The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Re: The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Oh cool. I like those comparison pics. I guess that exterior was on the Desilu/Culver lot?

Which reminds me, I was going to comment on the latest ME-TV eps, the first two parts of Londinium, but just never got around to it. I forget what I was going to say anymore, but comparing the exteriors above reminded me of the excuse for reusing the same set in the Londinium eps: "Decor in a police department varies little the world over." LOL. Sheesh <g>

Oh, I remembered one of my other comments was about Barbara having a bat on her suitcase, and she brought that over on the ship? Holy dead giveaways!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

So, I see Wonder Woman is on the ME-TV Saturday/Sci-Fi schedule. Assuming Svengoolie is not going anywhere, which show is getting the axe for WW? Batman? Lost in Space? Star Trek? Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote:So, I see Wonder Woman is on the ME-TV Saturday/Sci-Fi schedule. Assuming Svengoolie is not going anywhere, which show is getting the axe for WW? Batman? Lost in Space? Star Trek? Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea?
Apparently, Voyage is the odd man out in their musical chairs.
High C

Post by High C »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:Oh cool. I like those comparison pics. I guess that exterior was on the Desilu/Culver lot?

Which reminds me, I was going to comment on the latest ME-TV eps, the first two parts of Londinium, but just never got around to it. I forget what I was going to say anymore, but comparing the exteriors above reminded me of the excuse for reusing the same set in the Londinium eps: "Decor in a police department varies little the world over." LOL. Sheesh <g>

Oh, I remembered one of my other comments was about Barbara having a bat on her suitcase, and she brought that over on the ship? Holy dead giveaways!
I apologize for the lateness of these comments, and I apologize to the people who like the Londinium trilogy, but for me, this was a low point in season 3, even compared to other bad ones. At least most of the other bad ones were single eps, so they were over quickly. This was three episodes of tedium with two villains who were more pompous than credibly evil.

It starts off inauspiciously with the 'bon voyage' scene IN A BLACK LIMBO SET!!! Honestly, it looks as bad as the Pied Piper scene from Nora.

Then there's the casting of an American, Rudy Vallee, as the rich Englishman Lord Pfogg. There are times when he slips into a low-class 'Cockney' accent, hardly the way a British lord would speak.

And from a plotting standpoint, it's a ridiculously weak reason for the American government to ask Batman to go over there. A bunch of rich people and museums are having their swag stolen? Wow, lives may be in danger. At least come up with a plot in which perhaps the crimes are undermining the British government, etc., something big that would necessitate Batman's presence. Weak.

And of course, for Batman purists, he is leaving Gotham City unprotected. So much for his mission statement.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I agree, I think this episode is loaded with many bad plot holes and pieces of bad writing. I'm more bothered by the fact that Commissioner Gordon is (1) also leaving Gotham City by ocean liner on what amounts to a junket trip at taxpayers expense (2) horns in on a local investigation that isn't his jurisdiction by shoving Superintendent Watson aside and (3) O'Hara gets a junket to fly all the way across the ocean for no good reason other than "Stafford Repp is under contract, we must use him". There is also no logical reason for Batman to suspect Ffog and the motive is never made clear.

I would also add that it was wrong to not have a second unit go to London and film scenes of the Batmobile driving through the streets of London with doubles driving.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I love the Londinium Episodes and here are a few reasons why.

1) The villains. Yes, fog isn't the greatest gimmick but I truly enjoy Lord Ffogg's smugness. From the first moment he encounters the Dynamic Duo he acts as if they are truly beneath his notice and treats them with contempt all the way through the three parter. He's the only villain to have removed Batman's memory! Unlike the series other criminals, he's operating from a position of respect and authority within his home country. It would never occur to Superintendent Watson that the prestigous Ffogg's would be criminal. It's a different element in a three-parter that's full of them.

But while Lord Ffogg acts superior, Lady Ffogg gives off a sly, evil joy in her actions. Look at her glee when Robin is captured, both outside the pub and within their home. Obviously, they're committing crimes for the pleasure in it, but while Lord Ffogg wants to establish his dominance, Lady Ffogg exults in their evil and worst of all, takes part in teaching her pupils how to be evil.

If that wasn't enough, you have Lady Prudence. What game was she playing exactly? I don't think she even knew. Confiding in Robin, then taking pleasure in his helplessness with the bee and in the dormitory. Was she hoping for the Dynamic Duo to crush the elder Ffoggs so she could take over? But couldn't help taking part in Robin's humiliation when she had the chance? Three different villains, all with their own unique criminal minds.

