Julie as the devil on Twilight Zone: early Catwoman?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

chrisbcritter

Julie as the devil on Twilight Zone: early Catwoman?

Post by chrisbcritter »

The other night I watched the 1963 Twilight Zone episode "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville" for the first time, and I was very surprised by Julie Newmar's performance as a female version of the devil (aka Miss Devlin) - it was amazingly like the persona she used playing Catwoman (and the little horns were a foreshadowing of cat ears to come!). IMDB and Hulu have it right here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4007372569/

And her cavalier dismissal of Albert Salmi's character towards the end reminds me of when she'd dismiss the Duo, leaving them in a Bat-trap... I can't help but think this performance must have gotten her the role of Catwoman, although I haven't seen it discussed here - does anyone here know if it was a factor?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
catwoman-henchman

Re: Julie as the devil on Twilight Zone: early Catwoman?

Post by catwoman-henchman »

Actually quite a few roles Julie's plahyed are "amazzigly like the persona she used playing Catwoman." That's why she was offered the role (which, she's mentioned quite often, she only accepted because brother John told her to!)

Her tall, gracefully lithe moves were evident as Stupefyin' Jones in "Li'l Abner," and her ability to be complex, physical and intellectual led Stirling Silliphant to write two episodes of "Route 66" especially for her (hoping to spin her off into her own series as a motorcycling adventurer). The "Twilight Zone" episode was aired quite a few years before "Batman," and since there were no re-runs yet (especially that one year the show was stretched to an hour) it's doubtful it was prominently remembered by those who were casting around for Catwoman.

But you're right, Miss Devlin was a good, striking role for Julie, and one that's fondly remembered. It's one of the three roles (Rhoda the Robot and Eleen on "Stark Trek") represented on highly sought collector trading cards. I think a signed "Miss Devlin" card can go for $100 or more on eBay!
dell

Post by dell »

It has been a long time since I saw the episode, but I remember her look and her attitude. Your question is a good one and I have wondered the same thing myself as I agree that Miss Devlin is very Catwomanish. Or is Catwoman very Miss Devlinish?
dell
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

She did come off as a predator that's caught sight of some juicy prey, like a cat.
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

I first saw that episode only a few years ago, and my first though was in a couple of years she'll be wearing something else in her hair and be just as evil. Though I think we all agree she looks better in her cat-suit than those dresses!! :)
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Obviously not the same show, but prior to The Beverly Hillbillies, Buddy Ebsen appeared in a November 1960 episode of the two-year drama series, "Riverboat," where he played almost a carbon copy of Jed Clampett. One year later, he was filming the pilot for BH.

Interestingly, the young lady who played his daughter in the episode was the lovely Sherry Jackson, who, of course, played Pauline in the final first season Riddler shows.
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

Speaking of Bat-villians in Twilight Zone episodes, you should definately check out episode 111 from season 4 called "Printer's Devil". It stars Burgess Meredith as Mr. Smith. In this episode the way he portrays Mr. Smith is very similar to the way he 3 years later would portray The Penguin. Everything from his facial expressions, mannerisms, the fact that he smokes a cigar & speaks the same (just without the quacks) is incredibly similar to The Penguin. It is also a pretty good episode, definately enjoyable to watch. If anyone else get's a chance to watch it be sure to comment & let me know if you also see these similarities. I'd love to hear your opinions.

By the way, my name is Korey & i'm technically new to the board, however i have been an avid reader of the posts here for some time, just never posted anything before now. I'm a huge bat-fan. I'm also going next week the Alamo City Comic-Con to meet Mr. West & Mr. Ward for the first time, which i am super excited about!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Welcome aboard, Korey. That TZ appearance was the last of Burgess' four appearances on the show, and was the only one in which he played a villain--this time, it was the Devil himself.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Welcome to the world of posting, Korey!
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

They did a great job with the horns.
Attachments
Miss Devlin.jpg
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

The horns are OK. They should really be emerging from the top of the forehead. These much like her soon to be worn cat ears look like they're bobbypinned in place.