Questions about the show universe

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

60s TV Fan

Re: Questions about the show universe

Post by 60s TV Fan »

My own take on the subject is that the show is best watched and enjoyed at face value. The show, and I believe even the comics of the era, were not overly concerned with continuity and canon, so to try and apply it now, I believe, kind of skews the picture that the "original artists" presented. Basically, in my opinion, the Joker's skin was white... no explination was necessary; Frank Gorshin played the Riddler... so did John Astin... same Riddler. Likewise, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Eartha Kitt all played Catwoman; and (at least in) my opinion, there was only one Catwoman, and when each of these ladies played the role, "that" is the way Catwoman always was... if that makes any sense.
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

To quote Bugs Bunny "I don't ask questions; I just have fun!"

And that is just what we should do.

We can debate the comics to death (and we do!), but let's just enjoy the show.
dell

Post by dell »

60s TV Fan wrote:My own take on the subject is that the show is best watched and enjoyed at face value. The show, and I believe even the comics of the era, were not overly concerned with continuity and canon, so to try and apply it now, I believe, kind of skews the picture that the "original artists" presented. Basically, in my opinion, the Joker's skin was white... no explination was necessary; Frank Gorshin played the Riddler... so did John Astin... same Riddler. Likewise, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Eartha Kitt all played Catwoman; and (at least in) my opinion, there was only one Catwoman, and when each of these ladies played the role, "that" is the way Catwoman always was... if that makes any sense.
Your idea makes perfect sense and that is the way I view the show too.
dell
BatBomba

Post by BatBomba »

You're right, but it's fun to discuss about these things anyway! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Sugar Nick

Post by Sugar Nick »

I just saw the first episode the other day and that has the only reference to Bruce Wayne's origin. But it was the same as any other I suppose. His parents were killed by dastardly criminals!

I like how the awesome "Batman:the Brave and the bold" cartoon tried to sort of act as a continuation of the '66 series. In a flashback from "The Color of Revenge!" they showed Batman and Robin answering the red phone, the Shakespeare bust, the seat belt scene and a very Gorshin like Riddler.