John Astin May Have Noot Been Good As The Riddler, But . . .

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

TBolt

Re: John Astin May Have Noot Been Good As The Riddler, But .

Post by TBolt »

they should have just rewrote it to use the Cluemaster instead, another villain that would have filled the same sort of role as the Riddler, and given Astin his own character to create.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

What always irked me was the mustache. From then until now Riddler never, ever had a mustache and it really distracted me from Astin's great replacement performance. I found with him not being clean-shaven for the role it all the more emphasized that Frank Gorshin was not there. Does anyone know if this was another Caesar Romero-type incident regarding 'to shave or not to shave'?
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Yellow Oval wrote:What always irked me was the mustache. From the until now Riddler never ever had a mustache and it really distracted me from Astin's great replacement performance. I found with him not being clean-shaven for the role it all the more emphasized that Frank Gorshin was not there. Does anyone know if this was another Caesar Romero-type incident regarding 'to shave or not to shave'?
The producers probably insisted on it since he was just coming off the Addams Family, and it would have caused more of a stink with fans. Of course, at that point, maybe it would given the show some needed juice.

Prior to AF, Astin had been clean shaven for "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" in 1962-63
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I think it's more likely Astin had grown the mustache & didn't want to shave it. I didn't find it distracting nearly as much as Astin's other physical differences from Gorshin. Height, weight & acting style. But I enjoyed Astin in the part. I liked how he worked the cane. The main problem was, this was the least exciting Riddler episode up to that point, and the cake deathtrap was boring and stupid beyond endurance.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Well, mustache distraction aside, I enjoyed John Astin's version, but there's no getting around that Frank with his multi-talents took the Riddler to an unobtainable height for others. In the comics Riddler was nowhere near the major villain he became afterwards thanks to Frank pushing him into the stratosphere on both the small screen and in print (and maybe the big-screen if you include the '66 film).

Many have seen this, but for those who haven't - the talents of the much-missed Mr. Frank Gorshin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YX4d2s0xs
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
BatmanFan102

Post by BatmanFan102 »

As a youth in the 1970s, I hated seeing John Astin as Riddler.

As a middle-aged man in the 2010s, it was a real delight and treat to see Astin's portrayal and interpretation of Riddler.

I loved it when he and his henchmen walked away singing "Happy Anniversary" to the Dynamic Duo as they were sinking into the cake.

I loved it when he said "I'll have Gotham City by the THROAT!" and he places his hands around his throat so intensely and manically.

It was amusing when he got upset saying "It's nothing but a flashlight....Flashlight!...FLASHLIGHT!!!!!!!!"

Also loved the line (don't remember it exactly)... "Tell me once again my gutless knaves...am I not the KING?!?!?! KING KING KING!!!!!!!"

But my favorite moment with Astin as Riddler was when he walked up to his henchmen and his moll who were seated at a table...

"How...can...you...LAME BRAINS...PLAY CARDS AT A TIME LIKE THIS?!?!?!?!?!"
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

BatmanFan102 wrote:It was amusing when he got upset saying "It's nothing but a flashlight....Flashlight!...FLASHLIGHT!!!!!!!!"
I absolutely loved that! He gave us a few treats in the episode that Gorshin, brilliant as he was, would not have.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the quicksand deathtrap the first one in which Robin didn't panic?
English Invader

Post by English Invader »

This was actually one of the first episodes I ever saw so John Astin was my first Riddler. I like the story a lot.

My favourite Gorshin episode is the silent era tribute with Francis X Bushman as a guest star. Gorshin does a brilliant Charlie Chaplin impression at the beginning.

I think it would be a tough call for me to choose a favourite between the silent era, John Astin and the pilot.
Quarhog

Post by Quarhog »

I've long thought that the Riddler's bodysuit would have looked seriously sexy on a suitably mad, greedy and unscrupulous female (an idea that happily is now being taken up by female cosplayers). Sandra Bernhard comes to mind...
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

I'm getting really curious about Evil Roy Slade as well as I'm Dickens He's Fenster, so I"m getting one from e-bay, and the other from my library - you know, LIE BERRY CAKE!

I just saw a bunch of listings for "Slade" on e-bay going anywhere from $2 to $4 - not including shipping, I'm afraid.
WayneGrayson

Post by WayneGrayson »

English Invader wrote: I think it would be a tough call for me to choose a favourite between the silent era, John Astin and the pilot.
Not for me - it's the silent era caper for me uber alles. :D Gorshin made me laugh out loud every minute he was on screen, and I've always felt sorry for poor Burt Ward - being forced to keep a straight face on that conveyor belt with Gorshin cackling right in his face.
Bat-Tiger

Post by Bat-Tiger »

Aston as Riddler was like Halloween 3 without Michael Myers. There was nothing wrong with it on its own, but everyone was expecting something else.

When an actor has such an iconic performance such as Gorshin's Riddler, it's a little harder to accept someone else in the role, no matter how good they may be.

(This is the big problem I have with Jared Leto as Joker.)
/|\=^..^=/|\