What year and day did Batman '66 movie premiere on ABC-TV?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Doctor Shatterhand

What year and day did Batman '66 movie premiere on ABC-TV?

Post by Doctor Shatterhand »

Okay, I know that this is a silly trivia question but recently I lost a cousin to a long term illness. When we were in our pre-teen years the 1966 Batman film premiered on ABC in the summer. I can remember the laughter we both exuded in the family room as we watched it, however I could not remember what year or day it came on until late last night when I did some research in a newspaper archive. The film, which was the first time I had seen it because when it came to the theaters in 1966 I was down with the chicken pox and mumps, aired on July 4, 1971 at 9pm. I was more interested in seeing that film than the fireworks that were displayed outside my family's home.

Sorry if this trivia had come up before. Back to the bat poles.
clavierankh

Re: What year and day did Batman '66 movie premiere on ABC-T

Post by clavierankh »

Thanks for the info. Sorry about your cousin.
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

and if memory serves me right????????? that was a SUNDAY NITE????????,,i remember being bummed out cause i missed it thet nite,,,with it being the 4 th of july,,,,& had seen the previews all week before....thats o.k because we now OWN the movie !! {d.vd. blu-ray that is }
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I missed the first showing of it on ABC due to it being July 4th, but ABC aired it a second time on September 5th, 1971. Both showings were on Sunday, "ABC's Sunday Night Movie."

NOTE: I used an entire roll of Kodak film (24 exposure) Kodachrome (the expensive stuff) taking photos of the TV. NONE of them worked (really? LOL). My Mom was upset at me because she didn't know I did that and it cost her $5 to get the roll developed and we wound up with nothing but colored stripes etc. (my DUH!) moment in time. ;) Hey I was only 8!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Doctor Shatterhand

Post by Doctor Shatterhand »

Don't worry, my kids did the same thing 10 years ago and the film and development was much higher. ;)
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Ah, but $5 in 1971 would be equal to say $20 at least today. $5 in those days could make an entire meal for four. McDonald's hamburgers were only 29 cents, a loaf of bread was a dime or 15 cents, a gallon of milk was 28 cents and a gallon of gas was 19 to 21 cents.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

Can you imagine the case of sticker shock that someone from the early 70's would have at some of the prices today?

I paid nearly $5.00 for a gallon of milk the other day, and considered it to be cheap.

I should look into getting my own cow; or at least a goat! :lol:
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Riddlersgurl wrote:Can you imagine the case of sticker shock that someone from the early 70's would have at some of the prices today?

I paid nearly $5.00 for a gallon of milk the other day, and considered it to be cheap.

I should look into getting my own cow; or at least a goat! :lol:
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ugeek:
Music. BAT! Music.
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Another truly silly piece of trivia from July 4, 1971 is that 60's tv fan was born somewhere around 5 am on that very day. Unfortunately, I do not remember first- hand any other details of that particular day.

Seriously, though, July 4th was always a pretty cool day for a birthday, and its pretty neat now to realize that the '66 movie made its television premier on the same day that I made my own premier.

Another interesting sidebar: according to The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows by Tim Brooks and Earl Marsh, the last broadcast of Hogans Heroes on CBS occurred on 7/4/71.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

60s TV Fan, so did you watch the move that night?
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

clavierankh wrote:60s TV Fan, so did you watch the move that night?
He DVR'ed it and watched it eight years later. :lol:
Batmanfan71

Post by Batmanfan71 »

I was 3 months at the time, so I missed it :D

Mike
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

clavierankh wrote:60s TV Fan, so did you watch the move that night?
Well, as far as I remember, I didn't have any other plans for that evening, so I would hope I caught at least part of it! Hey, how many of us can truly say we're "life- long" fans! :lol: