can the actors wear the costumes now?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

rajung

can the actors wear the costumes now?

Post by rajung »

Since the release of the toys with likeness, can the actors now wear any items during appearances from the series such as cowl,gloves ?
Seems that I seen Adam say many years ago that he was forbidden from wearing any of those items,I think back in the 90's after the Keaton movies.
Riddlersgurl

Re: can the actors wear the costumes now?

Post by Riddlersgurl »

He'd be a bit too heavy to wear it, wouldn't he? As well as Burt Ward. Both of them have gained weight since then.

Julie could fit into it maybe, she's always been on the slender side.

Yvonne Craig could possibly fit the gloves, boots, cowl and cape. As for the bodysuit...uh, no.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

rajung wrote:Since the release of the toys with likeness, can the actors now wear any items during appearances from the series such as cowl,gloves ?
Seems that I seen Adam say many years ago that he was forbidden from wearing any of those items,I think back in the 90's after the Keaton movies.
I was thinking the same thing the other day - the powers that be should really think about how letting them wear the outfits improves their bottom line in the long run - not to mention preserve the history of the character in the here and now while they can.

Fans aren't going to be confused by a Christian Bale vs Adam West vs Keaton/Clooney/Kilmer/Affleck Batman. Well, maybe some would - but who cares - it's all the more Batman to market with merchandise!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

In the same vein, I've noticed that on Family Guy, Batman has been depicted in the cutaway bits once in a while. Even though Adam is on the show he doesn't voice Batman - legal issue?
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I don't think any of them have any interest in putting the suits on again.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I agree with Andy.

And for the record, Adam appeared in full costume in a magazine photoshoot around 1995, with a new cowl and costume created by Wally Wingert. You can read up on it over at Wally's page here:

http://www.wallyontheweb.com/archive/ba ... ostume.php

And later still, Adam DID wear the cowl with Ralph Garman on "Living In TV Land" in 2006.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I don't think we've seen the last of AW wearing the costume - I bet he appears in it for something related to the TV show when it is released on DVD.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

I love the story of Adam using Wally's outfit for the 95 shoot - I think he looks remarkable for his age and gives creedence to his claim of being capable to play the role again.
Always been curious as to why he crosses his arms across the Bat emblem....
I know it's reminiscent of a pose he did back in the 60s. However I also wondered if it was partly due to Adam not being able to be seen in full costume at the time due to WB restrictions....
Cheers,
Terry
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Aussie Batfan wrote:I love the story of Adam using Wally's outfit for the 95 shoot - I think he looks remarkable for his age and gives creedence to his claim of being capable to play the role again.
Is this photo shoot available to see online anywhere? Also, is the whole half hour from, I think, the E! channel online anywhere that Adam and Ralph Garman were in? I saw the 7 minute piece on youtube and loved it, including the ending where Adam had the cowl on!

Also, I found this clip on youtube. Whose cowl is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wltm1pW6HMg

Haven't come across the interview yet, though :(
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

here's a nice sized photo, from the archives of the old board:

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 5196/16#16

And further down in that thread, Scott says that no other photos were released from that shoot:

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 5196/29#29
Gleeps, it's Batman

batbelfry wrote:here's a nice sized photo, from the archives of the old board:

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 5196/16#16

And further down in that thread, Scott says that no other photos were released from that shoot:

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 5196/29#29
Thanks so much! I never would have thought to look in a Christopher Reeve thread to find a picture of Adam in costume 30 years later, so even if I'd gone searching on my own, the chances of finding it would have likely been slim to none.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I guess it goes to show that it's best to keep threads on topic (even though that can be hard sometimes!)
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Gleeps, it's Batman

Batfanman wrote:I guess it goes to show that it's best to keep threads on topic (even though that can be hard sometimes!)
That's true, although I'd opt for something being posted in the wrong place rather than not being posted at all. At least then it gets seen. Perhaps the picture is in another thread somewhere on the old forum, but I never have any luck with message board search engines. I was just searching for something on both boards right now to see if it was posted before, and I'm coming up dry, just like every time I search on something.

And now I've gone off topic in this thread. LOL. Sorry.

I'll bring it back on topic and ask if Adam ever travels with a cowl or gloves anymore. Not to put them on, but are they ever on the table with him where the autographs are signed? Not necessarily the originals, but replicas just to have there at the conventions as a neat little item on the side. Just wondering. I think I'd seen a really old picture of a cowl on the side, but can't say I've taken notice of any in the more recent videos of conventions.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

It's probably tantamount to heresy to say this here of all places, but I always thought it was kind of sad that Adam was still making personal appearances in the costume well into the early '80s. I'm all for celebrating the show and its stars, but I'm much happier for these guys now that they can show up in whatever feels comfortable and get the same cheers and smiles as if they squeezed into a ten- or fifteen-year old costume, on the assumption no one would pay to see them without those get-ups.

The whole "we paid for Batman, so by gum you'll show up as Batman" mindset is something I associate very much with the past, and not in a good way. I know George Reeves hated showing up in department stores (and once even delivering groceries!) in the Superman costume because of contractual obligations, and I have to think it was similarly degrading for any actor who wanted to be appreciated for his talent and not his wardrobe.

I've seen stories about Adam lugging the cowl around the country, and after it was pretty much worn out, it got that horrible "gila-monster" makeover so he could push it along a few more miles, after that. Personally I'd consider this the "dark days" of his career.

I don't know Adam and I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth, but I've got to think that the day he realized he could show up without the tights and cape and have everyone be every bit as happy as before must have been a great day, indeed.

In other words, I think the real question is, "Do the actors still have to wear the costumes?" And thankfully, the answer is no.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

What Sprang said x100!
Agree completely