New Bat Site - Archival Documents

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Riddler 66

New Bat Site - Archival Documents

Post by Riddler 66 »

Check out this new bat website. It's loaded with archival documents.
http://www.batmantelevisionseries.com/

I literally lost sleep staying up reading when I found it, from a link on the Mid Atlantic Nostalgia's Con's Facebook page. It pretty much rocks. I was really fascinated by some of the internal letters on guest stars.

Holy History, what are you waiting for!!!???
The trigger: one of my riddles!
dodgr31

Re: New Bat Site - Archival Documents

Post by dodgr31 »

I found that very interesting, thanks for the link. Definitely will spend some time going over all of it...
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

That's a great find! Too bad the letters weren't scanned just a bit bigger to make them easier to read. Holy eye strain! The ones I've read so far are interesting, though!

And LOL at the cartoon:

http://www.batmantelevisionseries.com/# ... n/imageg24
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

It's from the same scans of the William Dozier archive that's been floating around for ages as PDF files. Somebody just took the time to put them on a website as a gallery. Well done.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent Website.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

Holy History!

Thanks for the link! Can't wait to read all this.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Ah always nice to come across a new Batman 60's website. Seen some of the files around the internet before. Like Scott says its nice to see someone has made the time to put these together. Very interesting reads - bat history at its finest!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Gotta love the fact that Dozier was too cheap to pay for his own SAG card, and just tacked the cost onto the show's budget.

Speaking of Dozier, his (presumed) first choice of Ma Parker: Bette Davis, would have likely been less of a headache than complaining Shelley Winters.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Pretty cool. Most of the stuff I already own, but it's nice to score the others.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I really found it interesting that Pussycat was apparently Poison Ivy in the original shooting script.
The Booking Worm

Post by The Booking Worm »

Interesting to see that Adam was apparently upset to find that Lyle Waggoner also screen tested for the role, and that Dozier refers to Burt Ward by his real name.

http://www.batmantelevisionseries.com/# ... n/imageuww
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

The Booking Worm wrote:Interesting to see that Adam was apparently upset to find that Lyle Waggoner also screen tested for the role, and that Dozier refers to Burt Ward by his real name.

http://www.batmantelevisionseries.com/# ... n/imageuww
I found that letter interesting too. I also found it interesting that he could afford to live right on the beach in Malibu *before* he was Batman. Did guest shots and spaghetti westerns pay that well? Although I guess he did have some steady work prior to that in The Detectives, which I've never seen and I guess doesn't show up in places like ME-TV or COZI.
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Some episodes of "The Detectives" were shown during the early years of TV Land, but since they abandoned their original concept of a nostalgia network, it hasn't been seen since.
otrjerry

Post by otrjerry »

Actually, while I don't want to correct anyone on a message board, the scans on that site are not from circulating PDFs of the Dozier archive. An author named Martin Grams was responsible. He had two large boxes of materials related to the BATMAN tv series and scanned every page and gave a CD rom of the scans to a friend of mine to create the site. As a way of saying thank you for the scans, he promoted the Nostalgia Convention on the site, which Grams is involved with, which had BATMAN cast at the show in past events and benefits the St Jude Children's Research Hospital. I have been to Marty's house many times and his basement is loaded with archival documents for movies radio and television shows. I asked Marty yesterday at a toy and collectible show what he did with the papers for BATMAN and he said he gave then away. He scanned the documents so he could "clean house".

Copies of the disc have been made for two friends, according to Marty, solely to create an off site back up. No doubt those discs will start circulating. Marty also told me he had over 3,000 scans and the website you are referring to has about 800. He refrained from posting financial papers and others that pose potential legal issues. I am hoping he will send me. Copy of the disc. I want to see what the 2,000 remaining scans contain.
High C

Post by High C »

otrjerry wrote:Actually, while I don't want to correct anyone on a message board, the scans on that site are not from circulating PDFs of the Dozier archive. An author named Martin Grams was responsible. He had two large boxes of materials related to the BATMAN tv series and scanned every page and gave a CD rom of the scans to a friend of mine to create the site. As a way of saying thank you for the scans, he promoted the Nostalgia Convention on the site, which Grams is involved with, which had BATMAN cast at the show in past events and benefits the St Jude Children's Research Hospital. I have been to Marty's house many times and his basement is loaded with archival documents for movies radio and television shows. I asked Marty yesterday at a toy and collectible show what he did with the papers for BATMAN and he said he gave then away. He scanned the documents so he could "clean house".

Copies of the disc have been made for two friends, according to Marty, solely to create an off site back up. No doubt those discs will start circulating. Marty also told me he had over 3,000 scans and the website you are referring to has about 800. He refrained from posting financial papers and others that pose potential legal issues. I am hoping he will send me. Copy of the disc. I want to see what the 2,000 remaining scans contain.
Wow, that's fascinating. I saw where Grams had some interesting tidbits on his blog about big-name actors that wanted to play villains, such as Kirk Douglas, who was all set to do it but had to back out because of a movie commitment.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17