The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Re: The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I keep forgetting to read the To The Batpoles site whenever I watch an episode, so I was catching up on a few of them and found this in the Bookworm one:
Francine York, a former Vegas showgirl turned actress who would take on the role of an alien Amazon on the Lost in Space episode entitled the Colonists, portrayed Bookworm's aid, Miss Limpet. She was one of the few villians/aids to make it into the Batcave. but as Francine recalled, it wasn't easy. “One of the funniest things that happened during the show was when they took me into the Batcave and they had to give me gas. Well, every time they said ‘Let’s give her some Bat-Gas,’ the three of us broke up. It must have taken us about a half an hour to get that scene started. It was so funny; we couldn’t do it with a straight face.”
It'd be fun if they could find some bloopers of them breaking up like this to put on the DVD.

I still wonder how they got through the Catwoman seduction scene in one take, as Julie Newmar said they did, without laughing their heads off when it got to the Batplugs up his nose. LOL. I guess they got all of their laughing out of the way when they blocked out the scene and practiced the choreography. I mean that scene is at least 3 minutes long with *no* camera cutaways at all. I'm still impressed by it.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

It didn't really hit me until yesterday that ME-TV may have shown the first Egghead episodes on Saturday night for a specific reason--it being the night before Easter. This latest run of episodes has had no rhyme or reason (skipping episodes here and there), but they had shown the Clock King eps last week, just as had been done when originally shown.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Hmm, I never thought of the episodes being on for Easter. I just knew they came up next in rotation after the Clock King ones. And next week is Liberace. I don't know why they're skipping episodes here and there, other than maybe each episode is only contracted to be shown so many times, and some of them may have randomly been shown out of order before. I'm afraid I didn't see them the first time around on ME-TV, but when I started watching, my first episode was That/Scat Darn Catwoman, and I remember the first season Penguin eps Penguin Goes Straight/Not Yet He Ain't being shown around that time, definitely out of order. I believe the Straight/Ain't episodes were skipped during this past first season run, which is what leads me to believe they only have a contract to show them a certain amount of times. So it's possible that that's why they're skipping some. Only a guess on my part, though.

At least they're much more in order than they were when they were jumping all over the place in the latter part of last year. That was just crazy. They even showed one of the 3-parters (I believe the Penguin/Marsha ones) not too many weeks after they'd just shown them. :roll:

I'm just glad they showed the Egghead episodes at all, since people have said that The Hub refused to show them.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Once again, either ME-TV purposely timed it, or it's just another odd coincidence that last night's episodes began with Shame ripping off a car at "the biggest race in the country," with stock footage that looked strongly like it came from the Indianapolis 500. Of course, it was being held in Gotham City, so while Colonel Klink made an inexplicable appearance later on, Gomer Pyle was nowhere to be found. :lol:
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

One of the things I love about watching the show now is episodes I didn't like as a kid are some of my favorites now. I hated Tut but now those are the best.

The Shame episodes I remember vividly, because I thought he was kind of scary-- losing his temper and all, and then Robin getting shot in the foot, plus the little kid (Andy) brought it all around for me. I probably thought Shame was a lame villain but today I love this pair of episodes for what they are. Not the top of the heap by any means, but still solid.

Get me?
Got me?
Good.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

The kid (Eric Shea) was annoying when I was seven, and my opinion hasn't changed much (although when I found out he was the voice of Linus, I did get the "Good Grief!" closer). The fights in these two episodes were better than usual; especially the first one in the saloon.

One odd thing: The major part of the plot is building the souped-up getaway truck for the cattle heist, but we never see it being driven. :?

Too bad they didn't have Brandon deWilde play one of the henchmen - when Eric said "Come back, Shame!" for the fortieth time, Brandon would have told him "Aw, whyn't y'all shut up?" :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Gleeps, it's Batman

Ah, I had no idea about the Linus connection and the Good Grief line. It's not on Eric Shea's IMDB page. Unfortunately I'm not terribly impressed with the kid, cute as he is.

I find the Bat-diamond being there annoying also, probably because it reminds me of the previous Marsha episodes.

