Does Cosplay have any boundaries?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Waterratt

Does Cosplay have any boundaries?

Post by Waterratt »

Does Cosplay have any boundaries? Are there things you shouldn't do as a Cosplayer? This was a question one of my friends posted on facebook. My answer is yes, there are boundaries. I feel as a cosplayer, you are more than a person in a costume, you represent the image of that character. I do not think that a cosplayer should be rude or off color in language or actions when around other cosplayers or con attendees.

What do you think?
Steve Rosinski

Re: Does Cosplay have any boundaries?

Post by Steve Rosinski »

I agree. When in costume, I try to remain in character and be true to that character. I just ask myself WWAD (What Would Adam Do)?

When I used to work Hollywood Boulevard, I would see other characters smoke or swear in front of children. It was very disheartening.
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Honest question here... what exactly is "cosplay"? Is it largely done at conventions and such? Is it done "for hire", or mostly for your own enjoyment? Steve, you say you used to "work Hollywood Blvd.", again, was this "just for fun", or do you work for tips like some musicians and street performers? I just find the whole idea kind of interesting, thanks for any input.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I always figured that the boundaries were those of good taste; i.e. no nudity, crudity, or lewd acts.

:lol: :lol:

I've seen some OUTRAGEOUS costumes at DragonCon, and while some of them skirted the edge of good taste, nothing really went over it.

I guess it depends on how much of an exhibitionist you are.

For example: I saw this one woman, about two years ago in Atlanta, dressed as Poison Ivy.

Now don't get me wrong, the costume was decent, but she was REALLY skirting the edge of good taste by having a costume that was really high cut in the back, and going commando besides.

Not really something I wanted to see, but since SHE was the one in the costume, I kept my mouth shut. After all, I might have had to see it, but SHE had to wear it! :lol:
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

60's TV Fan,

I dressed up like Adam on Hollywood Boulevard for the same reasons I do it at conventions: for the love of the character and for the fun of it. I love seeing people's reactions to me. Some would speak to me as if I were Adam, thanking me for being their baby sitter when they were little. LOL It is true that the tourists may tip for taking a picture with them. I never turn down gratuities, but also I do not request them or rely on them to make a living. However, some people do dress up as characters on the Boulevard as a job. My exposure on the Walk of Fame did lead to other things, like an appearance in costume on Jimmy Kimmel (he films across the street) as well as paid offers to appear at special events. Recently I appeared as 60's Batman at an event at Caeser's Palace here in Las Vegas.

I hope that was helpful.

Boulevard Pics:

Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Steve Rosinski wrote:My exposure on the Walk of Fame did lead to other things, like an appearance in costume on Jimmy Kimmel (he films across the street) as well as paid offers to appear at special events. Recently I appeared as 60's Batman at an event at Caeser's Palace here in Las Vegas.
Cool, Steve! What year were you on Kimmel? Anything to do with the recent release of the 66 Batman stuff, or was it some years back?
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

It was back in 2011. It was just part of one of his comedy bits. A non sequitur really.
60s TV Fan

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Thanks for the reply, Steve. It is pretty cool, and I bet kind of a thrill when people talk to you as if you were Adam! Nice job on the costume, as well.
Steve Rosinski

Post by Steve Rosinski »

It is pretty cool. And thanks for your comments.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Does it technically qualify as "cosplay" (or any kind of "play") if it's done for profit? I'd say those guys who hang out in costume on the street year-round asking for money to get your picture taken with them are better termed "street performers" (or, if I'm feeling less charitable, high-end panhandlers).

To me, "cosplay" suggests folks who choose to dress up purely for fun. Isn't it short for "costume play"? Doing it for money would be "coswork" or maybe "cosbusking"

I think if you draw the line in this way (fans vs. performers), the "boundaries" become self-enforcing. If someone loves a character enough to leave the house dressed in truly outlandish fashion -- setting themselves up for ridicule and derision as much as cheers and applause -- it's logical to assume they'd care enough about that character's ideals and ethics not to disgrace them with inappropriate behavior. I can't imagine someone would spend the money required to assemble a show-accurate '66 Batman costume only to wear it in public acting rude, foul-mouthed, etc. Or (and this might be just me) even smoking or drinking alcohol. If you want to BE that character, then you'll act like him as long as the costume's on.

On the other hand, if you're just in it for the money, then the sky's the limit; you might engage in any sort of behavior. Anyone willing to rip off someone else's intellectual property to collect gratuities (ie: hand-outs) is probably not going to think twice about acting like a creep in front of kids. And I could see a company or organization maybe intentionally mocking a character by paying a performer to wear a costume and then act in ways totally contrary to expectations. But again, that's not cosplay, that's work-for-hire.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."