The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: The ME-TV BATMAN Episode Discussion Thread

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:I do remember reading that Bonnie was named after someone's wife ... one of the producers maybe? Forgetting who now.
That was Dozier's secretary, who ended up marrying the widowed Sam Strangis--I think.

As most here know, the first Catwoman episode shown last night was the one that was repeatedly interrupted when it was originally shown, due to a crisis in a space flight. There was such a huge stink by fans (one indication of the show's popularity) that these episodes were the first ones rerun on May 10-11, 1966.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Dr. Shimel wrote:
Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:I do remember reading that Bonnie was named after someone's wife ... one of the producers maybe? Forgetting who now.
That was Dozier's secretary, who ended up marrying the widowed Sam Strangis--I think.
Thanks. :) I actually posted the article back in September that mentioned it, but couldn't remember the details.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I just looked up tv.com's trivia on The Purr-fect Crime, so I figured I'd post it:

http://www.tv.com/shows/batman-adam-wes ... rime-6154/
This episode was the second one chosen by GAF ViewMaster to make into one of their disk sets.

This is the only time the famed Atomic Pile was seen in use.

There was actually only one live tiger used on the show; the others in the pit were of stock footage.

In the Batman comics, The Catwoman's real name was Selina Kyle which was never used on the TV series.

Gato is Spanish for "cat"; Chat is French for "cat".

The address used for The Gato And Chat Fur Company was actually the former Brooklyn home address of Batman staff writer Stanley Ralph Ross.

Suzanne Pleshette was considered for the role of The Catwoman.

I didn't know the trivia on Suzanne Pleshette, Stanley Ralph Ross's address, or that it was the second title chosen for the View Master. Wonder what the first one was?
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:There was actually only one live tiger used on the show; the others in the pit were of stock footage.
In Adam West's biography (and also his DVD set) he makes a big deal of how the tigers in the pit were snapping at Burt Ward and how dangerous it was for Burt. I think Burt Ward mentions it in his book as well. So I wonder who is telling the truth here, TV.com or Batman (he would not lie, would he :) )? I remember the scene looking quite authentic but I have not watched it for awhile.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I would find it hard to believe there were actual tigers under an actor in any series when you could accomplish the same effect without danger using film footage.

Actor's memories are sometimes peppered with imagination.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I remember reading reading about another time Burt Ward complained about how dangerous the TV show was for him. It was in the very first episode, when Robin was laying unconscious in the Batmobile, and the Riddler was trying to steal the car. Fireworks were shooting out, and Ward complained he almost got seriously burned by them.

Were things really that dangerous back then?
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

I could see Burt getting burned by the fireworks but the tigers seem unlikely, it's like using a real shark in the motion picture. I suppose it could've happened but it seems doubtful.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I doubt the tigers in the pit story too.

Just watched Ring Of Wax/Give Em The Axe. I liked that they used a few slightly different looking shots of the Batmobile leaving from the Batcave and going down the road. At least they looked slightly different to me than the ones they keep using over and over.

Besides the Riddler dancing in the vault, there seems to have been one scene of the Batmobile going down a street on the Warner Bros backlot that appears to have been cut. Saw it in the recap, but don't remember it in the episode. There was a shot in part 1 of the Batmobile on the Warner lot, but the shot in the recap was yet a different one.

I like how they did the bat shadow in this and another episode. A very nice touch with early episodes that I guess wouldn't play as well once it went further down the campy path.

Uh, Batman, you might not want to talk about Aunt Harriet's cooking fixing up Robin in front of all those criminals. Must be like on soap operas where people move to the side of the room to talk, but nobody else in the room ever hears the conversations. LOL

I also had to laugh at The Riddler saying they needed to change back into their normal clothes because they'd be too conspicuous in the wax museum outfits. LOL

Batman to librarian: "Have you seen any unusual-looking people around here?" I think he used that line on Hollywood Palace also. :)
Gleeps, it's Batman

Tonight's episodes are THE CURSE OF TUT/THE PHARAOH'S IN A RUT.

According to IMDB, Yul Brynner, Robert Morley and Charlton Heston were considered for the role of King Tut.

