Reversal! Episodes That MAY HAVE INFLUENCED The Comic

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Reversal! Episodes That MAY HAVE INFLUENCED The Comic

Post by Yellow Oval »

When I was watching the 3-part Zodiac Crimes episode I had a startling possible revelation. When the Joker puts Batman, Robin, and Venus into the water tank with the giant clam it is very similar to the death trap Joker puts Batman into in the iconic O'Neil/Adams story "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge" in the September '73 issue of Batman #251. In that issue, Joker throws a chained Batman along with an old man into a water tank with a giant shark. One panel shows Joker looking at the reader with the open-mouthed, razored teeth-filled shark behind him and I noticed how similar it looked to the clam's mouth in the episode when it opened its mouth coming at Robin. Is it possible later-on screenwriters were influenced by certain episodes they watched? I mean, the comic villain Maxie Zeus is a blatant reworking of King Tut because, again, if they used King Tut it would harken back to the TV series and people wouldn't take it as seriously, blah, blah, blah..... Has anyone noticed if any of the series made its way into the comics instead of the other way around (creation of Batgirl aside)?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"