wed., Thurs. schedule.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

AndyFish wrote:Sat Aug 10
THE ZODIAC CRIMES 1/11/67 eps 71
THE JOKER'S HARD TIMES 1/12/67 eps 72
THE PENGUIN DECLINES 1/18/67 eps 73
Written by Stephen Kandel Directed by Oscar Rudolph
The Joker has a wave of twelve crimes planned, one for each sign of the Zodiac. With help from another of Gotham City's arch criminals, the Penguin, he successfully pulls off several of his capers. Batman and Robin suspect he will strike next at the Gotham City Museum and lay a trap for him there. But when they instead are captured by the Joker, it appears the Dynamic Duo will face doom as the villain prepares to crush them beneath a giant meteorite.

The first three part episode of the series. TRIVIA: According to 'Adam West''s Back To The Batcave, the three part episodes featuring The Joker and Penguin, and Penguin and Marsha Queen Of Diamonds, were each planned to be edited together as theatrical films for overseas releases.
That was the trendy thing at the time, with other shows sending two-part episodes overseas to make money as a film, etc...
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Between Zodiac Crimes and Penguin is a Girl's Best Friend they ran That Darn Catwoman and Scat Darn Catwom on a Thursday Wednesday schedule.
marvelbloodhound

Post by marvelbloodhound »

That DOES make sense! They tried to cram TOO much into this episode.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

The Zodiac Crimes trilogy is about my favorite Batman ep. Big Joker fan (obviously :) ). This was the last really good Joker story.

I know people have problems with Terry Moore's Venus. She would have been better more natural and not a Marilyn Monroe wannabe.

Giver her props for when she posed as a member of the singing duo The Twins and especially as Brindle the phony cop in the jewelry store. I thought she was great in that scene.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I was watching Adam West on The Rifleman tonight, and ME-TV advertised some of their new Fall shows, which made me wonder if they'll be dumping Batman come Fall to make room for their new lineup. Does anyone know? This thought actually crossed my mind back when someone posted that they'd started showing Season 3 of Batman on Saturday mornings. It made me wonder if they were trying to finish out the contract before Fall started. Anybody have any inside knowledge?
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

According to MWTV's fall shedule on their website the dynamic duo retain their Saturday night time slot.
High C

Post by High C »

clavierankh, I think Cesar Romero was EXCELLENT in this trilogy, but Terry Moore's shrillness and bad Monroe impression weighed everything down, although the script and direction didn't help her, either.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

clavierankh wrote:According to MWTV's fall shedule on their website the dynamic duo retain their Saturday night time slot.
Yay! Thank you so much :)

On the previously mentioned speeding up of episodes, I was thinking I hadn't noticed it, but I suddenly just remembered that I *did* hear it on the second Chad and Jeremy episode. Their last song was sped up, and then I think it went back to normal when the dialogue started happening. Definitely annoying.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Haven't seen these in a long time. Cesar is great as always and Adam gave it his all. Burt seemed to know he was going to end up the episode locked In giant clam-- this is the episode Stanley Ralph Ross talked about where Burt had been pestering him for more to do, then when he did get more scenes he complained so Stanley stuck him in a giant clam.

The story goes that Burt never complained again.

Overall, a fun episode. The Joker driving the police car made me think of Heath Ledgers take on the character.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

A couple of thins I noticed.
In The Zodiac Crimes in the museum scene There is a bust under a spotlight on the right of the picture that looks like it might have been used in The Joker Is Riled as part of the comedians hall of fame.

In Joker's Hard Times in the commissioner's office. The commissioner is about to call Batman when Joker barges in. He even threatens Joker with the hand set. When the Joker says he's not raving he's raiding the commissioner is still holding the handset. The we switch to a long shot of Gorden and O'hara walking to the window. The handset is magically back on the phone and the cake cover is back in place.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

clavierankh wrote:A couple of thins I noticed.
In The Zodiac Crimes in the museum scene There is a bust under a spotlight on the right of the picture that looks like it might have been used in The Joker Is Riled as part of the comedians hall of fame.
Recycling old props became commonplace during the second season.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

We don't have ME-TV here in Canada but I really love the concept. I just hope they don't eventually do like a lot of other specialty channels and start out good but then quietly shift out the old better shows and bring more recent ones in calling them "retro" - even if they're only programs from 5 years ago or worse - start adding in "reality" garbage.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"