1968 Cartoon- What's taking so long!?!?!?!?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bookworm

Re: 1968 Cartoon- What's taking so long!?!?!?!?

Post by Bookworm »

Warner Home Video just finished releasing all of the Superfriends cartoons in 2013, including season 4 (World's Greatest Superfriends), which was initially a Target exclusive. It looks as if they wanted to get that super hero series finished before continuing with other super hero releases. Hopefully, we'll see The Adventures of Batman in 2014.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Gernot wrote: I just wish they'd include the little features that went along with the cartoons.
You know these cartoons better than I, what were those "little features"?
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

As for concerns over violence, I grew up watching this version in reruns concurrently with the 66 series and I never had behavioral issues, but back in the 70s, organized parental groups like Action for Children's Television voiced concerns over violence in animated programming, and the result was kinder,gentler shows like Super Friends and the New Adventures of Batman. I watched out of loyalty to Adam, Burt, and Batman, but never took a liking to BatMite (voiced by studio co-owner Lou Scheimer).
Actually, I think if anything would spur a kid to violence, it would be a steady diet of cartoons from the "no violence" era. Another few episodes of something like "Yogi's Gang" and I would've been another Jeffrey Dahmer.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Bookworm wrote:
Gernot wrote: I just wish they'd include the little features that went along with the cartoons.
I THOUGHT I'd remembered Superman and some of the other heroes giving safety lessons and showing scientific tricks, but I couldn't find any references to any of this on-line. It's quite possible I mis-remembered and am thinking of the '70's SuperFriends instead. :)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Gernot wrote:
Bookworm wrote:
I THOUGHT I'd remembered Superman and some of the other heroes giving safety lessons and showing scientific tricks, but I couldn't find any references to any of this on-line. It's quite possible I mis-remembered and am thinking of the '70's SuperFriends instead. :)
I have volume 1 of Sesame Street Old School covering the first five years of the program. It includes an animated Batman/Robin short teaching kids about crossing the street. I don't know if there were other shorts in that vein, but it might be what you are remembering.
VABatfan

Post by VABatfan »

Gernot wrote:
Bookworm wrote:

My guess is what you are talking about can be found on the all new Super Friends hour dvds.
All New Super Friends Hour Vol 1

Also as far as the masters, they look fine to me over on Amazon Instant Video. Some of these cartoons were release in 1985 as part of the Super Powers Collection to vhs. There were four tapes, Batman, Superman, Superboy, and Aquaman. Each tape had four episodes I believe. With the news of live action show today, the '68 cartoon can't be far behind. Unless the recent passing of Lou Schimmer might hold it up.
droboogie

Post by droboogie »

Put me down as someone who wants the '68 animated show on DVD. No downloads for me.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Bookworm wrote: I have volume 1 of Sesame Street Old School covering the first five years of the program. It includes an animated Batman/Robin short teaching kids about crossing the street. I don't know if there were other shorts in that vein, but it might be what you are remembering.
As far as I can recall, there was a Filmation Superman segment on Sesame Street, too. I believe it focused on the letter "L."

If you really want more Filmation superheroes beyond the 60s series, there's always The Brady Kids cartoon (1972-73); the episode "Cindy's Super Friend" was likely the final time Superman was animated by the studio, and "It's All Greek to Me," featured the studio's one and only attempt at a cartoon version of Wonder Woman (in her Golden/early Silver Age appearance).
Beneath Wayne Manor
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

LA Batfan wrote:Actually, the later Filmation cartoon that DID use Adam and burt's voices IS available on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventures-Ba ... an+cartoon

It's the '68 show that's not out yet.
Unfortunately, the original 35mm film elements of the entire FILMATION library were transferred on digital by Hallmark in late '90s and then destroyed, yes, destroyed forever.
This means we'll never get any FIlmation series on blu-ray at a better quality, including Batman.
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

"In 1985, Warner Home Video released five selected episodes of the series on VHS in the "Super Powers" video collection along with Aquaman, Superboy and Superman. These videos were rereleased in 1996 and are out of print."

There's hope. Maybe WARNER acquired the 35mm prints long before the Big Destruction.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

If I recall correctly, all of the Filmation/DC product rights reverted to DC. This is why they were combined with Super Friends elements to form a Superman/Batman Adventures package that aired on USA in the early 90s and later Cartoon Network and Boomerang. Similarly, Shazam! is controlled by Warner, which has held distribution rights for years.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Bookworm and Bat-winged Hornet, there were three Batman and two Superman Sesame Street shorts, as far as I can recall.

Batman had:

Crossing the street (Joker)
Clean Vs. Dirty (Penguin)
Up, Through, and Around (unnamed thug)

Superman had:

The letter "D" (scenes from the Titano cartoon were used to make this)
The letter "S"

I know "Crossing", "Up", and "S" are all on youtube, if anyone wants to see them. Just search for "Sesame Street" and the name of the hero. :)

OR... If you guys wanna check out my blog, I DO have 'em all listed there! I'm NOT spamming, honest! If I were, I PROMISE you'd have heard of my blog WELL before now! It just happens that I've got something that actually fits into the conversation here! :)

http://mycomicboardbanners.blogspot.com ... e%20street
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Wait no longer! It's coming on DVD on June 3!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Adventures ... nced/19437

You could run these along with the upcoming Superman set and recreate the Batman-Superman Hour!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/New-Advent ... -2-3/19435