I'm totally confused with how Bruce would know they'd end up close enough to the Batcave entrance and on a back road so as not to be seen as Bruce and Dick on the Batcycle. Obviously they couldn't have gone shopping for Aunt Harriet in Gotham City because there's no way they could have predicted that Oakey Annie would ask them to take her 14 miles in the direction of Wayne Manor.

Is it safe to assume that the western street was on the 40 Acres lot? Does anybody know for sure? I don't know what Warner Bros' western street looks like. I just usually assume that anything I don't recognize was done at 40 Acres.

I like how they got the little old lady from Pasadena in there. I'm thinking those buildings at the used car lot must have been buildings on the Fox backlot.

Can anyone please tell me what Shame says at the end of this sentence? "Those cows don't stop comin' for no man. Not even you, Bat- ...." Bat what? I don't know if my sound has a glitch there, or if I just can't make it out, but it sounds like a 4-letter word that I can't type here. LOL.
(EDIT: Yep, there was a glitch either on MeTV or in my recorded disc because I checked out the version I'd downloaded from youtube and he said "Bat-fella". I'd have never figured that out from my recording this weekend. LOL.)
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Might not be the kind of glitch you were expecting - Me-TV speeds up the episodes so much that bits of words are getting clipped off (note how the music on Andy's radio sped up and slowed down too).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Gleeps, it's Batman

I think this was just a glitch because the picture seemed to jump when it was on a quick shot of Batman, which is what gave me a clue that I might have had a glitch in the recording.
The dialogue that sounded sped up to me was after the last bat-fight around the part with "May I shake your glove?" from Gordon.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I was just reading To The Batpoles, and it was Eric Shea's brother who was the voice of Linus, not Eric, but it's still a cool connection to the "Good grief" line.

Another interesting tidbit from Christopher Shea's IMDB page:
Christopher had a regular part as "Joey Starett" on the short-lived western TV series Shane (1966).
Gleeps, it's Batman

I'm ticked off that Me-TV skipped the Chad And Jeremy episodes.

Just caught up with watching The Puzzler episodes, and am I losing my hearing, or did Rocket say "Bulti-millionaire?" LOL

MeTV aired the Santa Claus batclimb scene, and seeing it reminded me of when Adam West was on the radio with Ralph and they did a Christmas skit. I listened to it last year, but don't know where to find it again. Anybody have a URL?

(Pic taken from the To The Batpoles site)
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Watched the Puzzler eps for the first time in many many years and I'd forgotten about the bit where Batman swats Robin to shut him up :lol: .

Also the "New Thatch" :lol: :lol: .

I did manage to track down the Retsoor, actually 1966 Learjet 24 serial # 24-116, registration N461F (changed several times, now N105GA). The newest photo I could find was from 2005:
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1448665/
Last info was that the registration had expired and it was stored at the Hot Springs, Arkansas airport in February 2006, missing the engines, with a For Sale sign on it.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Well, we've come full circle, as this thread started with the Sandman episodes. (Thanks for starting it, Andy!) If anybody still wants to discuss anything in any of the episodes, I'd still love to read it.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Part Two of the Sandman episode has two titles. "The Catwoman Goeth" and "A Stitch In Time". As I understand it , from the Eisner book I believe, the "A Stitch In Time" was the original episode and had almost no Catwoman. It was reedited to feature CW more. I wonder if both versions will be on the DVDs. Someone in another thread brought up that it would be interesting if the DVDs had a version of Olga and Egghead as the three parter it was intended to be. That wold be interesting too.
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

Now we don't get MEtv in Guam, but as mentioned in a previous post I've taken up temporary residence in Minneapolis and the cable system here does get MEtv. I was able to catch this evenings episodes(atleast the first half anyway... this is a small apartment and my mom never really cared for Batman). I see what people are saying, watching this on broadcast tv on other channels... I do notice speed ups in some of the dialogue and batfights, but tonight's airing wasn't so bad with that. I think there were some cuts made though. I think the batclimb to J. Paulines penthouse was shortened and the scene from Bruce's study to the batcave seemed abrupt and shortened as well.

On a different note... I think there is a scene cut. I can Imagine(and it seems quite obvious) that there might have been a scene with B&R in Gorden's office, because we see the batmobile leave the batcave and return to the batcave three minutes later. It will be interesting to see what the official release has that my master set does not.