Wedding-Theme Episodes

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gothamite

Wedding-Theme Episodes

Post by Gothamite »

This topic is to talk about the marriage theme that is relatively frequent in the Batman Series. In Episode order...

Episodes 21-22 ( The Penguin Goes Straight / Not Yet, He Ain't )
Penguin attempts to marry Sophia Starr.

Episodes 49-50 ( The Devil's Fingers / The Dead Ringers
Chandell attempts to marry Aunt Harriet

Episodes 57-58 ( Marsha, Queen of Diamonds / Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds )
Marsha attempts to marry Batman.

Episodes 67-68 ( The Sandman's Cometh / The Catwoman's Goeth )
Sandman attempts to marry J. Pauline Spaghetti.

Episodes 87-88 ( King Tut's Coup / Batman's Waterloo )
King Tut attempts to marry Lisa Carson.

Episode 95 ( Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin )
Penguin attempts to marry Barbara Gordon.

Episodes 102-103 & 109 ( The Ogg and I / How to Hatch A Dinosaur & The Ogg Couple )
Olga want to marry Egghead and Batman.

Am I forgetting some ? :)
LittleLouisGroovy

Re: Wedding-Theme Episodes

Post by LittleLouisGroovy »

In Green Ice/Deep Freeze, does Mr. Freeze state that he intends to marry Miss Iceland? I don't remember if he mentions marriage specifically when he is holding her captive.

Also, in one episode, Catwoman suggests that Batman could reform her by marrying her.

I recall that there were "when are we going to get married?" conversations between Calamity Jan and Shame.
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Well, the topic of marriage is interesting in the episodes "Marsha, Queen of Diamonds" / "Marsha's Scheme of Diamonds." Marsha coerced Batman into agreeing to marry her for the Bat Diamond, at the threat of the lives of Robin, Commissioner Gordon, and Chief O'Hara.

Since she's forcing him to marry her, I think there's a statement being made as they're making their way down the church aisle and Marsha comments that Batman isn't a very happy or enthusiastic groom. Then Alfred and Batman's "real" long-lost "wife" (Aunt Harriet in disguise) show up to stop the wedding, clearly saving Batman from the fate of being married to a manipulative woman.

A bit later, when Marsha is deciding whether or not to give Robin another "cupid's dart," she remarks, "Hurry, before his bigamist partner gets here." Of course, we the viewers know that Batman was never actually married to anyone at anytime, but I think these episodes make some interesting statements regarding marriage.
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Mr. Deathtrap

Post by Mr. Deathtrap »

Citizens,

Sandman, Chandell, perhaps King Tut, and the Penguin twice try to make money the old fashioned way as plot points. I didn't realize this theme was so prevalent on the show.

As for the Queen of Diamonds, I like the way she had her wedding to Batman planned. "See to the details," she ordered her head henchman.

"Yes, your Highness," he replied. That was it. Hilarious.

Mr. Deathtrap
Tune in for their exciting conclusion. Same Bat-Time! Same Bat - Channel!