Most Dramatic Moment

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Jim Akin

Re: Most Dramatic Moment

Post by Jim Akin »

I just rewatched the Bookworm episodes, and I think they have a good shot (excuse the pun) as contenders for most dramatic two-parter. Besides Batman's vow to avenge Commissioner Gordon's "assassination" (discussed by many in this thread), there's a moment in part two when Batman realizes he's been fed a phony clue, that Bookworm has Robin, and that he only has minutes to find him before midnight. When Batman scolds Chief O'Hara for interrupting him as he puzzles out Bookworm's real scheme, there's real desperation in the delivery.

Add to this that Bookworm almost assaults his own gang members in a fit of rage; that the story at one point requires Batman and Robin to choose between concern for Aunt Harriet and Alfred (gassed in a book theft at Wayne Manor) and their duty as crimefighters; and that it has a "bonus" non-cliffhanger deathtrap (the giant cookbook). Scriptwriter Rik Vollaerts loaded these episodes with drama.

Befitting its literary theme, Vollaerts also gave the two-parter what may be the series' most erudite joke: When the crooks, listening for the toll of the bell with Robin attached, hear nothing at midnight, Lydia says "All I hear is a nightingale." This is an allusion to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" writer John Donne, and another of his famous poems, "To the Nightingale."

Cheers,

QQ
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

A few from me, some already have been mentioned:

Batman and Robin getting gunned down in public by the blanks.
Gordon's staged death.
The bomb in the batmobile exploding in the batcave.
Batman scaring the crook with his silhouette during Gordon and O'Hara's interrogation.
Joker in Wayne Manor, discovering the secret passage.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Quillpen Quirch wrote:I just rewatched the Bookworm episodes, and I think they have a good shot (excuse the pun) as contenders for most dramatic two-parter. Besides Batman's vow to avenge Commissioner Gordon's "assassination" (discussed by many in this thread), there's a moment in part two when Batman realizes he's been fed a phony clue, that Bookworm has Robin, and that he only has minutes to find him before midnight. When Batman scolds Chief O'Hara for interrupting him as he puzzles out Bookworm's real scheme, there's real desperation in the delivery.

Add to this that Bookworm almost assaults his own gang members in a fit of rage; that the story at one point requires Batman and Robin to choose between concern for Aunt Harriet and Alfred (gassed in a book theft at Wayne Manor) and their duty as crimefighters; and that it has a "bonus" non-cliffhanger deathtrap (the giant cookbook). Scriptwriter Rik Vollaerts loaded these episodes with drama.

Befitting its literary theme, Vollaerts also gave the two-parter what may be the series' most erudite joke: When the crooks, listening for the toll of the bell with Robin attached, hear nothing at midnight, Lydia says "All I hear is a nightingale." This is an allusion to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" writer John Donne, and another of his famous poems, "To the Nightingale."

Cheers,

QQ
You could also include how the "book bomb" nearly goes off in the batmobile.
Cuesak

Post by Cuesak »

The endings with Blaze and Suzy were the best. After all the suspense, twists and turns, bizarre villains plots, it was nice to see these episodes end on the somber note of seriousness and hope.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

brightknight wrote:A few from me, some already have been mentioned:

Batman and Robin getting gunned down in public by the blanks.
Gordon's staged death.
The bomb in the batmobile exploding in the batcave.
Batman scaring the crook with his silhouette during Gordon and O'Hara's interrogation.
Joker in Wayne Manor, discovering the secret passage.
I'm with you on a lot of these, but Joker stumbling upon the bat-poles had to be one of the funniest moments EVER
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Cuesak wrote:The endings with Blaze and Suzy were the best. After all the suspense, twists and turns, bizarre villains plots, it was nice to see these episodes end on the somber note of seriousness and hope.
Don't forget Finella in the S1 final scene.
Bat-Brony92

Post by Bat-Brony92 »

For me, it would have been in "Scat! Darn Catwoman!" when Catwoman fell into the river after she is pursued is by Batman and refuses to go straight that and of course Molly's death in the first episode
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

Another very dramatic moment was an episode I just watched yesterday. It was when Batman and Robin were being ambushed by Shame and his men and in an effort to get behind the Batmobile's bulletproof doors, Robin was shot. Thankfully it was just in the heel, but still made for a rather dramatic moment. I believe it was the only time either member of the team actually took a bullet.

Yet another, I thought, was when Bookworm lost his temper and was about to hit his moll with a giant book he picked up, until he noticed the title "The Art of Self-Control".
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

BatmanFan102 wrote:Another very dramatic moment was an episode I just watched yesterday. It was when Batman and Robin were being ambushed by Shame and his men and in an effort to get behind the Batmobile's bulletproof doors, Robin was shot. Thankfully it was just in the heel, but still made for a rather dramatic moment. I believe it was the only time either member of the team actually took a bullet.
Yet another episode that pokes holes in the "why doesn't he just shoot him?" cliche.

With the death traps, the villains are still toying with our heroes, giving them a chance to escape. When a gun is brought out, they're not playing around.
/|\=^..^=/|\
Commodore Schmidlapp

Post by Commodore Schmidlapp »

In The Curse of Tut two-parter, when Tut orders Nefertiti (Ziva Rodann) taken away and ultimately subjected to the Theban Pebble Torture, Nefertiti lets out one of the most terrifying screams.

Rodann's scream is so effective because it adds some real drama to an otherwise comedic situation.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Commodore Schmidlapp wrote:In The Curse of Tut two-parter, when Tut orders Nefertiti (Ziva Rodann) taken away and ultimately subjected to the Theban Pebble Torture, Nefertiti lets out one of the most terrifying screams.

Rodann's scream is so effective because it adds some real drama to an otherwise comedic situation.
In Tut's second appearance, his moll also renounces him in favor Batman.
cammy85

Post by cammy85 »

All three of them in the first two seasons turned on Tut eventually. Of course, in the third season, there wasn't enough time. :P
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

WayneGrayson wrote: I'm with you on a lot of these, but Joker stumbling upon the bat-poles had to be one of the funniest moments EVER
When they play around with The Joker, yes I agree. But the concept of Joker in Wayne Manor nearly stumbling along the batcave and putting two and two together is very dramatic.