Filmation Batman - 1968

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

riddler123

Re: Filmation Batman - 1968

Post by riddler123 »

This was a great show. I think "Bubi Bubi Who's got the ruby" may be the most bizarre episode title I've ever seen,
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I was so glad to finally own all the episodes on DVD, but I was disappointed in the box art which didn't show the actual animation style from the series. That 70's/80's look I think lost and continues to lose sales as people are more prone to look at the design of the artwork, rather than read the text. Hey! Wasn't there something about a photo of Batman wearing a watch shown in a newspaper where Batman comments on exactly that point? LOL
Music. BAT! Music.
tenderheart bear

Post by tenderheart bear »

I agree, it would have been good to have appropriate artwork for Warner's DC titles but they rarely do on vintage releases. I think the last 3 Super-Friends releases used this style too.

Mind you, The New Adventures of Superman seasons 2 & 3 used the right art on the DVD cover (more or less) so that's something.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

tenderheart bear wrote:I agree, it would have been good to have appropriate artwork for Warner's DC titles but they rarely do on vintage releases. I think the last 3 Super-Friends releases used this style too.

Mind you, The New Adventures of Superman seasons 2 & 3 used the right art on the DVD cover (more or less) so that's something.
Similar complaints have been made about the cover art on Warner Home Video's recent release of the Tarzan cartoon. Not sure why they insist on doing it.
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

It's funny my first exposure to Batman was the Second Filmation series with Adam west and Burt Ward (and that plus the original TV series being on every day after school) a few years later I ran into the older series and it threw me for a loop because Batman and Robin were actually throwing punches! The weird thing is I recall an episode of the latter series where Batman hit his head while chasing Clayface (it was in an auto-junkyard) The blow on the head caused Batman to lose his memory. Of course I sat through the entire series trying to find it only to discover no such episode. I guess I could have dreamed it but It seemed pretty real.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Golddragon71 wrote:It's funny my first exposure to Batman was the Second Filmation series with Adam west and Burt Ward (and that plus the original TV series being on every day after school) a few years later I ran into the older series and it threw me for a loop because Batman and Robin were actually throwing punches! The weird thing is I recall an episode of the latter series where Batman hit his head while chasing Clayface (it was in an auto-junkyard) The blow on the head caused Batman to lose his memory. Of course I sat through the entire series trying to find it only to discover no such episode. I guess I could have dreamed it but It seemed pretty real.
Golddragon71, do you have the 1978 Batman Filmation DVD set? Batman does lose his memory in an episode with Clayface but it's when he crashes (I believe) a truck or some other such vehicle into some sort of lot so you didn't dream it.

I have to say I really love all of Filmation's background music in this series that was also used on Shazam, Isis, Tarzan, and their animated Star Trek run. I wish a CD would be released with all that great atmosphere music.

As for them throwing punches back in 1968 - action on TV was acceptable until around 1969 or 1970 when Mothers of America protested too much violence on the screen for kids. This also helped get some series like The Wild Wild West taken off even though it still was a ratings winner. Makes one wonder why they didn't go after the evening news then...? ;)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Golddragon71

Post by Golddragon71 »

That is it! (I could have sworn I watched the whole series when i got the DVDs but the Dead Ringers is the episode I remembered all right!)
Thanks for the tip!

edit: funny, Every once in a while I go through my past posts just for the fun of it...
when I did this just now and found this post, it was on a night that I watched the Batman '66 episode "The Dead Ringers" featuring Liberace as Chandell and Harry.
"Someone might be able to substitute for Batman, for a very short time, but no one could ever replace him!"