TV.com says "The week this episode aired, TVGuide Magazine incorrectly named actor Robert Morley as the villain King Tut instead of Victor Buono." Another place it says it was the Batman cover issue of TV Guide that got it wrong. Is this true? Does anybody have that issue who can confirm that they got it wrong?

Interesting that Olan Soule is in one of these episodes, as he voiced Batman in later cartoons.

A little off topic, but I caught up on watching last week's Wonder Woman episode, and Gotham City Police Headquarters was shown quite a lot in this particular episode. It was used as The Bureau Of Printing And Engraving. Some of the shots reminded me of Scott's adventures on the Warner backlot, like this one, which is the view from the doors of GCPH:

(Scott, is it okay to link to your pics in a post like this?)

I believe those doors between Scott and that delivery truck were used as the eating place in the Wonder Woman episode, even using a shot from inside where you could see GCPH across the street. Gotham City Police Headquarters itself got a lot of screen time compared to normal quick establishing shots in an episode.

One thing I have to say is that I'm SO glad we got Adam West as Batman and not Lyle Waggoner. I have nothing against Lyle. I watched him for years on Carol Burnett and Wonder Woman. I'm just thankful that we got the great experience that is Adam West as Batman.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I was surfing around the internet and came across this article, so I thought I'd post it in the ME-TV thread.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... -1/SANNEWS
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote: (Scott, is it okay to link to your pics in a post like this?)
Certainly.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Tonight was the Bookworm. The bomb ejection scene gets me. It looks like the book flies out under it's own power. One would think the seat would pop up. I suppose it's possible the ejection system uses super pressurized air.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Noticed a couple differences between the first episode and the recap:
In "The Bookworm Turns" when Batman and Robin find Lydia in the bookmobile, Batman in closeup says "I'm going to put you to sleep for a little while" - then they cut to Lydia as Batman says "There will be no harmful effects," then he hits the spray button. In the recap, he is shown mouthing the last line, he hits the button and starts spraying the Bat-Sleep, then they cut to Lydia.
Also, in the first ep, Robin looks at Lydia when he says "This stuff always puts me to sleep." At that point they are in a two-shot. In the recap they are in a wide shot and Robin is looking down at the book when he mouths the line, plus the gas comes out of the book before he opens it (oops!). (Note also in the first ep, after he says "sleep" you can hear a soft "pop" just before he opens the book; he must be triggering the smoke device.)
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Gleeps, it's Batman

Good catch, crisbcritter. I've spotted little differences like that, too, in a few eps, but don't remember specific examples.

I watched last night's Fine Finny Fiends/Batman Makes The Scenes and I think we must be missing a scene because neither the Penguin nor his gang seem surprised that Batman and Robin are alive after the vacuum chamber.

I love when they use Batman and Robin's POV when they're exiting the Batcave. I like when they change up the driving sequences a bit.

Was was Alfred out buying cut-rate caviar? Did Bruce take a hit in the stock market or something?

Interesting how Bruce and Dick just leave their own millionaires party at Stately Wayne Manor without a goodbye or an explanation to the guests. I'm sure Alfred came up with some excuse to tell the party guests. I just hope it wasn't an impromptu fishing trip. lol

And what's with Chief O'Hara telling whoever to clear the exits for the Batmobile? Doesn't look to me like it's a problem to pull away from the front of the building we always see them pull up to. :?

MeTV is at it again, skipping episodes. Next week we're into season 2 with The Archer. I had wanted to see the one again where Batman takes Commissioner Gordon to the Batcave because MeTV airs part of a scene that was cut on the youtube version, although cutting that part makes the scene a little less ridiculous. The part they cut was Batman knocking Commissioner Gordon out and then asking people to carry him down to the Batmobile. Uh, gee, Batman, just give him a whiff of the Batgas *after* he's sitting in the Batmobile. LOL. I know, too complicated to film, time and moneywise, plus it adds to the zaniness of the show.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote: The part they cut was Batman knocking Commissioner Gordon out and then asking people to carry him down to the Batmobile. Uh, gee, Batman, just give him a whiff of the Batgas *after* he's sitting in the Batmobile. LOL. I know, too complicated to film, time and moneywise, plus it adds to the zaniness of the show.
The bit with the handkerchief was pretty funny, especially Gordon's reaction to the Batgas (like "oh, that smells ni-" *thud*), although they skip that formality later in the Batcave.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."