Dick as Bruce's ward (question)

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Robin's Girl

Dick as Bruce's ward (question)

Post by Robin's Girl »

Hello,
Another question regarding information for my fanfiction. I'm trying to figure out at what age Dick would no longer legally be Bruce's ward. I've researched online and have found the general age limit as either 18 or 21.

Then I tried to consider the fact that Dick was Bruce's teenage ward in the late 1960's, in case changes had been made before or since then. Now I'm no longer very concerned about the timeline or year, I just would like an age. I also considered Gotham City being as New York City, since in the show it seemed to take after New York, but now I don't care much about the particular state laws. I just want an age. :lol:

Any opinion or thoughts? (In my fanfic I think I'll still have Dick commonly known as Bruce Wayne's ward, even though he may be of age, to make things a bit easier.)
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Riddlersgurl

Re: Dick as Bruce's ward (question)

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Back then, you achieved primary majority at the age of eighteen, and final majority at the age of twenty-one.

Eighteen is the usual age for starting college, unless you're a child prodigy that graduates high school early. You usually finish it within three to four years, unless you're going for a doctorate or a master's.

So, if Gotham is simply another version of New York City, I'd say he'd have to be eighteen to achieve his primary majority.

Unless he sued for emancipation, which wouldn't work, considering that Bruce has given him a home and a parent figure since he was eight years old.

But, another question; since Harriet is Dick's great aunt, wouldn't SHE have custody over Dick? She's a blood relative and Bruce isn't. Wouldn't the court give her custody of her great nephew while Bruce provides them with a home?
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

That's what I was thinking, too. How is it that Aunt Harriet doesn't have legal guardianship over Dick instead of Bruce? But, considering Aunt Harriet was a character added by the show's creators, and Dick is always stated as being Bruce's "youthful ward" throughout the series, I suppose we'd just have to say that for whatever unknown reasons or circumstances the courts decided to appoint Bruce instead. Maybe Aunt Harriet didn't enter the picture until a bit later, or maybe it was because of her elderly age? And, as you've said, he's been with Bruce since he was eight years old, so that could have been a deciding factor. Whatever it may be, I will just follow the show in that regard. Obviously, since I'm putting Dickie in college, he is of age. ;)
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

What I would like to know is how the kept getting away with calling him 'Dick'.

I know that it's a valid shortening of his given name, Richard, but really!

Isn't it also a slang term for a male's.....um.....accoutrement?

Wouldn't the name Rick or Richie be a more palatable term?
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

My thoughts exactly. I never understood the nickname "Dick" for "Richard." I always thought Richie made more sense, or like you said, even Rick. To be honest, I never really liked "Dick" as a name because of the slang term's meaning. But since becoming a Robin/Dick Grayson fan, I overlook that for the most part and don't mind simply because I like the character. But there is always that one joke...in which someone says, "Robin, don't be a d---" :|
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

You couldn't do that on a kid's show!!! The censors would have had heart failure!!!

Seriously, one of my mother's brothers was named Richard, and we only ever called him 'Uncle Richie'.

Calling him 'Uncle Dick' would never have occurred to any of us.....mostly because he was built like a bull and had the same kind of temper.....touchy to say the least.