I'll continue this later...
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

epaddon wrote:(3) O'Hara gets a junket to fly all the way across the ocean for no good reason other than "Stafford Repp is under contract, we must use him".

I would also add that it was wrong to not have a second unit go to London and film scenes of the Batmobile driving through the streets of London with doubles driving.
A more plausible plot device would have been just have Gordon call back to GC and show O'Hara sitting at his desk giving an update on any nefarious activities.

There's no way, given the S3 budget, that they would have shipped the Batmobile to London, and also paid for extras. As noted, the bon voyage scene is done in an absurdly cheap manner--which is saying something for that final year.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Ironic that they're showing the first Mr. Freeze episodes tonight, especially given Batman's lament about his nemesis "being forced to live in 50 degree below temperatures." That's roughly expected to be the wind chill in Minnesota and Wisconsin (at least) in the next few days. :lol:
Gleeps, it's Batman

Dr. Shimel wrote:Ironic that they're showing the first Mr. Freeze episodes tonight, especially given Batman's lament about his nemesis "being forced to live in 50 degree below temperatures." That's roughly expected to be the wind chill in Minnesota and Wisconsin (at least) in the next few days. :lol:
LOL, I was thinking the same thing when it was airing.

Had to laugh when they said it was the middle of July, and then switched to Alfred tending a fireplace.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

These were my favorite Mister Freeze episodes. George Sanders was a more human Freeze than Wallach or Preminger. He was genuinely sorry he had to kill Robin and at times sorry he had to kill Batman. He seemed miserable living at such cold temperatures where the other two seemed to enjoy it. There was the spacesuit he had to walk around in before the freeze collar. His hideout was cool to with clouds of fog and orange hot paths.

It seems to me a line may have been tacked on to the dialogue when Princess Sandra expresses relief that her servant was alright. In part one Mister Freeze froze him then cut the bell pull. We see him fall over and hear a shattering sound. From the looks of the women it seems obvious he shattered. I think this line was added because the network or producers didn't want such a gruesome death on the show.

Also in this episode Robin has an exclamation that isn't Holy _ ! He shouts Leaping Lumbago the Diamond Exchange! ANy other examples of him exclaiming something other than HOLY __! ?
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

clavierankh wrote:Also in this episode Robin has an exclamation that isn't Holy _ ! He shouts Leaping Lumbago the Diamond Exchange! ANy other examples of him exclaiming something other than HOLY __! ?
Sure, there were! Robin's yells usually consisted of "Batman! HELP!" LOL :D
Gleeps, it's Batman

Gernot, seeing your location reminded me of the trivia I read on IMDB for this ep:
The "Giant Lighted Lucite Map of Gotham City" is a reverse image of St. Louis, right down to Forest Park, Fairground Park, Tower Grove Park, Lafayette Park, and Horseshoe Lake on the Illinois side, as well as the other river and road networks.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Does anyone know what episode is airing next week, since MeTV doesn't seem to be airing them in any sort of order? Wonder Woman has been in order so far. Since the Zelda episode aired last week, I wonder if they are starting with it and working their way backwards toward the beginning of the first season.

I agree that Saunders was the best of the three Freezes and brought a humanity to the character. I wonder if his portrayal had anything to do with Len Wein's attempt to humanize Freeze in issue 308 of the Batman comic or Paul Dini's excellent script on the Heart of Ice episode of Batman : The Animated Series.

However, I think Saunders definitely got the best script of the three Freezes as well. I think this two-parter was one of the best blends of humor and adventure and stand as two of the best episodes of the entire series. I think Heart of Ice, which I mentioned above, is one of the very best episodes of Batman : The Animated Series, so Freeze had episodes that were among the best on two different Batman series.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

The Riddler/King Boris episodes were listed on their website for next Saturday, followed on 1/18 by the first Mad Hatter appearance. If they are now beginning to show them in order, the Joker/High School episodes should be the following week.
Gleeps, it's Batman

gothosmansion wrote:Does anyone know what episode is airing next week, since MeTV doesn't seem to be airing them in any sort of order? Wonder Woman has been in order so far.
I'm sitting here watching the Wonder Woman episode right now and I see Gotham City hall in the background. :) I find these interesting to watch just for the 'spot the backlot' stuff. ;)

In Rats Like Cheese, Batman may have been wearing his super thermal B long underwear, but why wouldn't his lungs freeze like Mr Freeze said they would? Yeah, I know, just go with the flow. It's television. <g>