Biggest "Star" When Playing A Villain

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Re: Biggest "Star" When Playing A Villain

Post by Dr. Shimel »

A long-ago thread discussed the push to get Spencer Tracy, only to get shot down with a nasty comment from the nearly-dying Tracy.
noman

Post by noman »

For me the Big Four of Guest Villians
Ceaser Romero as Jack Napier/Joker
Frank Gorshin as Edward Nigma/Riiddler
Burgess Meredith As Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin
Julie Newmar as Shelia Karyle/Catwoman
Riddler 66

Post by Riddler 66 »

As per biggest "Star" at the time, I would nominate Cliff Robertson, who although having done much A list TV, for example two good episodes of Twilight Zone and one of those with John Astin, was still an A list leading man at the time. I would probably agree that Eli Wallach and Shelly Winters were next as per their being in A list films then as well. Most of the rest were now mainly character actors, TV stars or slightly fading film stars, but generally still recognizable names. It might be interesting to note who is still the most easliy recognizable a generation later, to which I'd say Vincent Price and Eli Wallach would be at the top of that. Sadly most younger people wouldn't know who Walter Slezak was today for example.
The trigger: one of my riddles!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Robertson was one of the stars who did the show (the first time anyway) "for his kids." The second go-around was undoubtedly due to the fact that he'd get to work with his then-new wife, Dina Merrill.
High C

Post by High C »

Riddler 66 wrote:As per biggest "Star" at the time, I would nominate Cliff Robertson, who although having done much A list TV, for example two good episodes of Twilight Zone and one of those with John Astin, was still an A list leading man at the time. I would probably agree that Eli Wallach and Shelly Winters were next as per their being in A list films then as well. Most of the rest were now mainly character actors, TV stars or slightly fading film stars, but generally still recognizable names. It might be interesting to note who is still the most easliy recognizable a generation later, to which I'd say Vincent Price and Eli Wallach would be at the top of that. Sadly most younger people wouldn't know who Walter Slezak was today for example.
I'd add that considering Joan Collins is still alive and in the news, many younger people know who she is.

Would agree that actors such as Slezak, George Sanders, Van Johnson, etc. aren't as recognizable to younger folks.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Dr. Shimel wrote:A long-ago thread discussed the push to get Spencer Tracy, only to get shot down with a nasty comment from the nearly-dying Tracy.
If I recall right, Spencer Tracy said his grandkids wanted him to, and he'd do it, but only if the episode was called "The Death of Batman". They should have called his bluff and titled an episode 'The Death of Batman" (followed by "The Un-Death of Batman"? The Resurrection Bat-Plan? ). But he was just being factious. I'd have to agree that Cliff Robertson was the biggest star -- at his peak -- to appear on the series. Jill St John probably 2nd, but she had done other TV. Shelly Winters was still fairly young, but she was far past her prime film-wise. I think seeing her name in the credits made a lot of people roll their eyes. It does me. Liberace, not huge by 1967, was still an event. Walter Slesak was the only international star to appear. And he had an incredibly good episode to boot. By sheer biggest at their peak, Tallulah Bankhead hands down. Of course, what would have been a very episode for her and the series in season one was made unexciting and cringe-worthy by the crack season two production team. :roll: Whew. What a difference a year makes.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

^^^ wow, my fantasy casting thinking mind is trying to figure out Steiger and Douglas, both would have been great for the show. Kirk would have made a pretty cool Two Face.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
High C

Post by High C »

TBolt wrote:^^^ wow, my fantasy casting thinking mind is trying to figure out Steiger and Douglas, both would have been great for the show. Kirk would have made a pretty cool Two Face.
I'll say it again, and I'm not a huge Rod Steiger fan so this is unbiased. As big a name as he was at that time, if I'm Dozier, I move heaven and earth to figure something out and get him a villain shot.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Steiger? Clayface.

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!